Jack Marriott “ Off the Field Antics”

Arsene Titman

As ever, the reality is probably somewhere in between the more extreme points. My 2p is :

1. His style doesn't really suit the way we play right now

2. I too remember rumblings about his attitude, etc but I'm afraid I don't have the time or interest to research citations

3. For me, he works quite hard when he comes on but hasn't been effective at all so not sure why every goes mad for him to come on

4. Waghorn's touch IS dreadful. I watched him warming up at half-time t'other week and it was very evident that he's not a natural (unlike Bogle who's first touch is sublime)

Not sure why some posters jumped so hard on the OP - they were fair points. Loved the 'goto 10' reference made by someone tho - brings back memories.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In run of the mill league games he has been very poor in all reality

but in cup games play offs games and league games that went weird and turned into cup games ( Norwich away) he was fantastic 

he needs space and the ball over the top basically with only one defender to beat 

He was brilliant when Mount was in the team fully fit. He needs support from midfield, and as our buggers never go over the half way line,

he's not getting any joy,plus he's never had a run of games where he has started.

Id play him in a 433 with KB playing as a traditional CDM, with Holmes and maybe Sibley/Rooney as proper attacking midfielders.

From what ive seen of him he is the most natural finisher in the championship given decent service and support.

I don't buy this "bad apple" off antics stuff. Every team has a few difficult characters no matter what level you play at. Its how you manage them to get the best out of them.

Man management of these players has to be selective and well thought out. 

From a football sense its all about supply for this man. Derby would benefit from a midfielder able to bring the ball forward 10 yards and pick passes between the defenders. I think of Marriott's goals: QPR away last year, Wednesday away last year, Leeds away final goal. All about his movement and the pass through the lines.

In my opinion would be a huge short-sighted mistake to let him go and I'd happily hedge my bets he would go on to bang in goals wherever he went next if given a run of games and not chopped and changed. 

Hope to see him and Martin given a consistent run in the team and also with Rooney in for creativity and a fit Bielik for solidity would be interesting to see how we go. 

I follow Darragh MacAnthony, Peterborough's owner on Twitter. He's a very straightforward bloke and tends to answer most questions directly. He's been asked about Marriott being a poor trainer or a bad apple. He won't have any of it. He reckons at Posh he was an enthusiastic trainer and got on with everyone. 

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Marriott is by far the most natural goal poacher and finisher since we had Paul Simpson.  He will put away two in three given the chances .  That's the problem - no chances . It was only 7 months ago people were pooping themselves with rage when he didn't start at Wembley.  Scored in that one as I recall and two against Leeds .  If this charade carries on much longer I'm reporting you all to the portly strikers union.

720 mins on the pitch

1 goal, one assist

16 appearances. Average of 1.2 shots inside the box per game and 1.8 shots overall per game, meaning he's had around 30 shots, against tired players, and scored one of them. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/129773/Show/Jack-Marriott

19 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

720 mins on the pitch

1 goal, one assist

16 appearances. Average of 1.2 shots inside the box per game and 1.8 shots overall per game, meaning he's had around 30 shots, against tired players, and scored one of them. 

Those stats don't tell the whole story though, do they? The point people have made, which seems to have completely flown over your head, is that he gets bit parts, when what he needs is to play in a front 2 on a regular basis with good service from our midfield. If that had happened and his record was poor you would have a point, as it is you don't.

4 minutes ago, KCG said:

Those stats don't tell the whole story though, do they? The point people have made, which seems to have completely flown over your head, is that he gets bit parts, when what he needs is to play in a front 2 on a regular basis with good service from our midfield. If that had happened and his record was poor you would have a point, as it is you don't.

Good point. If we had Bannan in midfield and Jack had a run of games he’d be scoring a shed load in what is a poor Championship standard wise.

Barry Bannan only 30 this month, get him signed.

5 hours ago, Ramchop said:

720 mins on the pitch

1 goal, one assist

Are they tired . At the time of the game he comes on you will normally find a team in the lead or drawing will bring on a couple of fresh as a daisy defenders or defensive midfielders to secure points.

Also if he manages 1.8 shots per game, that would indicate he is by far our most effective striker as his 10 minute cameos provide pretty much all we manage in a match .  I will take the fact he scored 3 goals in the playoffs and goals against premier league opposition last year over a stat that proves little.

6 hours ago, Ramchop said:

720 mins on the pitch

1 goal, one assist

In that time , has he had the service he needs ?  , or has he been wading through treacle chasing 1/8th chances because we are not feeding the ball to him where he needs it. I like him and believe he can flourish . I put my head above the parapet and say if he goes elsewhere he will score shed loads .

We last saw this under Clough (at times) but we see it quiet a bit under Cocu...

A sub running onto the pitch in the second half still looking back at the management to seek clarity about his position - then the player trying to tell whichever team mates he passes what the changes are - then a few players moving positions - leaving a few players unsure what has just happened.

a shambles in other words

given that Marriott has often been that player it's not surprising that he isn't flourishing.

Lampard had his system. The players understood it. Schteeve changed it about - but the players knew what was what.

what we have now is a manager obsessed with the opposition and little else

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well for me Marriott when comes on gives his all and when he is on the ball he tries to make things happen like martin he needs people to move around him. But I think if we had like selby and homes you would have players to make the opening for him.

selby plays snooker

2 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

To cushion the feeling after another defeat? 

You never know we might get a break from the current losing streak

Archived