Jack Marriott “ Off the Field Antics”

Arsene Titman

1 minute ago, Arsene Titman said:

I didn’t contradict myself . I said I had seen references to off the field antics on other sites. Mention of antics was all they were. No details were given and I have personally heard no such rumours so my post was asking if anyone could enlighten me. I am not sure how that makes my post drivel. 

typical though, int it.

man gets benched

all of a sudden

"oh something must a happened behind scenes"

No one knows what happens behind closed doors, they're closed for a reason.

everything you hear is just speculation mate. people like to stir the pot.

did you know Keogh actually got sacked because he took Mrs. Morris out for a chippy?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or maybe... maybe... maybe... he’s just not very good?! Shocking isn’t it, I know it’s a stretch and it’s much more likely he’s banging Chris Martins missus. But we’ve gotta consider all possibilities. I mean with his goal scoring record of one goal all season, how could you leave him out?! And everything that he contributes in general play with his dawdling about and 5 touches a game. Can’t see how anyone wouldn’t play him myself.

Its simple for me. Marriott struggles for fitness, but he’s also a very mediocre player who’s a poacher and very little more. He’s not as good as Chris Martin or Martyn Waghorn. That’s why he’s not playing.

49 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I'm not having any of this 'Marriott doesn't train well' or 'isn't focused'.

The only reason he hasn't played under both Lampard and Cocu is because he's very one dimensional, he can't play as a loan striker - he's no good with back faced to goal to bring others in to play, which both Lampard and Cocu clearly like with Nuge and Martin, both very clever players. It's the same reason that Vydra failed under Mac, he couldn't play the loan striker he needed to have someone around him. All of sudden we played a style and system that suited him under Rowett and bang, he's the leagues top scorer. 

Marriott always looks to play on the shoulder which can be effective if your playing on the counter (worked on occasions with Lampard). In a possession based team, he's very ineffective.

For him to be most effective he needs to be played in a two, with someone he can work around which Coco clearly isn't willing to do.

Sad for us and Jack, but it's not going to work out at Derby for him under Coco, unless he changes our style of play to fit him in.  

sorry Joe, this bugs me more than there/their/they're, but it's "lone" striker mate. x

1 hour ago, Arsene Titman said:

I’ve seen more than one reference on other sites to Jack Marriott’s “off the field antics”. I know there are rumours about lack of effort in training but I’ve not heard of anything else. Certainly there has to be something besides injuries for two successive managers largely to ignore the squad’s only natural goal scorer. Does anyone know more about these alleged antics and, if they can enlighten us, will it get past the mods?

I can see things culminating in Marriott being shipped out . If so , it’s like the man who threw a boomerang at a ghost - it came back to haunt him

The only rumours are ones which seem to have been generated by fans speculating about why he's not being picked

The only thing I've raised on numerous occasions are Lampard's quotes about his fitness - Lampard said that the intensity Marriott plays with means he needs to be super-duper fit to maintain that for 90 mins in the Championship and he didn't think he was quite there yet - Essentially suggested that he needed an engine like Bryson to be his best for a full 90 - Think that's why he always seemed so much more effective coming off the bench

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

sorry Joe, this bugs me more than there/their/they're, but it's "lone" striker mate. x

Thanks mate, sorry about my mistake, you're the third person to look at the spelling rather than the points I'm making. 

Not that your punctuation is spot on either. 

40 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Or maybe... maybe... maybe... he’s just not very good?! Shocking isn’t it, I know it’s a stretch and it’s much more likely he’s banging Chris Martins missus. But we’ve gotta consider all possibilities. I mean with his goal scoring record of one goal all season, how could you leave him out?! And everything that he contributes in general play with his dawdling about and 5 touches a game. Can’t see how anyone wouldn’t play him myself.

Its simple for me. Marriott struggles for fitness, but he’s also a very mediocre player who’s a poacher and very little more. He’s not as good as Chris Martin or Martyn Waghorn. That’s why he’s not playing.

He is absolutely better than Waghorn in pretty much every respect. Him and Martin aren't even comparable as they're so different.

Waghorn's first touch is abysmal, I can't stress that enough, truly horrendous atm whereas Marriott can usually trap the ball quite well. He's a far better finisher, Waghorn had 2 1v1s against Preston and only managed to score when the ball inadvertently hit him... Marriott's pace also makes him a far bigger asset than Waghorn's physicality does.

Using goals as a measurement of quality doesn't work since Waghorn has played a lot more this season than Marriott has... but just to play along, that 1 goal Marriott nabbed against Bristol is a better example of attacking play than anything Waghorn has done this season.

The only game for us that I can remember Waghorn being the difference in, was Hull (H) last season when he played as a No.9, Marriott has been the difference in quite a few, most notably Leeds. We lose that game without Marriott, simple as that- and when that team included now-England internationals Mount & Tomori, I'm really struggling to see where this idea of 'mediocre' has come from.

There doesn't need to be any hidden agenda or any behind the scenes malarkey. I would say the simple truth is that he struggles with the physical demands of this level, the number of little injuries prevents him ever reaching the sharpness required to be the type of player he is.

We will only get a true idea of his actual ability when we find and stick with a formation that suits him, but his record of 1 league goal in 39 games is awful. And he has had chances this season. He needs games and goals to get back in form, but we carry enough passengers as it is.

He currently can't be relied on to be starter.

13 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

There doesn't need to be any hidden agenda or any behind the scenes malarkey. I would say the simple truth is that he struggles with the physical demands of this level, the number of little injuries prevents him ever reaching the sharpness required to be the type of player he is.

We will only get a true idea of his actual ability when we find and stick with a formation that suits him, but his record of 1 league goal in 39 games is awful. And he has had chances this season. He needs games and goals to get back in form, but we carry enough passengers as it is.

He currently can't be relied on to be starter.

Sure he scored 2 at Leeds last season towards the end of the season. Might not have been an important game though so guessing you may have forgot......... ? 

3 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Sure he scored 2 at Leeds last season towards the end of the season. Might not have been an important game though so guessing you may have forgot......... ? 

And that is completely irrelevant. You can't ignore all of his valid points and go 'yeah well he scored at Leeds', Marriott can't continue to dine on one game forever. BondJovi makes loads of good points.

38 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He is absolutely better than Waghorn in pretty much every respect. Him and Martin aren't even comparable as they're so different.

Waghorn's first touch is abysmal, I can't stress that enough, truly horrendous atm whereas Marriott can usually trap the ball quite well. He's a far better finisher, Waghorn had 2 1v1s against Preston and only managed to score when the ball inadvertently hit him... Marriott's pace also makes him a far bigger asset than Waghorn's physicality does.

Using goals as a measurement of quality doesn't work since Waghorn has played a lot more this season than Marriott has... but just to play along, that 1 goal Marriott nabbed against Bristol is a better example of attacking play than anything Waghorn has done this season.

The only game for us that I can remember Waghorn being the difference in, was Hull (H) last season when he played as a No.9, Marriott has been the difference in quite a few, most notably Leeds. We lose that game without Marriott, simple as that- and when that team included now-England internationals Mount & Tomori, I'm really struggling to see where this idea of 'mediocre' has come from.

Think you misjudge me as rating Waghorn. I don’t, and I entirely agree on his touch and finishing ability. But at least he still offers something in general play, unlike Marriott who just vanishes when he’s not chasing a through ball. Marriott has missed a fair few chances as well this season, given the amount of time he’s been on the pitch. You can put it down to lack of match sharpness, but if Waghorn has been wasteful, then so has Marriott. Marriott has made an impact with his goals. That’s about it. And there’s not enough of them to warrant having him in the team. He offers about as much as Kieran Dowell when he’s not in front of goal, and we simply cannot carry players like that, regardless of their natural finishing ability. At least Waghorn, despite his lack of technical ability, drops deep and puts the effort in. His strength is an asset as we really lack that in attack. He puts himself around and makes a nuisance of himself. Marriott doesn’t. In a team performing like ours, Marriott is useless.

But no, the only striker we have that I actually rate is Martin, and even he I don’t think is good enough for a team chasing promotion anymore. I hold hopes that Rooney will be the top class striker we need. But it certainly ain’t Marriott.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And that is completely irrelevant. You can't ignore all of his valid points and go 'yeah well he scored at Leeds', Marriott can't continue to dine on one game forever. BondJovi makes loads of good points.

I was taking the micky out of a stat that was wrong, that was all. Totally agree with all his points and have raised this on another thread which i am guessing was also titled Jack Marriott.....

"Marriott has only scored one goal in 39 games" - it might be worth totalling up how many actual minutes of football he has played, because a massive number of his appearances have been as a sub, coming on late on in the game. When he has started, he has been put in the lone striker role which he can't do. Ironically, in the last match Chris Martin was in the lone role, or should I say the lonely role, because he was up on his own with virtually no support, but the team kept playing the ball into the channels, which isn't Chris's game at all, yet he soldiered on running the channels. Why the hell didn't they do this when Marriott was the lonely guy because he has the pace to do that job well. We could also criticise Martin for not scoring, even though he gets little support, and is hung out to dry. Thankfully we don't.

And the idea that Marriott disappears when he isn't running onto through balls is also wide of the mark. He is often to be seen coming deep to get the ball, and actually plays some really good link up play. We haven't seen much of it this season simply because of his multitudinous substitute appearances, coming on when the game has already been lost, and we haven't really got control of the match.

What ewe need is for Cocu to analyse the last few matches and realise that we looked the most like a football team when we went two up front.

Archived