Jayden Bogle - Left for Sheffield United

Rev

22 minutes ago, europia said:

I wonder how this fits the chairmans strategy for the academy. Is the academy's objective to produce players to sell to PL clubs, or to produce a Derby County team, over a period of time, capable of getting promoted and competing at the top level? 

Running the academy isn't cheap, if the sales of players being generated from it are just enough to cover the annual costs then it's just wooden dollars.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, europia said:

Understand what you are saying, but we sold Will Hughes and Jeff to balance the books / reinvest, but we are no further forward. Are we?

it’s not just about progress, it’s about survival now and, sadly, we need to sell to survive

The players have a say as well and, frankly, they outgrow the club eventually and I for one would wish them well and enjoy following their progress 

3 minutes ago, Jram said:

it’s not just about progress, it’s about survival now and, sadly, we need to sell to survive

The players have a say as well and, frankly, they outgrow the club eventually and I for one would wish them well and enjoy following their progress 

Granted, it certainly isn't about progress. 

9 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

He did play in the Euro U21s and his value did not go up after it as he only started one game. 

And his value is now reported to be £15m. Hardly a massive increase in value after 3 years in the EPL. 

Derby fans seemed annoyed at the sale price of Hughes as we thought he would be worth £30m when he first came through. He wasn't then and isn't now. Hopefully he will be one day.

It was reported before the tournament and he’d officially gone before his man of the match display against Germany 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Understand what you are saying, but we sold Will Hughes and Jeff to balance the books / reinvest, but we are no further forward. Are we?

We’re still paying for that one wild season of spending under Clement. You remove that from the equation and we’re very much on track with the plan. 

11 hours ago, europia said:

Granted, it certainly isn't about progress. 

Sometimes things pay off and sometimes they don't - That's life unfortunately 

The intent, always is to sell players to bring money in and re-invest in improving the squad - The idea is to produce multiple youngsters every year from the academy some of whom will move on and some of whom will stay - We've sold two players who broke through 2 years ago - Last year we had 4 players break into the first team picture - Hopefully this year it will be 3/4 more - If you sell a couple every now and then it's the price of running a successful academy - Would you rather we only produced bang average players and sold them for peanuts to Burton? Or do you want to just play the U-18s as the first team and not invest in any senior players?

On top of that - Is it really fair to stand in the way of 2 young lads having a crack at the Premier League? With the current squad we aren't getting there this season so we "Hughes" both of them? Make them stay far longer than they should do with the vague promise of promotion and by the time someone comes in for them it's a PL struggler who doesn't make best use of them? Nah - If we can get a good fee and it's a good deal for the players then it's only fair to give them a chance

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

We’re still paying for that one wild season of spending under Clement. You remove that from the equation and we’re very much on track with the plan. 

Clement gets a lot of bad press; easy scapegoat. Not sure how much input he had in some of the purchases, but I accept Olsen, Blackman and Camera were definitely likely to be his picks.  We have brought and paid high for some dross, but it has been wage costs/squad size that has caused us the issues regarding profitability. Very unlikely that any of our managers were involved in the negotiations on fees, wages, contract length. Need to look a bit higher up the club for the answers.

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Clement gets a lot of bad press; easy scapegoat. Not sure how much input he had in some of the purchases, but I accept Olsen, Blackman and Camera were definitely likely to be his picks.  We have brought and paid high for some dross, but it has been wage costs/squad size that has caused us the issues regarding profitability. Very unlikely that any of our managers were involved in the negotiations on fees, wages, contract length. Need to look a bit higher up the club for the answers.

Clement was a strong character no doubt he asked for and got what he wanted plus he was a Sam Rush pick. Took a while for Mel to see that he was all talk and no walk , look at his career since. We had some  good moments under Clement but there seems to be a lot going off behind the scenes that we will probably never find out. Telling that no comment from Clement since ( only from his brother ) , think this was the end of Rush as well.

56 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I’m not blaming only him but it’s easier to identify that season by the gaffer than the year ?

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Clement was a strong character no doubt he asked for and got what he wanted plus he was a Sam Rush pick. Took a while for Mel to see that he was all talk and no walk , look at his career since. We had some  good moments under Clement but there seems to be a lot going off behind the scenes that we will probably never find out. Telling that no comment from Clement since ( only from his brother ) , think this was the end of Rush as well.

He must have been a strong character - he was going to be our Alex Fergusson ?

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wild spending on poor players after they were proclaimed to have had a good season but not what we actually needed who  I am sure clement didn’t know much about - for this I hold Sam Rush to account 

2 minutes ago, YoxallRam said:

https://twitter.com/sheffieldunited/status/1303289412546179079?s=21

Sheffield United have confirmed it was £4.5m for Bogle and £4.5m for Lowe.

Hope there’s sizeable addons if that was the fee for Bogle. Lowe not really worth more than 2 million, but Bogle should be 10 million minimum really. The reported 15 million before it went through seemed about right, maybe that’s how much we’ll make from the deal with addons included? 

Archived