Jayden Bogle - Left for Sheffield United

Rev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

All this talk of price seems to be underpinned by the assumption that we sell our players off on the cheap. Other than Will Hughes, for whom we don't know the true price, and who is a decent Premier League player and no more as of yet, can anyone tell me anyone else in the past decade we've sold off on the cheap.

I'll wait...

Not sure these are all last decade and not all prem but I think they set the tone for the feeling

Rasiak, Huddlestone, Poom, Hendrick, Stephen Davis, Cyrus Christie, Russell, Shotton, Vydra, Ince

Just now, Dethorn said:

Not sure these are all last decade and not all prem but I think they set the tone for the feeling

Rasiak, Huddlestone, Poom, Hendrick, Stephen Davis, Cyrus Christie, Russell, Shotton, Vydra, Ince

We got good prices for Hendrick, Vydra, and Christie at a minimum, and the fee for since was fine. Shotton is one that went cheap in hindsight because a team paid more later but he was universally not rated here, and Russell only had 6 months left I believe.

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

We got good prices for Hendrick, Vydra, and Christie at a minimum, and the fee for since was fine. Shotton is one that went cheap in hindsight because a team paid more later but he was universally not rated here, and Russell only had 6 months left I believe.

Wow just looked up Hendrick and it was more than double what I remebered so I take that one - I was just trying to suggest deals that may harbour that feeling,

Vydra signed for £8M sold for undisclosed...

I believed Christie was undosclosed too

42 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

The first three are good but rather old examples and probably where this feeling of flogging off cheap comes from. Davies was about 750k and was about the right value as was Christie at £2.5m. Vydra, Ince and Hendrick were all pretty good deals for Derby. Russell was near the end of his contract and he is in the MLS where he is doing well at a relatively poor league. Paul Coutts went on to do well at Sheff Utd but was poor for us.

I think we've done ok with player sales over the past decade. Purchases are a very different story though... 

2 hours ago, sage said:

I thought these threads were closed down as soon as the sale was confirmed. 

That's never been the case - they usually just die on their own after a couple of days of reacting.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's never been the case - they usually just die on their own after a couple of days of reacting.

Oh it's just with you moving the Chris Martin thread into 'ex-Rams' within 1 minute of the transfer being confirmed. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Oh it's just with you moving the Chris Martin thread into 'ex-Rams' within 1 minute of the transfer being confirmed. 

? That was a new thread that got started when he signed for Bristol after he'd already left us. He didn't transfer from us to Bristol. Had no place in the Transfers forum.

11 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Sometimes things pay off and sometimes they don't - That's life unfortunately The intent, always is to sell players to bring money in and re-invest in improving the squad - The idea is to produce multiple youngsters every year from the academy some of whom will move on and some of whom will stay - We've sold two players who broke through 2 years ago - Last year we had 4 players break into the first team picture - Hopefully this year it will be 3/4 more - If you sell a couple every now and then it's the price of running a successful academy -

Yep, sounds great in theory. 

I remember when we sold Malcolm Christie to Boro, Riggott went in the same deal, allegedly allowing the club to shaft Nuneaton over Christie's sell-on fee by putting more money against the Riggott transfer.

I've seen some comments that we've done the same again, as there was probably a sell-on fee owed to Swindon for Bogle.

If true, the ruthless financial reality of running a football club rears its ugly head. And makes clear to me we should never rely on add-ons ourselves and always try to get as much as we can up front.

[Apologies if this is covered earlier in the long thread and I've missed it]

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember when we sold Malcolm Christie to Boro, Riggott went in the same deal, allegedly allowing the club to shaft Nuneaton over Christie's sell-on fee by putting more money against the Riggott transfer.

I've seen some comments that we've done the same again, as there was probably a sell-on fee owed to Swindon for Bogle.

I hope neither of those things are true. And if they are then surely that's the last time we would be able to sign a lower league prospect for anything other than cold hard cash?

27 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If true, the ruthless financial reality of running a football club rears its ugly head. And makes clear to me we should never rely on add-ons ourselves and always try to get as much as we can up front.

[Apologies if this is covered earlier in the long thread and I've missed it]

I'm not sure it's something I'd particularly want to do as a buying club with the existence of FFP - I wouldn't want the worse player of a double signing (Lowe) having the majority of the fee across his four year contract because the liklihood of him not developing is higher than with Bogle - I get that they're a PL club and this money was basically peanuts to them but I'd still be hesitant about being reckless with any amount of spend.

Archived