Jayden Bogle - Left for Sheffield United

Rev

31 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember when we sold Malcolm Christie to Boro, Riggott went in the same deal, allegedly allowing the club to shaft Nuneaton over Christie's sell-on fee by putting more money against the Riggott transfer.

I've seen some comments that we've done the same again, as there was probably a sell-on fee owed to Swindon for Bogle.

If true, the ruthless financial reality of running a football club rears its ugly head. And makes clear to me we should never rely on add-ons ourselves and always try to get as much as we can up front.

[Apologies if this is covered earlier in the long thread and I've missed it]

I get your sentiment, but they're just two unsubstantiated claims which anyone with half a mischievous brain cell could come out with. In practicality, it would made the club look extremely bad and make many teams steer clear of doing business with us. I can't for a second think we would do that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember when we sold Malcolm Christie to Boro, Riggott went in the same deal, allegedly allowing the club to shaft Nuneaton over Christie's sell-on fee by putting more money against the Riggott transfer.

I've seen some comments that we've done the same again, as there was probably a sell-on fee owed to Swindon for Bogle.

If true, the ruthless financial reality of running a football club rears its ugly head. And makes clear to me we should never rely on add-ons ourselves and always try to get as much as we can up front.

[Apologies if this is covered earlier in the long thread and I've missed it]

I think this is a rumour that people have concocted because they don't see why a Premier League club would want Lowe as he was apparently "not good enough to play for Derby". When you have teams like Brentford and Sheff Utd sniffing around it must mean there's something to the player that we're missing.

Lowe's stats show he's generally really good defensively in terms of intercepting the ball, perfect for the two teams above who like to defend high and press, which sadly we're not suited to at all.

Uh-oh....

£7m for both? I call BS on that.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/what-sheffield-united-really-paid-sign-Derby-county-duo-jayden-bogle-and-max-lowe-2966521

"Although the exact sum required to trigger the duo’s release from Pride Park remains undisclosed, sources close to the negotiation process claim it is around £5m less than the figure being reported in some sections of the media.

Acquiring two of the Championship’s most promising young defenders for around £3.5m apiece would represent a major coup for Bramall Lane’s transfer negotiation team, although it remains in County’s interest to stick to the original line fed to journalists during the sale process.

It means Chris Wilder has so far spent less than £20m overhauling his squad ahead of the new Premier League season - which United begin with a home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday. (Kick-off 6pm)."

5 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

although it remains in County’s interest to stick to the original line fed to journalists during the sale process

Only to stop the natives getting restless.

In our negotiations with Lech Poznan, it would better to say we didn't get anything for them, that we gave them away on free transfers.

5 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

Uh-oh....

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/what-sheffield-united-really-paid-sign-Derby-county-duo-jayden-bogle-and-max-lowe-2966521

"Although the exact sum required to trigger the duo’s release from Pride Park remains undisclosed, sources close to the negotiation process claim it is around £5m less than the figure being reported in some sections of the media.

Acquiring two of the Championship’s most promising young defenders for around £3.5m apiece would represent a major coup for Bramall Lane’s transfer negotiation team, although it remains in County’s interest to stick to the original line fed to journalists during the sale process.

It means Chris Wilder has so far spent less than £20m overhauling his squad ahead of the new Premier League season - which United begin with a home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday. (Kick-off 6pm)."

They are not the only ones suggesting this but we just don’t know and anyway there is nothing we can do about it 

35 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

Uh-oh....

Sounds about right.

£7m upfront, £2m a year in installments over their 4 yr deals.

£7m upfront isnt bad, it’s the staggered addons that are what can be good or bad. Think of the accounting here. If there’s nothing behind the upfront fee, it’s criminal. But Uncle Mel and Slick Stephen know what they’re doing, so there could be the same in increments, bonuses for European Qualification and sell on clauses we don’t need to disclose, but could benefit from. 

We will never know, could easily be Sheffield trying to make out what a good deal they’ve done. Or Sheffield trying to us a favour in our negotiation over Jozwiak.

And £5m lower than some reports - Sky were saying £15m which makes it £10m! 

Regardless of the fees involved the key measure in all this is with the incomings and outgoings is the “team” stronger as a result and are we compliant with P&S. 

I would happily submit a vote of no confidence if the rumours of the fee via the Sheffield Star is even remotely true. I simply can't bring myself to believe it, perhaps because I don't want to, but if that is true then it is nothing bar rank incompetence. If it's £7m with X amount of add-ons up to £15m then I can take it, but we've still not got a good deal out of an outgoing player whichever way you look at it. 

Jeff Hendrick and Matej Vydra wasn't bad, albeit I thought Vydra was probably a 'fair' representation. I would say these deal leans towards the Will Hughes scale. Mel Morris, for all his positive attributes, struggles to sell players for market value. I guess it comes down to whoever negotiates, but still doesn't fill me with confidence. Sibley and Bird will probably get sold to Leeds for £10m plus add-ons in the next 12 months ?

Just now, Ambitious said:

I would happily submit a vote of no confidence if the rumours of the fee via the Sheffield Star is even remotely true. I simply can't bring myself to believe it, perhaps because I don't want to, but if that is true then it is nothing bar rank incompetence. If it's £7m with X amount of add-ons up to £15m then I can take it, but we've still not got a good deal out of an outgoing player whichever way you look at it. 

Jeff Hendrick and Matej Vydra wasn't bad, albeit I thought Vydra was probably a 'fair' representation. I would say these deal leans towards the Will Hughes scale. Mel Morris, for all his positive attributes, struggles to sell players for market value. I guess it comes down to whoever negotiates, but still doesn't fill me with confidence. Sibley and Bird will probably get sold to Leeds for £10m plus add-ons in the next 12 months ?

You say you can't bring yourself to believe it, then talk yourself round regardless! 

It's a £15 million deal, half up front, the rest in installments, not requiring any targets to be met, any add ons will be supplementary, a common arrangement in most transfers.

We can claim a £15m deal, they can claim half that.

I've no evidence for this, but neither has the Star.

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Given we don't know the value of this deal, and other than Hughes (who has been only moderately successful at Watford), who have we not had market value for under Mel?

25 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

You say you can't bring yourself to believe it, then talk yourself round regardless! 

It's a £15 million deal, half up front, the rest in installments, not requiring any targets to be met, any add ons will be supplementary, a common arrangement in most transfers.

We can claim a £15m deal, they can claim half that.

I've no evidence for this, but neither has the Star.

I'm in inclined to believe we got towards the upper end of reported figures, but why would Shef Utd need to be paying us in instalments? They aren't short of cash and we surely would prefer the payment in one big lump rather than dribbled over several years.

Archived