Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one for mel simply because he will have more idea about the whole situation and atmosphere at the club ,,, the honest truth is that it has been a total clusterfxck from the minute the lampard to Chelsea rumours started before our big day at Wembley what with players leaving ,not great replacements ,injuries , drunkgate,player sackings ,undoing Marriott mystery that was in place before cocu and god knows what else ,

on the face of it we feel that cocu is not doing as well as he could even with all this but the truth is ,who knows?, is he a big part of the problem or is he doing a big job of firefighting? 
to sack him this early in these circumstances with the financial implications a pay off brings and getting the right replacement is one BIG call ,

any of us fans certain enough to make it?

34 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not meant as a catty comment but I would assume that some of the same posters on here also thought Cocu was a good piece of recruitment when he arrived.

I guess what I'm saying is that hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Cocu yet may come good who knows - bear in mind that Dowell has had as long as Cocu to prove his worth and many are saying the loan deal with Dowell should be terminated as soon as possible. 

Comparing Cocu and Dowell is nonsense. 

20 hours ago, David Baker said:

I very much trust Mel Morris to get this right. I am sure that Mel, like most of us, has made the occasional mistake in his time, but, overall, I feel that his antennae, and judgement, are both pretty good. Also, Mel may well be constrained, by the "Duet" situation, at this time. However, to play devil's advocate, for a moment, Napoleon always appointed lucky generals.

Welcome

26 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Comparing Cocu and Dowell is nonsense. 

Their respective length of tenures at the club is the same. The status quo is that after the same time period Dowell should be kicked back to Everton.

I don't see many posters on here advocating giving Dowell more time, the opinion has already been formed.

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Their respective length of tenures at the club is the same. The status quo is that after the same time period Dowell should be kicked back to Everton.

I don't see many posters on here advocating giving Dowell more time, the opinion has already been formed.

and their job is completely different. Cocu has to build an entire squad to compete with the championship after being thrown in the deep end by Lampard...and drowned by his club captain, Lawerence and Bennett. 

Dowell has to try and play football, which from what i've seen, he can't really do. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, how can u judge him properly before he has had at least one proper window to recruit players he feels will fit his system. Was Rooney his choice? I believe FL 1st made an approach, and PC has no choice but to run with it too. Dowell, Belik, Patts... were any  truly his choice, do we know for certain ? Or did he land here and new we needed to replace those loans that left, and was told these guys are available and had no time to properly ? Now he knows what's what here, and with the anticipated investment fingers crossed he can find players he has personally approved, then, we can judge. 

Arguments in favour of Cocu;

No pre-season

Walked in with three of last season’s starters gone

Joinersgate

We’re currently without our first-choice centre-half pairing and our first, second and third choice centre-mids. 

Having to go long as both ball-playing centre-halves are injured/sacked

Against;

Still feel as though a 4-3-3 is the way to go. At present it’s too narrow and conservative. The wingers are playing where the hypothetical #8s would be and the only width is the full-backs. 

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

and their job is completely different. Cocu has to build an entire squad to compete with the championship after being thrown in the deep end by Lampard...and drowned by his club captain, Lawerence and Bennett. 

Dowell has to try and play football, which from what i've seen, he can't really do. 

It's very simplistic to attribute all of Cocus failings down to things outside of his sphere of influence.

What is he doing within his sphere to motivate, coach, manage and give direction to the players he has inherited, on the basis of this season so far very little. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's very simplistic to attribute all of Cocus failings down to things outside of his sphere of influence.

What is he doing within his sphere to motivate, coach, manage and give direction to the players he has inherited, on the basis of this season so far very little. 

wrong

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Do we know he's doing none of those things? Maybe the situation is even worse than we actually know within the squad. Last season it appeared that each member would be willing to walk through a brick wall to help their mates. This season it looks as though most of them don't even know their teammates. Is that down to Cocu? If you were really good friends with a workmate and a new manager arrived who you didn't agree with his methods would you throw your mate to one side? Even if your mate felt that the manager had good points which you just couldn't see? Just maybe the squad is completely broken and Cocu is doing an incredible job to get out of it what he is doing?

l'm just speaking rubbish really, I haven't got a clue about anything at the club. Just trying to be the Devil's advocate. If there is anyone who has got inside information on the morale within the team perhaps they could enlighten us. At the moment we just see what @Tyler Durden is referring to but it's also possible as I have said that Cocu is holding everything together.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So they will be disappointed then.

Speaking of the recruitment staff & linking to our beloved Jim Smith, someone knew what they were doing back then

Examples - Rory Delap - signed from Carlisle for 200k, sold for £4m to Southampton

Christian Dailly - signed from Dundee Utd for £500k, sold to Blackburn for £5.3m

Seth Johnson - signed from Crewe for £2.5m, sold to Leeds for £7m

plus the long list of foreign players bought cheap & sold big like Wanchope, Poom etc

Wonder where that recruitment team is now ( unless it was all down to Jim Smith ? ) we could do with employing them again

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Do we know he's doing none of those things? Maybe the situation is even worse than we actually know within the squad. Last season it appeared that each member would be willing to walk through a brick wall to help their mates. This season it looks as though most of them don't even know their teammates. Is that down to Cocu? If you were really good friends with a workmate and a new manager arrived who you didn't agree with his methods would you throw your mate to one side? Even if your mate felt that the manager had good points which you just couldn't see? Just maybe the squad is completely broken and Cocu is doing an incredible job to get out of it what he is doing?

l'm just speaking rubbish really, I haven't got a clue about anything at the club. Just trying to be the Devil's advocate. If there is anyone who has got inside information on the morale within the team perhaps they could enlighten us. At the moment we just see what @Tyler Durden is referring to but it's also possible as I have said that Cocu is holding everything together.

We have no idea what damage various events have done behind the scenes. If Cocu was responsible for all the mess I have no doubt Mel would have canned him by now. The last comment from Mel about Cocu was that people don't see the fantastic work behind the scenes, does that include keeping the players onside? If this is the case, surely better to let the man who is witnessing it first hand to sort it out, rather than a new face who has to discover this all over again.

I don't see a togetherness on the pitch but I don't see players not playing for the manager. Look at Martin, probably his best spell in terms of attitude and fight for a long time. 

If we could say that despite the lack of depth and quality hes doing well and we can see positive it wouldn't be so bad, but I dont feel he is and we can.

He'll be here until the end of the season at least unless Mel gets rid after Saturday,otherwise so him (or someone new) are given a proper transfer window,but I feel if he was going to go the right time would of been after the millwall match....I cant see him going anywhere 

Hes had long enough to line up new signings and assess who he needs so I would be disappointed if we dont see major and much needed improvements in January (not just the obvious quality of Wazza)

Merry Christmas xx

Archived