Cocu’s taking us up...

DCFC27

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Bit early in the day to be so intoxicated!!!

11 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Bit early in the day to be so intoxicated!!!

Hey... It is Friday, after all... I don't think any of us will think any less of you.  You enjoy it mate!   

2 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

I actually agree.

I really think Cocu looks the part, in his suit on the touchline. I also like the way he doesn’t spend the game bellowing, like a Pulis, but instead has a few chosen commands for his players; I think he’s the best we’ve seen at this.

I also like the way his assistant manager is always flipping through a folder, I know he has pages of tactics in there and the way they are bringing through Rosenior, with his ear piece and very own tactics folder, is nothing short of class.

Every time I see Given on the bench, he also looks the part with his furrowed brow and I think this level of professionalism is filtering down, for example, I think the way the medical team run on and do that thing where they crouch on one knee and talk, via earpiece, to the bench is exemplary.

I personally think that, to look at, our coaching set-up is top half Premier league easily, maybe top 6 and I think Cocu is taking us there ?

Ear pieces are very important to give the right look. Its worked for those ancient guys on the side-lines of the NFL for ages ?

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I admire your optimism and share your thoughts that Cocu knows what he's doing. 

I still think we are in for further pain before the end of the year because our squad simply isn't strong enough. 

But, assuming he gets the personnel he wants in January there's no reason why we can't get into the play-offs. 

Hope so. Do you think he has enough room to manoeuvre in Jan? Not so sure.... 

It's a season to stand still as far as I'm concerned. Losing Mount [ in particular], Tomori and Wilson was always going to give us major problems. They haven't been replaced. I doubt Frank would have done very much with the remainder of the squad, particularly with the injuries we've had.

I'm looking at this season as an opportunity to see which of the Academy players are good enough. I'm sure we are all hoping that there's 3 or 4 who can make the step up.

I'll take a mid table finish unless we suddenly find a way to bring in a number of quality experienced players in January . We're not good enough to challenge with this squad. I don't blame anyone for that and I don't have unrealistic expectations either. 

There have been many worse times in my 50 year plus period of being a Rams fan. I still think the 2020/21 season might be worth the wait.

4 hours ago, Anon said:

It takes courage to post a thread like this.

Dutch courage.

Lots and lots of it.

Love how original poster conveniently forgets the fact that games like Wigan we were not even the better team, so for every point we should/could have had, there is a point we did not deserve.

We didn't create a single good opportunity against Wigan, we didn't create a single good chance against Luton, we created one good chance against Charlton (Although Bennett is never going to score a one on one) and Leeds killed us.

We are actually lucky we're not bottom 6.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Come again? We’ve been hard to break down? Think Conor Sammon could bang a couple in past our defence!

I agree that it’s too early to say that Cocus not going to be a success here in the long run, but I absolutely dispute saying he’s done a good job. We’ve not been remotely unlucky imo, in fact we’ve been the opposite. We’ve played poorly so far, simple as that, below even mid table standard imo. We’ve been lucky to get a few results like the Luton one to lift us into what I see as a bit of a false position. I don’t think we’ve quite been one of the worst teams in the division so I don’t think we’ll threaten relegation, but we’ll drop away from the top half if we keep playing like this imo. Results like Brentford and Charlton haven’t been uncharacteristic, they’ve been pretty much what you’d expect from the quality of performances we’ve been putting in.

The performances need to improve quite dramatically imo for us to be pushing near the top of the table. Rooney arriving will obviously help, you’d think he’ll still be the best player in the league even at his age. But he can’t do it all on his own, we need tactical improvement from Cocu as well, and improvement from the recruitment team to find the other players were crying out for.

Far too early to rule out a push at the top, but were miles away from it atm in terms of the level of our performances. We could still challenge, nothing is out the picture at this stage in the season, but we need big improvement. And Cocu needs to improve a lot too, or he won’t make the end of the season.

18 goals conceded this season. 6 of those were penalties. I think another 6 are from set pieces (FKs and corners). Simple errors which when addressed, can be the difference between a side facing relegation and a side chasing automatics.

I don’t forget those, I came out of Wigan thinking that’s 2 points nicked but at the same time I thought we were the only team likely to win it, in the second half when we got Martin on we posed them a threat as the ball was held up. Teams are always going to sit back at PP against us. 

Likewise Leeds we stayed in the game for as long as possible and we took our chance when it came. 

You can’t tell me we didn’t deserve to beat WBA??? Where we should have been 2 goals clear missed pen etc. Barnsley we dominated all game, should have got the 3rd only for them to score in the last seconds. Swansea missed Pen. Cardiff we were definitely the better team. 

I’ve watched every minute of these games and it genuinely is tiny margins where like I say January could equip us to push them in our favour. Cocu got it. 

58 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Love how original poster conveniently forgets the fact that games like Wigan we were not even the better team, so for every point we should/could have had, there is a point we did not deserve.

We didn't create a single good opportunity against Wigan, we didn't create a single good chance against Luton, we created one good chance against Charlton (Although Bennett is never going to score a one on one) and Leeds killed us.

We are actually lucky we're not bottom 6.

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

18 goals conceded this season. 6 of those were penalties. I think another 6 are from set pieces (FKs and corners). Simple errors which when addressed, can be the difference between a side facing relegation and a side chasing automatics.

That’s just it though, far too many simple errors. And the number of penalties we’ve given away is indicative of the lack of organisation of our defence. They are all basic errors which is what makes it so frustrating, but I don’t even think our defence is capable of the basics, that’s the trouble.

I fully expect a mental end to the season. Cocu will get the players to believe in his tactics, Rooney should help, but the league is wide open with very little between half the division.

I'll be really surprised if were not in or around the top 6 going into April.

it would be such a "Derby" thing to do to go up this season.

1 hour ago, DcfcJB said:

I don’t forget those, I came out of Wigan thinking that’s 2 points nicked but at the same time I thought we were the only team likely to win it, in the second half when we got Martin on we posed them a threat as the ball was held up. Teams are always going to sit back at PP against us. 

Likewise Leeds we stayed in the game for as long as possible and we took our chance when it came. 

You can’t tell me we didn’t deserve to beat WBA??? Where we should have been 2 goals clear missed pen etc. Barnsley we dominated all game, should have got the 3rd only for them to score in the last seconds. Swansea missed Pen. Cardiff we were definitely the better team. 

I’ve watched every minute of these games and it genuinely is tiny margins where like I say January could equip us to push them in our favour. Cocu got it. 

Every one has different opinions which is fair enough.

Tables dont lie after 46 games and I dont think its lieing now either. The lack of clear chances we dont create is alarming. However, I think we are full of very average players so it would take one hell of a coach to turn them into top six. How much I blame Cocu for the personnel - Only a little.

8 hours ago, europia said:

Hope so. Do you think he has enough room to manoeuvre in Jan? Not so sure.... 

I think it partly depends on how willing we are to take a loss on some of the deadwood in our squad.

There are quite a few who aren’t good enough and never will be.

Archived