Cocu’s taking us up...

DCFC27

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Mckram said:

We had the opportunity to get loan players in this season but ended up with 2 very average players in Dowell and Clarke.

Roos, Malone, Bogle, Lawrence, Waghorn, Marriott, Holmes were all part of Lampards team last season, so are they now no longer good enough?

We got rid of Bryson and Johnson who everyone said were no longer good enough but played for Lampard.

We signed a £10m player, is he not good enough? 

I have no doubt that if Lampard was here this season we would be doing better than we are now. 

Just to reiterate, Lampard had three of the best players in the league. We have also lost Johnson, Bryson and Keogh. Do you honestly think Lampard could do better with this team? If he could, I would then also say he seriously underperformed with the talent at his disposal last year and we should now be in the prem.

23 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

As far as Im concerned forest, preston and fulham games are nailed on lossess

I know you love Forest, but they have been absolutely garbage in their last two games - certainly no better than us. Fulham I will give you since they are in London and we may as well not bother sending a team for that one. Preston I've no idea, but neither Leeds nor WBA managed to beat us when we played them.

Just now, GenBr said:

I know you love Forest, but they have been absolutely garbage in their last two games - certainly no better than us. Fulham I will give you since they are in London and we may as well not bother sending a team for that one. Preston I've no idea, but neither Leeds nor WBA managed to beat us when we played them.

Its the enormity of the occasion that will get to our players and we have no leader without carson, huddlestone and keogh

We’re still not going down everyone, there’s no way that performance was of one of the worst teams in the league. But we’re still a poor team who can’t get anywhere near the results required to go up. Cocu needs to do better (his subs were baffling today) but he’s been sold a dud of a job. 

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We’re still not going down everyone, there’s no way that performance was of one of the worst teams in the league. But we’re still a poor team who can’t get anywhere near the results required to go up. Cocu needs to do better (his subs were baffling today) but he’s been sold a dud of a job. 

I gave you a like, but out of curiosity, who would you have subbed off and who would have come on?

Bar terrible (again) defensive work by lowe(both of our full backs seem to be terrible under pressure when the ball is above their head) we weren't the worse side ever.

Edit: He did bring Marriott on, the rest of the choices on the bench weren't great?

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

An absolute dud. I honestly think this is the hardest time at Derby since Clough took over from Jewell. This time has been coming every season we pushed for promotion and fell short. Just storing up issues for the next man.  

On 25/10/2019 at 16:55, DcfcJB said:

I actually believe Cocu is doing great, if you look at the games we should have won but we didn’t due to wastefulness in front of goal or defensive error we would be 8 points better off, guess where that would put us...? 

Bearing in mind the cards he has been dealt this season, he is starting to put his philosophy in to action. Taking out 2 very uncharacteristic performances at Charlton and Brentford. We have been very difficult to break down and beat and we should have won a lot of the games we have drawn. Swansea/WBA/Barnsley/Cardiff. We had a very good and hard earned point vs Leeds and a 50/50 with Stoke. 

If we keep this sort of form until January we shall have Rooney come in, who let’s face it can only improve us, I would hope we can invest in a winger and a keeper and we should be competing at the top. 

There is no panic coming from Cocu, he knows he’s building a squad and he knows who he can trust to win him promotion and probably knows who he’s going to bring in to replace them in January. 

I would say hopefully he will get us the momentum we need this season January onwards and then see where it takes us. 

I’m afraid you are watching something different to me then, maybe he should gather a settled side and give some youth a run rather than chopping and changing. That way at least next season we are better equipped, he’s not the answer long term on the evidence of what we are seeing so far....

3 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

I gave you a like, but out of curiosity, who would you have subbed off and who would have come on?

Bar terrible (again) defensive work by lowe(both of our full backs seem to be terrible under pressure when the ball is above their head) we weren't the worse side ever.

Edit: He did bring Marriott on, the rest of the choices on the bench weren't great?

Taking dowell off was the wrong call imo. He was doing alright at that point and retaining the ball in the final third, Holmes was struggling as he has to be careful not to get sent off. Waghorn should’ve come on at that point as well instead of Whittaker, I don’t think the latter is physically ready yet. Think that sub was quite damaging to our prospects. He was too late to get Marriott involved as well. 

In terms of the fullbacks, they do have to be better at stopping crosses, but I wouldn’t be too harsh on them today. Neither winger really offered them any support or options, so both were really doing two men’s jobs. And most the game they did it quite well, when there was so little movement. 

But yeah, we weren’t that bad today. It’s the same old stupid mistakes though, I’ve never seen any team give the ball away under no pressure as much as us.

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

An absolute dud. I honestly think this is the hardest time at Derby since Clough took over from Jewell. This time has been coming every season we pushed for promotion and fell short. Just storing up issues for the next man.  

When you look at back at the summer then I don't think this should surprise us.

But, I'm not overly impressed with how Cocu changes things. 

We go from game to game or half to half and I think you can see areas that worked well and areas that didn't. Then Cocu seems fit to change something else entirely. Sometimes a promising area of the team has to make way for a player or two that's previously done nothing

But going back to Pre Season setting us up for a fall... of course once we put that behind us our only ball playing CB suited to possession football is injured for the season. Our ever present previously unbreakable Keogh. How? Oh yeah, we got pissed up and took him for a drive. 

I mean ffs. It's like pissing on dog poo to try and stop the smell

36 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Just to reiterate, Lampard had three of the best players in the league. We have also lost Johnson, Bryson and Keogh. Do you honestly think Lampard could do better with this team? If he could, I would then also say he seriously underperformed with the talent at his disposal last year and we should now be in the prem.

I do yeah.

We were 90 mins from the Prem so I don’t really get your point there.

Do you not think the players in our squad are more capable than the performance against Wigan showed the other night? 

7 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I’ve said myself this is the worst squad in a decade and I stand by that. I found myself wishing we had hulls squad when it was read out today and that says it all, because they’re really not that good. We’ve got a painful lack of quality in the final third, and our defenders make so many individual errors it’s untrue. None are capable of playing the style Cocu was brought in for.

I was going to write it In the thread about scouting, but imo this nightmare position is the result of years of poor, disorganised recruitment, and a lack of care to change from the very top. Every time we sell a player, we replace them with a worse one- because our recruitment team is so unimaginative it’s unreal. How do we not have a more extensive recruitment network? Frankly it’s embarrassing. And any decent player we bring in is always a loanee that leaves at the end of the season. Where did we think this strategy was leading but to here? 

If things carry on as they are from the very top, we’ll only get worse. In fact I’d go as far to say that while we won’t be relegated this year, if we don’t change off the field we’ll relegated within the next 3 years. Hopefully the new investors take a bit more interest in recruitment.

Doing himself no favours.

I swear he’s benching Marriott for the banter now. Dowell hasn’t played in weeks and suddenly goes straight into the eleven huh? You have Wisdom who often gets overlooked for a really average loanee in Clarke - not impressed me since Huddersfield.

Why won’t he try Marriott and Martin? Made for one another but just can’t see it! It’s like Deeney and Vydra from a few years ago, let Martin do the donkey work and Marriott to feed off him. 

Whittaker coming on was random as hell, rate the lad but he’s nowhere near ready to be thrown in like that, is he trying to prove a point or what? Where’s Mason Bennett suddenly vanished to? Buchanan? Jozefzoon? The side isn’t settled one bit it’s rotating for the sake of rotating and then folk wonder why we can’t get a rhythm going.

I feel for MM because it’s happening again, stupidly long contract handed out and no sigh of improvement. January won’t be that great, who’ll want to come to a bottom half mid table side ?

25 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I swear he’s benching Marriott for the banter now. Dowell hasn’t played in weeks and suddenly goes straight into the eleven huh? You have Wisdom who often gets overlooked for a really average loanee in Clarke - not impressed me since Huddersfield.

Why won’t he try Marriott and Martin? Made for one another but just can’t see it! It’s like Deeney and Vydra from a few years ago, let Martin do the donkey work and Marriott to feed off him. 

Whittaker coming on was random as hell, rate the lad but he’s nowhere near ready to be thrown in like that, is he trying to prove a point or what? Where’s Mason Bennett suddenly vanished to? Buchanan? Jozefzoon? The side isn’t settled one bit it’s rotating for the sake of rotating and then folk wonder why we can’t get a rhythm going.

I feel for MM because it’s happening again, stupidly long contract handed out and no sigh of improvement. January won’t be that great, who’ll want to come to a bottom half mid table side ?

Exactly this, I honestly can’t guess if a player is going to be first 11, bench, or totally out of the squad.

It wouldn’t surprise me for Josefzoon and Bennett to start next match with Martin and Holmes to vanish from the team.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Until the latter part of last season, we had the same with Lampard. Players dropping out the squad then starting the next game. I would like to think a fully fit Marriott will play with Martin but that might be an option for home games.

Marriott has only just been in full training at the start of the week and has come off the bench in both games. Another week of training may see him ready to start.

Are you really bothered by Bennett and Jozefzoon? Neither have done much at all this season. Whittaker has been very good so deserves his bench spot. As for the sub, game nicely poised, why not? You can make a case for Marriott first and that is what I would have done.

16 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think it partly depends on how willing we are to take a loss on some of the deadwood in our squad.

There are quite a few who aren’t good enough and never will be.

I agree, albeit a touch of deja vu .... or groundhog day

Let’s be honest since Mac1 this team has been in decline. Rowett short-termism added to this. Last season Lampard managed to get Mount Tomori and Wilson. Papered over the cracks. Without them we’d be bottom half. 

This team right now is mid-table. Add Rooney it might make a top 6 push but asking a lot. Cocu needs at least next summer to get “his” team.  Hope we’ll improve and at least make a push for top 6 in second half of the season 

28 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

Heard a rumour yesterday, don’t know how true it is. Cocu has fallen out with the academy coaches, Wassall etc..

Probably depends who you heard it from.

A source in the club - maybe true

A mate of a mate who knows a guy down the pub who is the brother's fiance of the nephew of the IT guy at Moor Farm - maybe baalocks

Archived