Cocu’s taking us up...

DCFC27

I actually believe Cocu is doing great, if you look at the games we should have won but we didn’t due to wastefulness in front of goal or defensive error we would be 8 points better off, guess where that would put us...? 

Bearing in mind the cards he has been dealt this season, he is starting to put his philosophy in to action. Taking out 2 very uncharacteristic performances at Charlton and Brentford. We have been very difficult to break down and beat and we should have won a lot of the games we have drawn. Swansea/WBA/Barnsley/Cardiff. We had a very good and hard earned point vs Leeds and a 50/50 with Stoke. 

If we keep this sort of form until January we shall have Rooney come in, who let’s face it can only improve us, I would hope we can invest in a winger and a keeper and we should be competing at the top. 

There is no panic coming from Cocu, he knows he’s building a squad and he knows who he can trust to win him promotion and probably knows who he’s going to bring in to replace them in January. 

I would say hopefully he will get us the momentum we need this season January onwards and then see where it takes us. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admire your optimism and share your thoughts that Cocu knows what he's doing. 

I still think we are in for further pain before the end of the year because our squad simply isn't strong enough. 

But, assuming he gets the personnel he wants in January there's no reason why we can't get into the play-offs. 

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I admire your optimism and share your thoughts that Cocu knows what he's doing. 

I still think we are in for further pain before the end of the year because our squad simply isn't strong enough. 

But, assuming he gets the personnel he wants in January there's no reason why we can't get into the play-offs. 

You do realize that the same could be said of every single team in the league. It’s been bad for a long time now, but this year seems even worse 

I too admire your optimism, and I'm kind of on your side.

However, I would say it is easier to remain optimistic by using the results/league table as the guide, than it is by using the performances on the pitch!

I only go to home games, but the last two in particular have been pretty dour... yet we took 6 points.  (I certainly didn't notice anyone skipping with joy on the way out!)  I'd suggest that says more about the opposition than it does about us.

...And as for Leeds... on any other day, that "hard earned point" would have been well out of reach by half time, if my lousy memory serves?.

Hey Ho... I'll take your optimism, keep the faith, and trust in those in charge... I'm sure we'll come good in the end... it's just that there's very little evidence of it at the moment!

UTR

Don’t think it’s been anywhere near as bad as people are making out, Charlton wasn’t even the disgrace some people would have you believe. 

It reminds me a little of Clough’s last ten games. All the ball but we can’t break teams down because we’re too narrow nor can we defend set-pieces. 

Sort set-pieces out and either alter the system to get us wider or change formation and I think we’re looking handy.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Charlton wasn’t even the disgrace some people would have you believe. 

We had 62% possession and yet had 2 shots on target. Of which one game towards the end of the game as a consolation when everyone had given up on the game. It absolutely was a disgrace.

I have no idea what he’s trying to do only that it’s not great to watch.

I’d like us to have a more a more attacking formation and mindset. i’d Like to see Lowe for malone. I’d like to see more game time for Jason knight. I think two up front ought to be tried. If we signed a couple of flying wingers then i think we have enough in centre midfield.

I don’t mind a transition season as long as we bring on the younger players and it’s decent to watch.

I had high hopes, but so far I’m disappointed.

(And yes I know we lost Mary, mungo and midge). 

The problem was evident on Wednesday night. People around me saying ‘it’s only Wigan for Gods sake’. I’m afraid we’re only Derby County and fans need to accept we don’t have the automatic right to be in the top 6. Even when we win they take no pleasure from it because we’ve not steamrollered the opposition. 

I don't think we'll be bothering top6 particularly this season, but as the team gets better at what they're supposed to be doing, can do it instinctively, know what there team mates will be doing etc, we'll be a decent mid-upper side.

However, the emergence of a consistent upwards trend in terms of style, performance and results will help everyone feel a lot better. At present it feels we're bumping along the turf and not quite getting the lift to take off properly.

I actually agree.

I really think Cocu looks the part, in his suit on the touchline. I also like the way he doesn’t spend the game bellowing, like a Pulis, but instead has a few chosen commands for his players; I think he’s the best we’ve seen at this.

I also like the way his assistant manager is always flipping through a folder, I know he has pages of tactics in there and the way they are bringing through Rosenior, with his ear piece and very own tactics folder, is nothing short of class.

Every time I see Given on the bench, he also looks the part with his furrowed brow and I think this level of professionalism is filtering down, for example, I think the way the medical team run on and do that thing where they crouch on one knee and talk, via earpiece, to the bench is exemplary.

I personally think that, to look at, our coaching set-up is top half Premier league easily, maybe top 6 and I think Cocu is taking us there ?

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

You do realize that the same could be said of every single team in the league. It’s been bad for a long time now, but this year seems even worse 

Well that's obviously the optimistic view. 

I just think a manager of international repute might handle the transfer window better thsn some of the other 23 managers 

I really want this managerial appointment by Mel to work, as it’s a long term contract with a brief to bring through the academy talent. The frustration is that there is no definitive pattern of play. Under Arthur, TBE and Mac you knew what the manager was trying to achieve. I know Mac got slaughtered for having no plan B, but so far I am yet to discover Plan A under Cocu.

Big window combined with Rooney arriving. Just hope player recruitment is sound in January.

5 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I actually agree.

I really think Cocu looks the part, in his suit on the touchline. I also like the way he doesn’t spend the game bellowing, like a Pulis, but instead has a few chosen commands for his players; I think he’s the best we’ve seen at this.

I also like the way his assistant manager is always flipping through a folder, I know he has pages of tactics in there and the way they are bringing through Rosenior, with his ear piece and very own tactics folder, is nothing short of class.

Every time I see Given on the bench, he also looks the part with his furrowed brow and I think this level of professionalism is filtering down, for example, I think the way the medical team run on and do that thing where they crouch on one knee and talk, via earpiece, to the bench is exemplary.

I personally think that, to look at, our coaching set-up is top half Premier league easily, maybe top 6 and I think Cocu is taking us there ?

The sports seats look good in The dugout as well ?

Come again? We’ve been hard to break down? Think Conor Sammon could bang a couple in past our defence!

I agree that it’s too early to say that Cocus not going to be a success here in the long run, but I absolutely dispute saying he’s done a good job. We’ve not been remotely unlucky imo, in fact we’ve been the opposite. We’ve played poorly so far, simple as that, below even mid table standard imo. We’ve been lucky to get a few results like the Luton one to lift us into what I see as a bit of a false position. I don’t think we’ve quite been one of the worst teams in the division so I don’t think we’ll threaten relegation, but we’ll drop away from the top half if we keep playing like this imo. Results like Brentford and Charlton haven’t been uncharacteristic, they’ve been pretty much what you’d expect from the quality of performances we’ve been putting in.

The performances need to improve quite dramatically imo for us to be pushing near the top of the table. Rooney arriving will obviously help, you’d think he’ll still be the best player in the league even at his age. But he can’t do it all on his own, we need tactical improvement from Cocu as well, and improvement from the recruitment team to find the other players were crying out for.

Far too early to rule out a push at the top, but were miles away from it atm in terms of the level of our performances. We could still challenge, nothing is out the picture at this stage in the season, but we need big improvement. And Cocu needs to improve a lot too, or he won’t make the end of the season.

Archived