• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10:59pm

Derby County announce the signing of 4 players all on permanents:

Joe Hart has signed on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy

Kamil Jozwiak has signed for £3m plus Ikechi Anya and add-ons

Mike Te Wierik has signed in a straight swap deal for Florian Josefzoon

Harold Moukoudi has signed on and 18 month loan with an option to buy.

Genuinely awful transfer window for the club. How much it impacts us, we won't know until the end of the season.

If I was going to be subjective: Cocu has been dealt a really bad hand, perhaps Mel Morris isn't flush with money anymore or knows what is coming from the EFL? We can expect possibly another player going out with Bennett - that means we are potentially 4 players down on player exits based on who has been in-and-around the squad this season. Bielik out for the season makes that 5. We are said not to be bringing anyone in other than Rooney + a striker for the U23 side. Appalling doesn't quite cut it. 

The impact: the young lads are really going to have to step up and play a huge part. They've done okay so far, but you would have to expect an EFL punishment in terms of points deduction to really shake confidence and their ability to play with freedom. 11 points clear of the bottom three at the moment, it means that we're likely in a relegation fight without it being confirmed. The fans are going to vent their frustrations and the pressure piles on Cocu and the players. You have to think that any significant injuries or niggles just kills us as we don't have the depth anymore. 

The result: In March, when the club ask fans to renew their season tickets I imagine the drop off will be substantial. Matchday ticket prices are far too high for people, so with people not committing to the season and the matchday tickets not too appealing, I predict we will see attendances fall to around 20,000. 

I think the result and performance tonight needs to be good otherwise this could all boil over in a perfect storm. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Genuinely awful transfer window for the club. How much it impacts us, we won't know until the end of the season.

If I was going to be subjective: Cocu has been dealt a really bad hand, perhaps Mel Morris isn't flush with money anymore or knows what is coming from the EFL? We can expect possibly another player going out with Bennett - that means we are potentially 4 players down on player exits based on who has been in-and-around the squad this season. Bielik out for the season makes that 5. We are said not to be bringing anyone in other than Rooney + a striker for the U23 side. Appalling doesn't quite cut it. 

The impact: the young lads are really going to have to step up and play a huge part. They've done okay so far, but you would have to expect an EFL punishment in terms of points deduction to really shake confidence and their ability to play with freedom. 11 points clear of the bottom three at the moment, it means that we're likely in a relegation fight without it being confirmed. The fans are going to vent their frustrations and the pressure piles on Cocu and the players. You have to think that any significant injuries or niggles just kills us as we don't have the depth anymore. 

The result: In March, when the club ask fans to renew their season tickets I imagine the drop off will be substantial. Matchday ticket prices are far too high for people, so with people not committing to the season and the matchday tickets not too appealing, I predict we will see attendances fall to around 20,000. 

I think the result and performance tonight needs to be good otherwise this could all boil over in a perfect storm. 

Definitely agree with this bit. If nothing else, even if the season is over (not my view) then surely we need to be looking to next season. The fans need to see something positive if they are to renew in numbers. A season dwindling out with a squad that isn’t good enough lacking players in key positions, turning out turgid performances at home and barley turning up away is not the formula for high renewals. 

Forget Cocu’s job, the hardest job by far at the club at the minute is composing the renewal letter to fans. Hard to put much positive spin on this season.  Barring the emergence or Knight and Bird.  

What do people think will happen next season if we end up with a summer transfer embargo? 
It’s a massive failure if we fail to bring in anyone before the deadline, especially with this possibility looming over us.

This squad is desperately needing quality in various places, and we’re absolutely not clear of going down. One poor run of form and we could be in real trouble. 

3 minutes ago, BPV said:

What do people think will happen next season if we end up with a summer transfer embargo? 
It’s a massive failure if we fail to bring in anyone before the deadline, especially with this possibility looming over us.

This squad is desperately needing quality in various places, and we’re absolutely not clear of going down. One poor run of form and we could be in real trouble. 

I’m sure they’re trying but there is no point panic buying or paying significantly over the odds.

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Investment by end of December.

2 new signings in January.

Neither has happened. Neither 

Absolutely no word from the chairman or anyone else at this club as to what on earth is going on at the club.

Inept and shameful.

Paying fans are constantly kept in the dark.

Yawn

Club has tried for players, we have no details on bids which were offered, but the clubs a shambles apparently.

Yes it’s disappointing if more players come in, but come on, have a word before scapegoating with no details.

We could have made more than reasonable offers, yet turned down, do you want the club to go pay silly money to land them? 

Have we not been there, done that?

Pay over the odds, fans moan, don’t sign anyone, fans moan, bring someone in at the last minute fans moan it’s a panic signing. 

Transfer windows bring out the worse in fans. Be glad when it’s closed and we can actually get back to focusing on the football and not stamping feet. 

we Have to shed players and get the wages under some sort of control. 
the underlying trading account shows us losing 25m a year. We have to half that just to get back to being in the poo. 
I warned that this was coming 18 months ago when a certain poster was saying everything was fine.

more outs required. 

2 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Sorry but the buck stops at the top, MM to blame

You don’t know that. You don’t know what conversations and negotiations have been taking place. We’ve surely had enough of paying way over the odds for mediocre players so, if Mel is refusing, or unable, to sanction silly money purchases then good. He’s had enough stick on this forum for financial miss-management. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Club has tried for players, we have no details on bids which were offered, but the clubs a shambles apparently.

Yes it’s disappointing if more players come in, but come on, have a word before scapegoating with no details.

We could have made more than reasonable offers, yet turned down, do you want the club to go pay silly money to land them? 

Have we not been there, done that?

Pay over the odds, fans moan, don’t sign anyone, fans moan, bring someone in at the last minute fans moan it’s a panic signing. 

Transfer windows bring out the worse in fans. Be glad when it’s closed and we can actually get back to focusing on the football and not stamping feet. 

That’s fair enough but on the other hand our dealings in the last 5-6 windows has been poor. Mount and Tomori were purely down to Frank and Jody so cant count them. In general our recruitment has been terrible. It is understandable that fans are getting frustrated. If we were flying high in the league it would still be frustrating not signing anyone. We can’t defend set plays and are toothless upfront, a competent recruitment team would have a list of realistic targets to go through who could improve us. Let’s be honest, me and you would probably improve the squad. 

50 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

what we need is a messiah........?

[PRETENTIOUS CULTURE JOKE ALERT?]

You let yourself down by thinking you needed to start explaining the joke. Disregard the absolute rubbish you see spouted on here, most fans are pretty clever even if they have no common sense. 

Why did we sign Rooney again?

It looked a poor move at the time, but now when you think about our financial situation, it looks even worse.

Could the cost of his salary, signing-on-fee, agent’s fee and whatever else we have poured into the deal have actually been used to sign the likes of Jozwiak and Te Wierik and players we can build around for the future?

Archived