January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Well he wasn’t that good bar about 4 games and we had much, much better players in the other 10 positions!

He gave us width and pace, that prerequisite of a complete team,  and we have missed that ever since.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Oh I completely agree with you - And I would imagine we have been planning something

But it looks very much like Leicester have been messing us around all window over Benkovic - Since they've been in for CBs and then not, they've been dealing with unexpected injuries etc etc - All things we couldn't allow for

Then it seems we've made several enquiries for players like this Dutch lad where it seems our interest might have sparked interest from other (potentially more enticing) clubs

And then once you've made your way down the list to the 6th choice on it you get into the murky territory of "are they actually even any better than what we have?" and it becomes super risky because the prices get jacked up and agents start getting more difficult because we're desperate

We only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to transfers - The sheer volume of nonsense the club and manager will have been going through in the last month (and more) is huge

2 hours ago, David said:

Absolutely this. 

And at this point I would prefer no signings than reaching the bottom of the list saying we better go for this lad then just to roll a new signing out. 

Signing players can be like buying houses, you’re stuck in a chain, sometimes things just don’t work out no matter how hard you try. 

Probably read it a few times, but just a little taster of how mad a day like today is...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

To say we want to conclude business early, only to go on and sign absolutely nobody is an embarrassment.

I feel for Cocu, because he’s been woefully let down by everyone involved, totally inept.

Exactly my thoughts. The Benkovic saga is ridiculous. We should have moved on weeks ago to our second target. It’s the Derby Way. If we let another first team/fringe player leave without bringing anyone in that would be laughable. 

Failure to bring anyone in coupled with anything but a win tonight and things may begin to take a turn for the worse.  

9 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

To say we want to conclude business early, only to go on and sign absolutely nobody is an embarrassment.

I feel for Cocu, because he’s been woefully let down by everyone involved, totally inept.

Agents are to blame. 

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I know they want him, but we should be looking at quality like that

What quality? The idea that Ravel Morrison is a diamond in the rough is one of the biggest scams in modern football. Before he turned up at Sheffield United he was decidedly average in Sweden. He's hardly played for United. If Chris Wilder can't get anything out of the guy it's probably time to accept that he isn't very good.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

What quality? The idea that Ravel Morrison is a diamond in the rough is one of the biggest scams in modern football. Before he turned up at Sheffield United he was decidedly average in Sweden. He's hardly played for United. If Chris Wilder can't get anything out of the guy it's probably time to accept that he isn't very good.

He'll end up at somewhere like Chesterfield in a couple of years, telling war stories about how he once tole Sir Alex to duck off...

I'm coming round to thinking that we are actually operating under a self imposed 'soft transfer embargo', in that the EFL charge could dramatically change our Profit and Sustainability status for this season and we have had to put the brakes on.

Putting any potential punishment for a guilty verdict to one side for a minute, perhaps of greater concern to the DCFC bean counters is that if the profit booked against the sale of the stadium is now rejected, or at least reduced, that is going to shift the profit recorded last season - perhaps even into a loss.

Given that P&S adherence is based on a three year rolling return, the headroom we thought we had this season might be heavily eroded and we can no longer make provisions for incoming players.

That would account for the seeming change in stance to to the transfer window at the start of January to now.

Archived