January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, David said:

Be glad when it’s closed and we can actually get back to focusing on the football

I think that's what some people are worried about! Is there any reason for people to feel that the second half of the season is going to be any more enjoyable than the first? I'm not sure there is.

Back in mid November the squad was an unbalanced, injury riddled mess that lacked any genuine quality, results had taken a downturn (not just away - remember QPR & Millwall at home) but I fully believed things would pick up when Clarke (and Shinnie) were back and Rooney arrived. And they did.

However I only considered that enough to safely see us through to the end of the season and fend off any immediate fears of relegation, enough to see us finish maybe 15th, and that we'd add at least some of the missing ingredients during the window to push us on a bit further - not top six level, but, say, 10th perhaps.

..but that was before Bielik got ruled out for the rest of the season and before the EFL charge brought about the possibility of a points deduction. Before we reduced squad numbers further. We still needed an injection of pace and/or creativity in the middle and out wide, some dynamism. So now we feel even weaker than we did in November.

Max Bird has stepped up admirably so the loss of 'hot and cold' Bielik hasn't been felt so badly, and we have to hope more players will follow in his footsteps.

Maybe it's just me feeling more downbeat but it feels like that's all we've got now, hope, my faith in things improving to any significant degree has been eroded away. The negative bamfords have worn me down.

Even with Rooney the squad doesn't feel any more capable now of scoring goals or keeping clean sheets than it did in November, if anything it feels slower and more vulnerable.

I still refuse to put the blame for any of this solely on Cocu's shoulder though.

Some fair, well-worded arguments in here. For me, it's simple:

- Not managing to sign a suitable centre-half and winger, after Cocu stated so early that this was what he wanted and wanted early, has to be deemed as a failure. 

Who that failure lies at the door with, I don't know. Easy to say the recruitment team. Maybe the owner. Most likely it's the clubs we've tried to deal with *ucking us around (Brendan Rodgers, what a surprise). 

16 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I think that's what some people are worried about! Is there any reason for people to feel that the second half of the season is going to be any more enjoyable than the first? I'm not sure there is.

Back in mid November the squad was an unbalanced, injury riddled mess that lacked any genuine quality, results had taken a downturn (not just away - remember QPR & Millwall at home) but I fully believed things would pick up when Clarke (and Shinnie) were back and Rooney arrived. And they did.

However I only considered that enough to safely see us through to the end of the season and fend off any immediate fears of relegation, enough to see us finish maybe 15th, and that we'd add at least some of the missing ingredients during the window to push us on a bit further - not top six level, but, say, 10th perhaps.

..but that was before Bielik got ruled out for the rest of the season and before the EFL charge brought about the possibility of a points deduction. Before we reduced squad numbers further. We still needed an injection of pace and/or creativity in the middle and out wide, some dynamism. So now we feel even weaker than we did in November.

Max Bird has stepped up admirably so the loss of 'hot and cold' Bielik hasn't been felt so badly, and we have to hope more players will follow in his footsteps.

Maybe it's just me feeling more downbeat but it feels like that's all we've got now, hope, my faith in things improving to any significant degree has been eroded away. The negative bamfords have worn me down.

Even with Rooney the squad doesn't feel any more capable now of scoring goals or keeping clean sheets than it did in November, if anything it feels slower and more vulnerable.

I still refuse to put the blame for any of this solely on Cocu's shoulder though.

Maybe not, with no signings it’s hard to put an argument forward that we’re about to go on a 10 game winning streak. 

Just tired of the sign him, what about him, why not us then the next day we’ve wasted X amount of money, what a shambles, but panic, get your wallet out on the last day and get anyone.

We do have some positives, I’m looking forward to seeing how Knight, Bird and hopefully Sibley progress over the remainder of the season. We could be looking at our future midfield trio. 

Dont get me wrong, it’s hard to adjust having been genuine promotion contenders year after year, but if we need this season to reset and go again I’m fine with that as there does appear to be a plan in place that will see the club start to use the academy....which lets be honest, not many that are better in this country as it stands.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe not, with no signings it’s hard to put an argument forward that we’re about to go on a 10 game winning streak. 

Just tired of the sign him, what about him, why not us then the next day we’ve wasted X amount of money, what a shambles, but panic, get your wallet out on the last day and get anyone.

We do have some positives, I’m looking forward to seeing how Knight, Bird and hopefully Sibley progress over the remainder of the season. We could be looking at our future midfield trio. 

Dont get me wrong, it’s hard to adjust having been genuine promotion contenders year after year, but if we need this season to reset and go again I’m fine with that as there does appear to be a plan in place that will see the club start to use the academy....which lets be honest, not many that are better in this country as it stands.

Yep, this is all stuff I agree with and I hope I can't be lumped in the 'want it all now' crowd especially considering some of my more vociferous arguments with other posters I've deemed to be unconstructive, reactive and mardy!

I'm in it for the long term, I've just reached the point where my concern over the outcome of this season has started to impact my previously unwavering belief that things will work out ok.

34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Some fair, well-worded arguments in here. For me, it's simple:

- Not managing to sign a suitable centre-half and winger, after Cocu stated so early that this was what he wanted and wanted early, has to be deemed as a failure. 

Who that failure lies at the door with, I don't know. Easy to say the recruitment team. Maybe the owner. Most likely it's the clubs we've tried to deal with *ucking us around (Brendan Rodgers, what a surprise). 

Mel was clearly confident the new investment would be in place, an extra 8 million would have been injected into the coffers in time for the window and unfortunately the EFL charge has ruined it.

I just think in future it might be easier for us fans if Mel stopped tarting himself about on Talksport, spinning yarns of 'special treatment' and 'special relationships' with Chelsea, talking of investment being close and expecting signings to come in that Cocu had identified.

It might help fans manage expectation a little better.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Mel was clearly confident the new investment would be in place, an extra 8 million would have been injected into the coffers in time for the window and unfortunately the EFL charge has ruined it.

I just think in future it might be easier for us fans if Mel stopped tarting himself about on Talksport, spinning yarns of 'special treatment' and 'special relationships' with Chelsea, talking of investment being close and expecting signings to come in that Cocu had identified.

It might help fans manage expectation a little better.

I like that you've brought up the special relationship bit...

...how's that worked out for us? Good old Frank going to send us his players? Even Mel was chirping up about it in one of the videos before Cocu arrived.

What a laugh. 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I like that you've brought up the special relationship bit...

...how's that worked out for us? Good old Frank going to send us his players? Even Mel was chirping up about it in one of the videos before Cocu arrived.

What a laugh. 

What if Cocu didn’t fancy any loanees that were being offered, preferred to play our own youngsters and increase their value and experience?

What if the players didn’t fancy coming to Derby, made it clear they had no intention of leaving London or wanted to gain experience outside the country?

Are these not possibilities worth considering? 

Archived