January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You don’t know that. You don’t know what conversations and negotiations have been taking place. We’ve surely had enough of paying way over the odds for mediocre players so, if Mel is refusing, or unable, to sanction silly money purchases then good. He’s had enough stick on this forum for financial miss-management. 

This is where our recruitment and negotiators earn there money. They should be Identifying  realistic targets that we should be able to get. Not bloody players we are never going to be able to afford, so you could say the book lies with Morris for keeping these incompetent clueless idiots in a job.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, David said:

Club has tried for players, we have no details on bids which were offered, but the clubs a shambles apparently.

Yes it’s disappointing if more players come in, but come on, have a word before scapegoating with no details.

We could have made more than reasonable offers, yet turned down, do you want the club to go pay silly money to land them? 

Have we not been there, done that?

Pay over the odds, fans moan, don’t sign anyone, fans moan, bring someone in at the last minute fans moan it’s a panic signing. 

Transfer windows bring out the worse in fans. Be glad when it’s closed and we can actually get back to focusing on the football and not stamping feet. 

Are you suggesting it's not?

Off the pitch there's an ongoing legal battle with Keogh, now an ongoing battle with the EFL, a potential points deduction, a potential transfer embargo and the investment that was supposed to be completed over a month ago has now gone quiet (which also contributed to players being paid late earlier this month). On the pitch we've won 1 away game in the league all season, seemingly have very little discipline with the regular red and yellow cards for moaning at officials/frustrated challenges, have players playing out of their natural position every week and have the worst squad we've had in 7 or 8 years despite it costing 30 million + to assemble. 

5 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

That’s fair enough but on the other hand our dealings in the last 5-6 windows has been poor. Mount and Tomori were purely down to Frank and Jody so cant count them. In general our recruitment has been terrible. It is understandable that fans are getting frustrated. If we were flying high in the league it would still be frustrating not signing anyone. We can’t defend set plays and are toothless upfront, a competent recruitment team would have a list of realistic targets to go through who could improve us. Let’s be honest, me and you would probably improve the squad. 

So you’re just going to exclude players because they don’t suit the agenda? 

I probably couldn’t improve the squad as I don’t watch a great deal of football outside of Derby and top of the Prem. Sure I could suggest Salah and Kane would help us score more but it’s not realistic. 

I also have no idea what kind of budget we have to work with. We know the wage bill which the club have been hammered for must come down, that is blatantly obvious regardless of what Mel does or doesn’t have in the bank. 

That can’t come down whilst signing big name players fans are wanting.

It’s not like we haven’t had ANY big name players either, a certain Mr Wayne Rooney is at the club thanks to the club negotiating a star player clause in our 32Red deal, a deal which has left other 32Red sponsored clubs looking a little daft. 

Tbh, I’ve had a quick look around and we’re not the only club with fans stamping their feet like spoilt kids today, plenty are at it whilst Sky Sports continue to turn this side of the game into a circus that creates this %#*€$>

9 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

a competent recruitment team would have a list of realistic targets to go through who could improve us. Let’s be honest, me and you would probably improve the squad. 

We haven't had one of those since Schteve Mk 1, when he brought in (can't remember his name) who turned out to be crap, we've never recovered...

39 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I'm coming round to thinking that we are actually operating under a self imposed 'soft transfer embargo', in that the EFL charge could dramatically change our Profit and Sustainability status for this season and we have had to put the brakes on.

I think that's when we'd go to the courts due to this: "Had the EFL not given the green light in writing in respect of both charges, the Club would have reacted accordingly. The Club cannot re-trace the steps of the actions it legitimately took in good faith as a result of EFL approval of both matters."

Putting any potential punishment for a guilty verdict to one side for a minute, perhaps of greater concern to the DCFC bean counters is that if the profit booked against the sale of the stadium is now rejected, or at least reduced, that is going to shift the profit recorded last season - perhaps even into a loss.

"perhaps even into a loss"? It's immediately obvious a £14.6m profit without £40m profit from the stadium sale will result in a loss.

Given that P&S adherence is based on a three year rolling return, the headroom we thought we had this season might be heavily eroded and we can no longer make provisions for incoming players.

That would account for the seeming change in stance to to the transfer window at the start of January to now.

Here are the various scenarios based on the EFL verdict (in my opinion):

1. No rule infringement. No punishment. Nothing changes.

2.  No rule infringement. No punishment. Rules change but shouldn't impact us too much going forward.

3. Stadium sale found to be breaking the rules. Pass 2018 and 2019. But we'd be set for a heavy loss in 2020. 50:50 whether we're given a punishment

4. Stadium sale is okay but not our amortisation policy.  Pass 2018 and 2019. Heavy fail for 2020. 50:50 whether we're given a punishment

5. Punished for both. Small punishment for 2019, large punishment for 2019 an astronomical punishment for 2020. (small chance of getting away with one or two of those).

Given the likelihood of a punishment, I don't believe we've embargoed ourselves. Simply, we want to be more responsible in the market.

Very interesting quote from Pep Guardiola.

When asked if he had ever done any transfer business on the last day of a transfer window during his managerial career, Guardiola added: "I don't remember. 

"I don't think so. It doesn't just depend on the manager - it depends on the club. Normally, I start the season with the players I trust and I try to finish with them - that's all."

Maybe Cocu wants to start next season  with the players he trusts. He's whittling down this squad. Looking at the strengths of the existing squad,  the ability of the youngsters to step up and building the exact picture of what he wants in the summer . 

Maybe he hasn't panicked because he didn't get his first choice and just splashed dollar on anything that's out there.

Maybe he's actually got a long term plan and is happy to wait until the summer. 

I'm not surprised at the cynicism but people need to grow up a little.

Nobody dies. The club will still be in the Championship next season whether we finish 7th or 17th.  Just as we have been for the last few years. 

Relax. Watch the development of the youngsters...hell maybe even do something crazy like get behind them.

2 minutes ago, David said:

So you’re just going to exclude players because they don’t suit the agenda? 

I probably couldn’t improve the squad as I don’t watch a great deal of football outside of Derby and top of the Prem. Sure I could suggest Salah and Kane would help us score more but it’s not realistic. 

I also have no idea what kind of budget we have to work with. We know the wage bill which the club have been hammered for must come down, that is blatantly obvious regardless of what Mel does or doesn’t have in the bank. 

That can’t come down whilst signing big name players fans are wanting.

It’s not like we haven’t had ANY big name players either, a certain Mr Wayne Rooney is at the club thanks to the club negotiating a star player clause in our 32Red deal, a deal which has left other 32Red sponsored clubs looking a little daft. 

Tbh, I’ve had a quick look around and we’re not the only club with fans stamping their feet like spoilt kids today, plenty are at it whilst Sky Sports continue to turn this side of the game into a circus that creates this %#*€$>

No not at all. My point was aimed at our recruitment teams do their past failings. I highly doubt they recommended Mount and Tomori to Frank and Jody. 

Transfer windows are a total waste of time for me. The domino effect of teams not letting players leave until they have a replacement in place makes it a farce. The window might as well be 24 hours. I think it says it all when Talksport and Sky Sports are full of stories of transfers that aren’t happening as oppose to deals that are happening. 

6 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Are you suggesting it's not?

Off the pitch there's an ongoing legal battle with Keogh, now an ongoing battle with the EFL, a potential points deduction, a potential transfer embargo and the investment that was supposed to be completed over a month ago has now gone quiet (which also contributed to players being paid late earlier this month). On the pitch we've won 1 away game in the league all season, seemingly have very little discipline with the regular red and yellow cards for moaning at officials/frustrated challenges, have players playing out of their natural position every week and have the worst squad we've had in 7 or 8 years despite it costing 30 million + to assemble. 

How is our legal battle with Keogh a shambles of the clubs doing? That one is on himself, the club laid on transport but no, he thought as captain it would be clever to continue drinking with his team mates, climb into the back of the car with them without putting on a seatbelt. 

Stadium deal, the same one which the EFL approved and signed off before we went ahead?

How our accounts are filed, the same accounts which again the EFL have signed off for a number of seasons now without issue?

Away form is terrible, no hiding from that. It has to improve. 

Worst squad for 7 or 8 years? We’ve had a real push for promotion for the last 5, it’s not sustainable, no club sustains that number of challenging finishes. Go look, yes we’re having to take a step back but the first season we do, the toys are out the pram. 

Theres actually quite a few positives to come from this step back with a number of academy players coming through but we’ll ignore that one shall we?

The sad truth is we dont know what division we will be in next season, for all we know Mel could be aware that a heavy points deduction is very likely (without the facts we just dont know).

If relegation happened any pennies we spend now could have serious consequences financially going forward.

To lose Dowell, Paterson, Bennett and Max Hunt and not bring a single player in for the 1st team suggests it's purely about finance.

3 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

No not at all. My point was aimed at our recruitment teams do their past failings. I highly doubt they recommended Mount and Tomori to Frank and Jody. 

Transfer windows are a total waste of time for me. The domino effect of teams not letting players leave until they have a replacement in place makes it a farce. The window might as well be 24 hours. I think it says it all when Talksport and Sky Sports are full of stories of transfers that aren’t happening as oppose to deals that are happening. 

It's weird how much the market's changed. Players used to switch clubs far more often in the late 2000s/early 2010s and it seemed all it needed for a player to move clubs was a will to not play for that club anymore.

It's calmed down hugely now. I don't know why Talksport and SkySports continue to behave as if deadline day is going to be something interesting, when quite frankly, there's been very little major movement for coming on a decade. It's a hangover from Redknapps' Pompey and Tottenham days - that's quite a long time ago now.

You'd think the new-found stability would be a good thing for the game, so why doesn't it feel like that?

Just now, ollycutts1982 said:

But you’re guessing right, as you don’t know for sure? I’m not going to argue it’s not likely they were a big pull in the deals, but it’s not like we haven’t signed young players such as Ibe and Lingard before. 

Fans always look to scapegoat or heap praise on one individual be it FFP, a win, goal conceded and it’s just ridiculous at times.

What has or hasn’t happened in this window may not be any fault of the club, but Mel, Cocu, the recruitment team are being thrown under the bus without no idea how many players we have tried for, which of those rumours were even true, who the recruitment team highlighted, who Cocu wanted, who we got priced out of as we couldn’t simply afford them and if any players actually said thanks but no thanks.

So many cogs in all this to point the finger of blame at any one person of group.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Is that why players we want to sign keep failing medicals?

Only if the players we want to sign are the posters on here hailing a transfer window as “disastrous” because we haven’t pushed the boat out in order to come 11th instead of 15th

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The sad truth is we dont know what division we will be in next season, for all we know Mel could be aware that a heavy points deduction is very likely (without the facts we just dont know).

If relegation happened any pennies we spend now could have serious consequences financially going forward.

To lose Dowell, Paterson, Bennett and Max Hunt and not bring a single player in for the 1st team suggests it's purely about finance.

Thorne too, would've been on a tidy salary...this is all on the finances.

Archived