January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's true - But then we mostly sit here as fans desperate to make signings - The practicality is that players aren't always available

We have a couple of decent CBs in the squad at the moment (Clarke and Davies) and Wisdom might be an okay backup (I still think he doesn't have the head for it but who knows) - I don't think it's an easy prospect to find a CB of the quality we want - I think to bring in anyone of Keogh level quality we're going to have to pay £5m+ and for Tomori level it would be £10m+. Even then there's a risk it all goes a bit Bielik 

You can tell in the way that Cocu's been speaking about the transfer window they've been trying to get people and have been frustrated for reasons beyond their control - You have to bear in mind that players' agents will encourage them to wait as long as possible to move - The later they move the less negotiation time on contracts and the desperate clubs will shell out on a bigger contract/signing fee/agent fee

Maybe fans in general are desperate for signings, I don’t know. Usually in January I think it’s best not to go and panic buy but we should have been planning something when Keogh got injured and sacked-  For me , we are crying out for a proper centre back. Even a loanee who is steady, I can see liabilities with Davies, Clarke and Forsyth that we didn’t have with Keogh and Tomori. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Maybe fans in general are desperate for signings, I don’t know. Usually in January I think it’s best not to go and panic buy but we should have been planning something when Keogh got injured and sacked-  For me , we are crying out for a proper centre back. Even a loanee who is steady, I can see liabilities with Davies, Clarke and Forsyth that we didn’t have with Keogh and Tomori. 

Oh I completely agree with you - And I would imagine we have been planning something

But it looks very much like Leicester have been messing us around all window over Benkovic - Since they've been in for CBs and then not, they've been dealing with unexpected injuries etc etc - All things we couldn't allow for

Then it seems we've made several enquiries for players like this Dutch lad where it seems our interest might have sparked interest from other (potentially more enticing) clubs

And then once you've made your way down the list to the 6th choice on it you get into the murky territory of "are they actually even any better than what we have?" and it becomes super risky because the prices get jacked up and agents start getting more difficult because we're desperate

We only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to transfers - The sheer volume of nonsense the club and manager will have been going through in the last month (and more) is huge

12 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

We may well have had lots of plans when keogh got sacked but at that point we hadn’t been charged by efl and new investment was on track ,,,

29 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's true - But then we mostly sit here as fans desperate to make signings - The practicality is that players aren't always available

We have a couple of decent CBs in the squad at the moment (Clarke and Davies) and Wisdom might be an okay backup (I still think he doesn't have the head for it but who knows) - I don't think it's an easy prospect to find a CB of the quality we want - I think to bring in anyone of Keogh level quality we're going to have to pay £5m+ and for Tomori level it would be £10m+. Even then there's a risk it all goes a bit Bielik 

You can tell in the way that Cocu's been speaking about the transfer window they've been trying to get people and have been frustrated for reasons beyond their control - You have to bear in mind that players' agents will encourage them to wait as long as possible to move - The later they move the less negotiation time on contracts and the desperate clubs will shell out on a bigger contract/signing fee/agent fee

Absolutely this. 

And at this point I would prefer no signings than reaching the bottom of the list saying we better go for this lad then just to roll a new signing out. 

Signing players can be like buying houses, you’re stuck in a chain, sometimes things just don’t work out no matter how hard you try. 

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

So what happens today?

1. Investment announced alongside a couple of banging transfers

2. We pull something out of the bag and bring in a decent CB and/or winger

3. Our 6th choice comes in on loan in the form of a mid-table Championship club squad player

4. Absolutely nowt

Place your bets! 

that @DarkFruitsRam7 gets everywhere........?

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

What? Seriously? 

Rooney, Holmes and Martin

The issue isn’t creative players, it’s opportunities for them to create. Usually we have 8 outfielders within the width of the 18 yard box and the full-backs the only players providing width. So what happens is that the ball just goes nowhere. 

You can’t create when there’s nobody in the space or making the run to create for. 

The McClaren team wasn’t particularly packed full of playmakers but you had little trigger runs that Hughes, Dawkins it Martin would find. 

Archived