January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

1 hour ago, Birdyabroad said:

We’re not signing anyone this January, and that’s a GOOD thing.

Jan signings have not been great for us and are often overpriced.

The season is over, we’re not going up or down, we’re not. There may be some fun to be had on the cup, but that’s all folks.

So, let’s not sign anyone and give more and more game time to our U23’s, let’s see if they can rise to the challenge and be worthy of building the team around next season.

Think it could be a very bad thing, our team isn't good enough, especially in defence. The stats don't lie, we badly need players to improve this team, especially up front and in defence.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way are we going to get relegated, it would take a mini miracle to get into the play offs... So makes little sense trying to sign players at ridiculous prices, better to blood the youth and let Cocu plan for next year and get value in the summer....

But.... I gotta admit its just a bit bloody boring and depressing... I mean just a little bit of hope a new signing would make a difference would be nice...I know... I know... 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

No way are we going to get relegated, it would take a mini miracle to get into the play offs... So makes little sense trying to sign players at ridiculous prices, better to blood the youth and let Cocu plan for next year and get value in the summer....

But.... I gotta admit its just a bit bloody boring and depressing... I mean just a little bit of hope a new signing would make a difference would be nice...I know... I know... 

We don't seem to have any centre backs in the youth getting race reviews so if we don't look external we are storing up trouble.

Just looking at players in the Eredivisie who are out of contract, there were quite a few in their twenties alongside Mike Te Wierik who might be worth a look in the summer... with Cocu around, might be the start of importing some international types that suit his game... Don’t think the Dutch league will break the bank wages wise either...

Timon Wellenreuther - GK - Willem II

Warner Hahn - GK - Heerenveen 

Alexander Merkel - CM - Heracles

Brian Linssen - LW - Vitesse

Aitor Cantalapiedra - RW - Twente

And before anyone starts, they are first team players in their respective teams and I don’t play FIFA or know a great deal about them other than their stats look alright.

8 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Think it could be a very bad thing, our team isn't good enough, especially in defence. The stats don't lie, we badly need players to improve this team, especially up front and in defence.

That is where it isn't quite true. We have top 4 form at home and bottom 4 form away...that would suggest we are good enough at home but need to sort away.

So we won't go down therefore the players aren't badly needed. What is needed is the right players at the right time.

If we get a decent centre back in the summer rather than now thay makes very little difference. 

We simply won't get a good striker in Jan without paying over the odds or buying someone on past performance. 

Take a look at Toney at Peterborough,  if a club wants him now it's £10m. If Peterborough don't go up then he goes in the summer for  £5m max.

We should sit and wait and follow the plan not panic.

So what happens today?

1. Investment announced alongside a couple of banging transfers

2. We pull something out of the bag and bring in a decent CB and/or winger

3. Our 6th choice comes in on loan in the form of a mid-table Championship club squad player

4. Absolutely nowt

Place your bets! 

1 hour ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

That is where it isn't quite true. We have top 4 form at home and bottom 4 form away...that would suggest we are good enough at home but need to sort away.

So we won't go down therefore the players aren't badly needed. What is needed is the right players at the right time.

If we get a decent centre back in the summer rather than now thay makes very little difference. 

We simply won't get a good striker in Jan without paying over the odds or buying someone on past performance. 

Take a look at Toney at Peterborough,  if a club wants him now it's £10m. If Peterborough don't go up then he goes in the summer for  £5m max.

We should sit and wait and follow the plan not panic.

We are short in defence and keep conceding stupid goals. At the moment it looks more likely our home form will drop than our away form will turn around. 
what if we get a points deduction or transfer embargo? We have lost Keogh and Tomori and haven’t adequately replaced them. 

46 minutes ago, desirelines said:

So what happens today?

1. Investment announced alongside a couple of banging transfers

2. We pull something out of the bag and bring in a decent CB and/or winger

3. Our 6th choice comes in on loan in the form of a mid-table Championship club squad player

4. Absolutely nowt

Place your bets! 

4. I’ll have 50p on it 

7 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

We are short in defence and keep conceding stupid goals. At the moment it looks more likely our home form will drop than our away form will turn around. 
what if we get a points deduction or transfer embargo? We have lost Keogh and Tomori and haven’t adequately replaced them. 

It's true - But then we mostly sit here as fans desperate to make signings - The practicality is that players aren't always available

We have a couple of decent CBs in the squad at the moment (Clarke and Davies) and Wisdom might be an okay backup (I still think he doesn't have the head for it but who knows) - I don't think it's an easy prospect to find a CB of the quality we want - I think to bring in anyone of Keogh level quality we're going to have to pay £5m+ and for Tomori level it would be £10m+. Even then there's a risk it all goes a bit Bielik 

You can tell in the way that Cocu's been speaking about the transfer window they've been trying to get people and have been frustrated for reasons beyond their control - You have to bear in mind that players' agents will encourage them to wait as long as possible to move - The later they move the less negotiation time on contracts and the desperate clubs will shell out on a bigger contract/signing fee/agent fee

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I have it on good authority that Cocu’s been speaking on the phone to Kenning van Hire ........?

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Cocu walk. I think he's a really bad fit for us, but he's still a good manager. He'll do well in Spain, Holland or Italy. I think he'd be fine in the PL, but his slow possession based football will never work in this league.

The longer he stays, the more his reputation will suffer. Our situation looks pretty dicey for the next couple of years, so even if he thinks he could succeed in the right circumstances, he'll know that the odds are stacked ridiculously against him. He's no fool, so he'll be gone as soon as he gets a reasonable offer elsewhere. 

Archived