Jamie Paterson - loan cancelled

inter politics

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 3766dan said:

He’s going to have to prove himself to the fans and win us over with a high work ethic and probably an important goal or two (followed by kissing the badge). Once he’s done that.. all will be forgotten. We all hope he’s a good addition. 

Doesn’t have to do anything to win me over, starts with a clean slate as should any player who joins the club.

If we had sold a player to Bristol City and then in an interview a bit later he’d said “don’t like Forest” we’d have all lapped it up. 

If you really care about some at worst childish comments you need to give your head a wobble. He doesn’t dislike Derby, in the same way that he doesn’t dislike Bristol Rovers or Cardiff.

40 minutes ago, jono said:

I’ll have you know that Mrs Jono said recently, that if  I’ve had my haircut, used some “product” on it, let my legs see a bit of sun, and at the same time if I suck my stomach in ... I’m really not bad looking for a short arse. 

Is that in the distance. Mrs Jono...what a woman. I enjoy your posts Jono.

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Doesn’t have to do anything to win me over, starts with a clean slate as should any player who joins the club.

Yes of course he starts the club with a clean slate and I’m wishing him all the best. 

Happy with this signing comes across well on the video and has a reputation of being a strong character in the dressing room.Talented player who has not really hit the heights predicted in the early part of his career if he is on his game then he is a major plus for us.

Good dead ball taker likes to get on free kicks he also gets in the faces of opponents and opposition fans bit of the David Speedie about his on pitch persona.

31 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Jozefzoon is older than Paterson..................

And this is a position for which we only have one player (Jozefzoon); Bennett, Waghorn and Holmes are all out of position when playing on the right. This was a position of need.

It's not so much about Paterson's age - 27 is nothing, and arguably a midfielder's prime - it's more that we've brought in a loan player who is deemed surplus to requirements by the club who finished two places below us.

It sort of suggests we've either had very few other available targets, or the wage budget/transfer fund is a bit depleted.

Loans when used well can be very good, and I'm not questioning JP himself, but the way MM talked in pre-season seemed to suggest we would be focusing on young players whom Cocu could increase the value of.

So far only Bielik potentially fits that description.

Interesting move this - always rated him as a player & he'll improve our options out wide.

As for the Forest stuff, I'm not that vexed about it. Michael Johnson was a Forest fan, Kris Commons was a Forest fan, Nathan Tyson arrived after nearly starting a riot in a Forest v Derby game, even bloody Kenny Burns came to Derby & put in a shift. Football is football. You can tell from Paterson's interview that the prospect of playing for a team managed by Phillip Cocu & with Wayne Rooney to come, was too tempting to resist. The move has transcended Derby v Forest & shows we're going places.

All subjective of course but I think he came across pretty well in the official welcome interview. He wants to be here, he feels he's got plenty to offer & will improve as a player here - win win.

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

Would rather have kept Luke Thomas than bring Paterson in.

Paterson is a decent player, but it does maje the luke thomas deal look strange. E

53 minutes ago, superzak said:

Probably will go back to Bristol in January when Rooney takes up station

But he mentions Rooney and hopes to play and learn from him so I think he’s thinking he’ll be here in Jan 

44 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Name one youngster who would expect to have any significant role in the first team (excluding bogle who already is) particularly after January.... I agree with the idea, but there is a success rate to this type of thing so one or two players notably in first team contention (and not fighting over the same role) isn't flooding the team. 

Mitchell lawson looked bright briefly last season as did many of the wide players in the run to our team winning nationally. 

I don't get the logic of selling Thomas (which only makes sense if they believe there are much stronger players behind him coming through) and then having 4/5 or more senior players ahead of them (depending on who you count as a wide player e.g Holmes, waghorn if marriott returns, bennett, etc) 

But Thomas was sold before Cocu arrived and must’ve been Franks decision Thomas plays  left side and JP can play either so not a bad signing 

16 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

It's not so much about Paterson's age - 27 is nothing, and arguably a midfielder's prime - it's more that we've brought in a loan player who is deemed surplus to requirements by the club who finished two places below us.

It sort of suggests we've either had very few other available targets, or the wage budget/transfer fund is a bit depleted.

Loans when used well can be very good, and I'm not questioning JP himself, but the way MM talked in pre-season seemed to suggest we would be focusing on young players whom Cocu could increase the value of.

So far only Bielik potentially fits that description.

Maybe our academy players are better than the loans we could have got or did get? What if Cocu plans on transitioning  several of them across the season, but slowly. The loans brought in to provide cover this season during this phase?

Archived