Pre Season Friendly v Girona (H)

EnigmaRam

There’s also the possibility that Cocu wants to know who he wants to keep and who he wants to ship out.

Training gives some idea but it’s how they are in a match situation and how they can adapt to his tactics he will want to see.

Only then can he effectively deal in the transfer market.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Rangers is the proper 1st team run out and is in less than 3 days, which is a bit too quick a turn around for the best team to get a full game. Plus, if the 1st team only got 15 mins v Burton, that would've meant only 15 mins game time in about 10 days, which isn't enough. 75 mins, then 15 mins then the full 90 makes sense to me, at least

I think the home game not being the marquee season opening friendly has confused a few people...

One of those things, we dominated and lost. 

The second string showed signs of brilliance.. 

its a run out which we dominated when we changed up. 

Louis Sibley looking good. Keogh looked sharpe, max lowe in stages 

Anya looked good no end product, left back still up for grabs. 

Rights sealed, 1 of the 2 CB’s sealed, left back up for grabs but think Max will improve. 

Shinnie looks ok.. hudds looks good that’s a tough one. 

Louis sibley looks a baller.. 

front 3/4 looks a choice.. defo Marriott and Waghorn again Lawerence I feel is a doubt.. I guess that’s what pre-season is for.. 

1 minute ago, superzak said:

I think ultimately it prooved the youngsters are not as good as people would like to believe. Sibley and knight apart serious money needs throwing at this team in the next few days

It didn't prove anything. 

It's part of their learning process. It wasn't an exam

41 minutes ago, jono said:

Anya is never going to be a fan favourite but he is intelligent. Gets in the right place has made good crosses. Pity the killer instinct isn’t quite there

He sums up my love making technique.

Gets in the right position, but then aimlessly thrusts his balls into the box.

2 minutes ago, superzak said:

im not angry im disappointed with the quality on show...this was girona of the second division not Barcelona

Girona, relegated last season against Derby of the second division.

It was a pre season friendly where young players were given a chance to show what they've got and other players were given minutes to build fitness. 

It meant feck all when we beat Burton and it means feck all now. Maybe friendlies aren't for you 

Thoughts from watching that - 

Buchanan - Looked very comfortable at the back, decent left foot on him too, looked more comfortable than Davies

Davies - Not sure if its because he is playing catch up from injury or because he is on the right hand side instead of his usual left but he didnt look that comfortable on the ball, Buchanan more impressive

Lowe - Season of proper football has done him the world of good, looks much stronger now but still think he will be behind Malone & Forsyth

Whittaker - Some flashes of quality but not ready for first team football imo, very 1 footed and will be easily found out

Bird - Wasnt impressed by him at all, at fault for the 2nd goal, think Sibley & Knight might overtake him in the first team picture. Could do with a season out on loan like Lowe

Anya - Had a decent game, beat his man on a number of occasions and put some decent balls in. Not sure why he has been out the first team picture but may get his chance under Cocu

Shinnie - Box to box, once he is settled and not overly keen to impress he could become a fans favourite with his energy

Special mentions - Sibley looked quality when he came on, as mentioned before I think both he & Knight may overtake Bird in the first team picture

I did enjoy some of our play, especially whwn it involved many academy playwrs, future looks bright!

1 hour ago, David said:

Sibley is the one I’m tipping to make the breakthrough this year. Will go far this lad.

Looks and plays like the love child of David Batty and Lee Bowyer.... or our new Seth.... 

*swoon*

Just now, superzak said:

im not angry im disappointed with the quality on show...this was girona of the second division not Barcelona

To be fair Zak it was no secret that tonights team was to give minutes to those that didn't play v Burton, it's not like you've paid £20 for a League match to turn up and see the reserves put out. Those that did pay did so of their own free will, no need to be offended by what we saw on their behalf, they may not have been expecting the same level of performance you was.

Pre season is about giving minutes and opportunities to all the squad, not just picking your strongest team and running with it throughout, football is a squad game, we need to make sure they are all ready.

The team that started was a mish mash of youngsters, first team and backup players and it showed, but you can't read into much from that as they probably wouldn't play again as an 11 ever again.

When what you would assume is the bulk of the team that will start v Huddersfield came on the difference was night and day, I'm sure I read the plan was to go to Rangers with pretty much the team we would be looking to play come the start of the season, might be a better game for you.

17 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm reading the comments on here and don't see many people moaning, just people moaning about (non-existant) moaners.

I think everyone understands kids are playing and will play throughout the season. People will / should allow Cocu to build something over time.

Totally agree with you , but some people on here have shorter attention spans than a goldfish and give nobody any chance at all . See someone play  5 minutes and make a mistake and harangue them for the rest of the season ! ......come on FFS give them a chance you impatient b#ggers , we are trying to build something,  if you don't like it go find someone else to moan about , you fun sucking sponges !!

There was enough talent out there to get top six if no major injuries. Knight, Lowe, Sibley pressing for substitute time from game one. Centre half situation is ok for me, Evans and Davies. Midfield with Sibley, Knight, Hudds, Holmes, Dowell and Shinnie looks very promising. 

Replacement for Wilson plus goalkeeper for me double quick. Forwards there or thereabouts but Zoon and Lawrence need to do more. 

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I think the home game not being the marquee season opening friendly has confused a few people...

Yes  agreed our last friendly of any new season  should be at home against high class opponents  in my opinion not this waste of time tonight even the attendance speaks volumes.

Would of been nice to see Chelsea at Pride park perhaps although it looks like FL is not going to do us no favours

Few bright sparks. Think Buchanan has something in him for sure. Dowell and Shinnie looking decent too. Sibley and Knight impressive. Lawrence positive too. Evans striding out and passing looking good also. 

Few negatives (if you want to call them that) too... Davies very much a back up, struggles with 5 yard passes. Anya did everything in his power to make runs to where he couldn’t be given the ball time after time. Martin pretty much pap all round. 

Overall, their first team played our kids and were 2-0 up on a massive deflection and mistake whilst our centre back was hobbled. Shouldn’t be downhearted about it. 

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You paid £20 for a friendly and are angry that it's played like a friendly?

It was played like an U23s friendly where the admittance fee is usually £0 and you wouldn't even need to leave your sofa.

I'm not really bothered about the money or team. Usually love watching the youngsters, but surely in your penultmate pre season friendly and home 'showcase' you shouldn't be limited to 15 minutes of your first team playing at a tenpo 3 times that of the 75 minutes before.

I'm just worried that our pre season schedule has been nowhere near strong or enough busy enough to prepare is for the season ahead and I'm getting horrible flashbacks to the Pearson era. Probably just being paranoid tbh.

Just now, Taribo said:

Looks and plays like the love child of David Batty and Lee Bowyer

Looks like a young Darren Fletcher to me, not so much the footballer, just appearance.

Does have a bite about him, not afraid to stick a boot in, you can see he's not going to be one of those young players that come in and gets bullied, kick him and he'll kick you back twice as hard.

Fully expect to be a regular name in the referees notebook, I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't spill over into Lee Cattermole territory. 

Archived