Pre Season Friendly v Girona (H)

EnigmaRam

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Totally agree with you , but some people on here have shorter attention spans than a goldfish and give nobody any chance at all . See someone play  5 minutes and make a mistake and harangue them for the rest of the season ! ......come on FFS give them a chance you impatient b#ggers , we are trying to build something,  if you don't like it go find someone else to moan about , you fun sucking sponges !!

Fans who moan about every little thing are indeed tiresome and fans moaning about other fans moaning about every little thing is even more annoying, but what really gets me riled are the insufferable gits who moan about fans moaning about other fans moaning about every little thing

28 minutes ago, David said:

Looks like a young Darren Fletcher to me, not so much the footballer, just appearance.

Does have a bite about him, not afraid to stick a boot in, you can see he's not going to be one of those young players that come in and gets bullied, kick him and he'll kick you back twice as hard.

Fully expect to be a regular name in the referees notebook, I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't spill over into Lee Cattermole territory. 

You beat me to it. He’s got potential, great commitment and knows what he wants to do or should do but he looked ragged and rash at times. He’s going to have to learn some control or he’ll have a lot of cards. 

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

This is a good run out. Some fans wanted to see martin, some wanted to see youth. They've got their wish & now they are moaning 

Its about getting a look at everyone. So far from tonight we've learnt lowe looks to have improved & the lad at cb looks decent 

If we'd have played our first 11 nothing would have been learnt. Its decent... We got beat by Mansfield last year... Not sure what the fuss is about 

I really want to see Martin with our first team players playing. I genuinely think his link up play would be beneficial to Dowell, Marriott, Lawrence and possibly Shinnie. 

First team for Rangers looking pretty clear. Pity Holmes/Marriott have been injured. Dowell, Hudds, Sibley/Knight for me in midfield. Shinnie got a lot to do to get in my team. Anya not far behind Lawrence, certainly deserves 20 mins a game if Lawrence/Zoon not doing much

I think people that haven't been involved in top level sports and the science side of things get the wrong impression about pre season matches. If it's the same as the sport i'm involved in this stage (1-2 weeks out) it's all about getting the body used to getting hit with the High Lactate levels. Think of swimmers "Tapering down" towards competition. This muscle soreness ranges out 2 -3 days which happens to be around when the next game is. In short i would imagine that there thinking is to put out the 1st team at the start of the Rangers game, let them hit that Lactate level (when the muscles slow down) then get them off and "taper" towards the Huddersfield game. Hope that makes some sense. Iv'e attached a little bit about it below if anyone is interested.

When the body has plenty of oxygen, pyruvate is shuttled to an aerobic pathway to be further broken down for more energy. But when oxygen is limited, the body temporarily converts pyruvate into a substance called lactate, which allows glucose breakdown—and thus energy production—to continue. The working muscle cells can continue this type of anaerobic energy production at high rates for one to three minutes, during which time lactate can accumulate to high levels.

A side effect of high lactate levels is an increase in the acidity of the muscle cells, along with disruptions of other metabolites. The same metabolic pathways that permit the breakdown of glucose to energy perform poorly in this acidic environment. On the surface, it seems counterproductive that a working muscle would produce something that would slow its capacity for more work. In reality, this is a natural defense mechanism for the body; it prevents permanent damage during extreme exertion by slowing the key systems needed to maintain muscle contraction. Once the body slows down, oxygen becomes available and lactate reverts back to pyruvate, allowing continued aerobic metabolism and energy for the body’s recovery from the strenuous event.

Contrary to popular opinion, lactate or, as it is often called, lactic acid buildup is not responsible for the muscle soreness felt in the days following strenuous exercise. Rather, the production of lactate and other metabolites during extreme exertion results in the burning sensation often felt in active muscles, though which exact metabolites are involved remains unclear. This often painful sensation also gets us to stop overworking the body, thus forcing a recovery period in which the body clears the lactate and other metabolites.

30 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Clear improvement in standard of passing all round. Sibley could be as good as Mount. Three young guns in first team will do better than in an U23 side because they have better players around them.

Awww Rampage .. our agreement quotient is usually quite high but no way on earth is Sibley a Mount. He’s a rough diamond who might be very good if cut and polished. Mount, platinum set brilliant cut  VVs1

4 minutes ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Their player Soni looked very good. Would love to try get him or a player like him. Have no idea how much he would be valued at but he’s 21 and looked quite tricky but also direct. The type of winger we’ve been missing.

I thought the same.

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I thought Rangers was the main friendly.

I just would rather Cocu does what he needs to do to get the maximum amount of players fit and ready. Lampard and Florida storms were far from ideal. I do agree pre season has looked a bit of a mess. 

But I thought we all knew after the Burton game that the other players would play? I think Cocu has said in an interview that the Rangers game will be close to the team he wants?

I wouldn't pay £20 for a friendly tbh. I don't think tonight was worth it and I don't think Rangers or Man United or anyone else is worth it. 

As I say I'm just a bit concerned, not angry and I can understand the reasons behind the squad decisions. I knew what I was going to get when I bought the ticket (£16 to ST holders, which is OK in itself)

It's hard not to compare it to last season though when we'd played 2 PL sides off the park, both at home to decent attendances, you just got a sense that we were 'ready' or as close as can be to what was ahead.

The main friendly shouldn't ever be an away trip that would require an high travel / accommodation  expense. And again, does playing Rangers feel like preparation for the new season or does it feel like a bit of an unwanted distraction? I suppose it's a  a bit of a strange glamour tie in truth, probably no more a distraction that when we played Barcelona and PSG etc

Again, it's just an uneasy feeling I have about it rather than a proper judgement. It could all turn out brilliantly. I don't feel in my gut that we're properly prepared and no sound logic is helping shake the feeling.

Probably not helped by alcohol, nor is my typing!

3 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

I think people that haven't been involved in top level sports and the science side of things get the wrong impression about pre season matches. If it's the same as the sport i'm involved in this stage (1-2 weeks out) it's all about getting the body used to getting hit with the High Lactate levels. Think of swimmers "Tapering down" towards competition. This muscle soreness ranges out 2 -3 days which happens to be around when the next game is. In short i would imagine that there thinking is to put out the 1st team at the start of the Rangers game, let them hit that Lactate level (when the muscles slow down) then get them off and "taper" towards the Huddersfield game. Hope that makes some sense. Iv'e attached a little bit about it below if anyone is interested.

When the body has plenty of oxygen, pyruvate is shuttled to an aerobic pathway to be further broken down for more energy. But when oxygen is limited, the body temporarily converts pyruvate into a substance called lactate, which allows glucose breakdown—and thus energy production—to continue. The working muscle cells can continue this type of anaerobic energy production at high rates for one to three minutes, during which time lactate can accumulate to high levels.

A side effect of high lactate levels is an increase in the acidity of the muscle cells, along with disruptions of other metabolites. The same metabolic pathways that permit the breakdown of glucose to energy perform poorly in this acidic environment. On the surface, it seems counterproductive that a working muscle would produce something that would slow its capacity for more work. In reality, this is a natural defense mechanism for the body; it prevents permanent damage during extreme exertion by slowing the key systems needed to maintain muscle contraction. Once the body slows down, oxygen becomes available and lactate reverts back to pyruvate, allowing continued aerobic metabolism and energy for the body’s recovery from the strenuous event.

Contrary to popular opinion, lactate or, as it is often called, lactic acid buildup is not responsible for the muscle soreness felt in the days following strenuous exercise. Rather, the production of lactate and other metabolites during extreme exertion results in the burning sensation often felt in active muscles, though which exact metabolites are involved remains unclear. This often painful sensation also gets us to stop overworking the body, thus forcing a recovery period in which the body clears the lactate and other metabolites.

One guy in USA metabolises lactate so quickly that he can run all day long. Freak of nature. Stan Lee's collection of super dudes.

2 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Nice to see Shinnie showing glimpses of how he can play,not afraid to let opposing players know he is there and getting stuck in. Not had time to settle in yet and had very little game time.

Needs a month to get to speed of the rest. Rams style of play could see Waghorn getting a lot of goals this year 

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

As I say I'm just a bit concerned, not angry and I can understand the reasons behind the squad decisions. I knew what I was going to get when I bought the ticket (£16 to ST holders, which is OK in itself)

It's hard not to compare it to last season though when we'd played 2 PL sides off the park, both at home to decent attendances, you just got a sense that we were 'ready' or as close as can be to what was ahead.

The main friendly shouldn't ever be an away trip that would require an high travel / accommodation  expense. And again, does playing Rangers feel like preparation for the new season or does it feel like a bit of an unwanted distraction? I suppose it's a  a bit of a strange glamour tie in truth, probably no more a distraction that when we played Barcelona and PSG etc

Again, it's just an uneasy feeling I have about it rather than a proper judgement. It could all turn out brilliantly. I don't feel in my gut that we're properly prepared and no sound logic is helping shake the feeling.

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Glamour.....playing an SPL team ?

6 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Nah - get over him - rolling on the floor again 

Just to let you know rolling on the floor when somebody studs your Achilles is a common occurrence. Also just thought I'd let you know, if you get shot in the head you'll probably die. Also, if a bus hits you, you'll probably come off worse. 

Archived