Pre Season Friendly v Girona (H)

EnigmaRam

Decent run out ! Enjoyed a prime seat in the west stand just about on the half way line instead of my usual Pugh in the South stand . Spoilt with a view in there aren't you ? 

Regarding the game , good to see a few of the younger players get a run out and it would have done them the world of good in there development . 

Out of the younger crop coming through

Sibely - looks exciting and could make an impact as early as this season

Knight - got some real quality about him and again can see him being a player involved this season

Buchanan - Impressive passing out from the back and looks quite composed a lower league loan will do him the world of good.

Bateman - looked a tad out of his depth tonight and found himself out of position a fair few times .

Whittaker- looks raw but definitely some talent there 

Bird - I'm still not 100 % on . Definitely something there but I still don't think he knows his best position. 

Noteable points from our playing style

* Were going to pass .... A lot 

* Pressing seems slightly different , more of a press when needed instead of pressing every ball. 

* Looks as though we're going to play out from the back , regardless . 

* Looks as though we will play wider with the full backs cutting in creating more space for the wingers . 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hasn’t developed physically yet, but he is only 18. Not tall enough or strong enough for Championship football yet. 

Hunt’s not quite as good on the ball (but is fantastic at long range passing), but his height means he’s better in the air. Seems to lack a bit of awareness of where the opposition are (or will be due to runs)

I said that without moving my lips! ? 

I think Buchanan is a classy passer, reads the game well and is calmer under pressure than Hunt, who gave it away a lot when under duress at Alfreton on Saturday. 

I  agree that he isn't up to Championship level yet. Will the lack of height tell on him? Probably in the Championship. But he could play further forward as he has strength on the ball. 

Thought Max Lowe and Jason Knight looked great tonight and I love Sibley's commitment. 

Enjoyable to see the mix of youngsters and established players but I wish we had two more friendlies rather than one. Wembley made pre-season short and the schedule itself (how much influence did Frank have there? ) is a bit odd. 

The weather didn't help. I was lathered just sitting in the stand so well done to all who played. 

First match in my new posh seat and I like the view. 

We've not really got any right to question any player until they're playing with our first team so the tools are in place. If I turn up tomorrow and somebody has nicked my desk, two things would be obvious.

1. It's my fault for working in Nottingham

2. I wouldn't be of any use to the company.

44 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Nice to see Shinnie showing glimpses of how he can play,not afraid to let opposing players know he is there and getting stuck in. Not had time to settle in yet and had very little game time.

Shinnie will be a very important player for us this season, he has a great engine, and a good attitude, will be a crowd fav by Christmas.. Will give our midfield bite and energy a younger Bryson.

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not possible to say how well Martin will play - but he looks just like the Martin of old. Playing him with the reserves isn't really showing up his strengths, although with limited service tonight he looked okay. He's scored as many as Waghorn has in the past - they're similar ages now - why shouldn't Martin be as good as he was? It all depends on how we play and who plays up front with him.

but suppose the manager doesnt want to play the way Martin does?

Hey guys

I throught Derby young guns played okay considering they gave good as they got lifted hobbilying but mitchall will not make at Derby sadly.

But was one two players looked promising I throught sebley played well made some good runs and took players on.

I think martin looked sharp held the play and link one two good moves toghather but he struck the free kick and tested the keeper force the save.

Shinnie grafted and tried help younger players but for me he could taken there players on a bit more but let him off as only first game at pp.

Sheffield untied lad we got on loan from eventorn for me he had nevouse play about him rushed play a bit but on a whole he did okay.

2 hours ago, David said:

2 young CM’s looking to breakthrough, one a blonde English lad, the other an Irish lad. We’ve been here before haven’t we?

First I’ve seen of Sibley and have to concur that he has that factor x; good balance, nice gait, quick feet and a strong, competitive edge. Looks better on a very limited comparison to be better than Shinnie. Not conclusively so, but Shinnie thus far, seems a tad light. I’m sure he’s got more in his locker but Sibley gets my nod. 

1 hour ago, LB_DCFC said:

Rangers is the proper 1st team run out and is in less than 3 days, which is a bit too quick a turn around for the best team to get a full game tonight. Plus, if the 1st team only got 15 mins v Burton, that would've meant only 15 mins game time in about 10 days, which isn't enough. 75 mins, then 15 mins then the full 90 makes sense to me, at least

I think I would have gone for a 60-30 split.

60 mins for the youngsters on Saturday, 30 minutes tonight.

30 minutes v Burton, 60 minutes tonight, up to 90 minutes v Rangers for the first team, so it is gradual but still a good test for the players.

What conclusions can we really make from the first team comfortably beating a team below their level, and the youngsters underwhelming against a side that were in La Liga last year?

Some good experience for the youngsters tonight, I thought Sibley amongst others did ok. Unfortunately the RB was caught out numerous times and looked a bit frozen in the headlights.

Tempo was a lot better in the second half and it was amazing to see Anya turn into Ronaldo for a while ?

I managed to feed my kids Co-op 3 for £1 sweets without the steward calling in the heavies - he was too busy drumming on his legs.

I’ve got to admit, the play seemed a bit too sideways  and I hate seeing defenders play around the edge of the box but we’ve got to give it time.

To me the result didn't matter. All the players were playing to get into the starting eleven, the problem with that is some try to impress too much and overplay which is totally natural. I think things will settle down once the starting eleven are known, They will know they have to stay on their game knowing if their form drops there are others waiting to take their place. In my opinion we are at a better place this year than last we have youngsters coming through who will put pressure on the 1st team.

The trouble is some expect instant results with flawless play

Managed to have a fan sitting behind me slag off Keogh within 20 minutes of the first half when he wasn't even on the pitch. Lovely stuff. 

Game wasn't amazing. Sibley really caught me eye though, clearly strong in the tackle, seems to have the Will Hughes ability to glide past a player, some of his passing was intercepted but always looking to play the ball forward. Huge fan. 

Max Lowe was pretty good on the ball, Malone is currently the better of the two but I think Lowe easily has the ability to surpass him, questions around defensive positioning and defending crosses remain. 

1 hour ago, DazaDunn said:

Can't judge the older players when they're surrounded by kids. Tell me what chances he's had? Same with Anya, they'll improve with quality around them. 

Think that's a bit of a cop out tbh. The older players should be helping the younger players and showing clearly a level above. Martin and Anya were both pretty poor tonight.

I’ll echo many so far in that Sibley & Knight have to be in and around the match day squad this season. Both look ready and could compliment each other well for years to come. Hopefully Lowe can replicate this form in meaningful games and challenge Malone for starting position. The loan last year has done him a world of good.

Watching Martin reminded me of his last season for us. Lack of movement, predictable, going to ground too easy and no goal threat whatsoever. Love him for all he did for us, but he shouldn’t be anywhere near our squad. Offers very little and makes us so much more predictable as a team. His record over last 2 seasons speaks for itself and it’s time to move him on permanently.

Shinnie will bring something different in midfield, a more mobile and energetic Johnson. Dowell is a great addition and should be a huge player for us.

Still don’t see anything in Jozefzoon to convince me he is good enough to start for us. If we are relying on him for more than an odd cameo off the bench we will be in trouble.

Think as a minimum we need the following and we should be challenging again:

Goalkeeper

Center Back with pace

Holding Midfield Player for competition with TH

Right Sided Attacking Player

Don’t understand at all the criticism Chris Martin coming in for from some directions here tonight .. 

a) .. he didn’t get much support or service ..

b) .. on the rare occasions he received the ball he executed some sublime deflections to oncoming players, as only he can in our squad .. 

c) .. he gained us a couple of free kicks, again, as only he knows how to engineer ..

d) .. his free kick attempt was only unsuccessful due a great save from their keeper ..

So, a great showing from a great player in my opinion, so get off his back and just accept that you know nothing about football or footballers !! 

17 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Don’t understand at all the criticism Chris Martin coming in for from some directions here tonight .. 

b) .. on the rare occasions he received the ball he executed some sublime deflections to oncoming players, as only he can in our squad .. 

c) .. he gained us a couple of free kicks, again, as only he knows how to engineer ..

d) .. his free kick attempt was only unsuccessful due a great save from their keeper ..

So, a great showing from a great player in my opinion, so get off his back and just accept that you know nothing about football or footballers !! 

Hi chris

25 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Ok I’ll bite;

a) he didn’t really attempt to challenge for the ball or chase down like others in our squad would.

b) like the ones Waggy was doing last season you mean?

c) pretty sure a few our our players could fall over with a gust of wind too if they wanted.

d) the keeper saved it, it was neither a great save nor a great free kick.

Goodnight x 

Archived