Pre Season Friendly v Girona (H)

EnigmaRam

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ramboy63 said:

Total waste of a friendly game,i get giving fringe players a run out but 60% of the starting line up will be no were near our first 18 let alone starting 11 and if they are we are in big trouble

We have one more game before the new season starts and a little concerned that we seem to be making no more signings

The three loan players gone back we have replaced them with Dowell and Shinnie, could be a long season folks

You are aware we play Rangers on Sunday I presume? 

That was a reality check. 

A polite way for saying it was poor. I still like the look of knight. Sibley and buchanan had moments but nothing to get overly excited about. Shinnie looked very ordinary.

hopefully the heat was a major factor.

Martin flatters to deceive with a couple of deft flicks now and again but to look his best needs the team to be built around him. Same issue as he was last here.

Waghorn undoubtedly top choice till Marriott is fit. 

Still think we need a new DM, CB, GK and a winger with end product.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Glamour.....playing an SPL team ?

That's my point.

It's a fixture we seemed to commit to because Lampard was here and Gerrard is there, and a bit of a replay from the Ted McMinn testimonial, not because it's something that we actually should or would have been playing otherwise or would really benefit us in the long run.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No. I’m asking a genuine question. 

It's not possible to say how well Martin will play - but he looks just like the Martin of old. Playing him with the reserves isn't really showing up his strengths, although with limited service tonight he looked okay. He's scored as many as Waghorn has in the past - they're similar ages now - why shouldn't Martin be as good as he was? It all depends on how we play and who plays up front with him.

13 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

Just to let you know rolling on the floor when somebody studs your Achilles is a common occurrence. Also just thought I'd let you know, if you get shot in the head you'll probably die. Also, if a bus hits you, you'll probably come off worse. 

I admire your loyalty and salute that ...

I faded in and out the second half, in fact I didn't even see their second goal as I was looking away but: 

Mitchell - I'm not sure about him. I really don't see him ever being a serious contender for the number 1 shirt. Rowett liked him more than Roos, but it's not close for me. 

Bateman - He's clearly got his limitations, but he's fairly sensible. He's got a bit of bite about him. 

Buchanan - I think he's got a lot of potential. I really liked him when I watched him at youth team level. He's a very good footballer, plus he's building up nicely. He's naturally left sided too. 

Davies - as others have mentioned, he looks like he's chasing shadows. He's not quite right. I don't know if that will come later, but I'd say he's got little chance of playing the first game. 

Lowe - I really liked his performance. He's sensible when defending, played with aggression and showed good quality. He's a better footballer than Malone. I'd personally start with him come opening day. 

Bird - lacks presence, which has been a recurring theme when he's come into the first team. He's got ability, but either needs a loan or to be played further up the pitch. 

Shinnie - He's clearly not an exceptional footballer, but he's got an great engine and he's tidy enough. He's good at creating options. 

Dowell - He has exceptional ability, so I'm delighted we've signed him. He'll frustrate some supporters who want a full blooded midfielder, but he'll drift around and pick passes. he's quick thinking and can play at pace. I thought his through ball to set up Shinnie was a sign of things to come. 

Anya - I can't see him getting much game time. He's actually an okay player, but he's definitely limited. 

Martin - He had classy touches, showed good link up play. He's no good chasing the ball, so always looks a bit clumsy when asked to do so. He could play very well with Marriott. 

Whittaker - I'd say it was similar to Bird. He also lacks presence, despite showing flashes of ability. I'd definitely keep him in-and-around the first team. He needs a bit of coaching and experience, but think he could come on nicely.

Others of note:

Knight - he's a very good player. I can definitely see why he's been handed some appearances on the bench ahead of some others. 

Sibley - I really like SIbley, although it wasn't his very best performance today. He showed his nasty, competitive edge. He's got huge ability. I would love to see him get opportunities this season, but like with every young player his influence will grow. 

Bogle - He's looking a class above now, personally I just get the impression that he's set up to be our POTY this season. The amount of ground he covers is outstanding. 

Keogh and Evans - I think these are set up for the starting game. They have a good balance, Evans looks much more accomplished at CB than at CM, but I guess he's not really being tested. 

Lawrence - He looked very sharp in his little cameo. I just hope he continues with the same level of aggression, because the difference between good and great wingers for me is purely their aggression to get to the ball first and to show for it. 

I still think we need four players in over the next two weeks as a bare minimum. GK, CB, CM & RW. 

Just now, irobinson said:

I admire your loyalty and salute that that....

It's nothing to do with loyalty bud, when a player is intelligent you never know what he's going to do with the ball. In that case, you have to clip the man to stop his move. I'll be the first to admit I'm a dirty player myself and whenever I play against intelligent players, slight kicks to the back of his legs and nudges into the back are my only options. 

Basically confirms we’re not ready for the season yet in terms of our squad, major numbers in and out required in the coming weeks. So nothing we didn’t already know, but cocu will have had it verified there by that poor performance in the main. First team isn’t awful, though still lacking in centre back, centre mid and wide forward imo. Beyond that though, we’re really short of options all over the park, other than up front and fullback. Squad at the moment is a mile off top 6 standard imo, and will struggle to make top half imo until the areas I’ve highlighted above have been sorted out. 

Shouldn’t be any massive negative overreactions towards the coaching staff, we were expecting that team to be put out because that’s all we have as options atm- and we were expecting them to lose, because half of them aren’t good enough. Just as there shouldn’t have been huge positive overreactions to the burton result, these are only pre season games. But it certainly does emphasise we need transfers as I’m sure cocu is already aware based on what we saw today, and I’m sorry but if anyone thinks we can have 5-10 youth promotions then they’re off their heads, most those youngsters aren’t ready yet as today shows. We need proper transfers in until they are if we want to compete.

In terms of individuals, thought anya was quite frankly awful today, everything broke down with him. Ditto with shinnie, though he maybe has the excuse of lack of fitness. Been a poor pre season by him, but that doesn’t always mean a lot. Davies was dire on the ball today too, hopefully just a lack of fitness. Bird too, think he may need a loan. Bateman is a million miles away from championship standard too, Whittaker has potential but is way too raw yet. Sibley and Knight look close but I’m not so sure whether they’re 100% ready yet, need another look/ maybe a loan for one of the two. 

More postively, Buchanan looks a real prospect. Excellent on the ball and reasonable at defending too. I reckon he’s got the biggest chance of being the next bogle. Lowe was extremely impressive too, maybe his year to shine, although we’ve had this with him in pre season before. Martin isolated, but don’t think he suits the system, he doesn’t press enough. Did reasonable when he did get the ball.

Basically a lot of work to be done in a short space of time, but this just confirms what most of us knew already. We can’t rely on loads of youngsters, some yes, but we need transfers. Both in and out (and loans in and out for that matter). If we want to challenge, it needs to be a VERY busy fortnight. But it’s all still possible if the right work is going on in the background, and we still have some decent first teamers so the result tonight shouldn’t be taken too much notice of. What the performances highlight though, is we’re still very short on quality options.

It felt like a pre-season friendly to be honest... hang on... 

Lowe looked decent. Anya did what he does but looked a bit chunky.

Martin started well then did what he does. Fell out with the opposition and fell over, barged and left something on them a few times. He looked in shape but got distracted with his own little wars too much.

Davies looked awkward. He looked fragile and (sorry to say this) a bit past it.

Bird did ok as usual with decent reading of the game.

Huddlestone looked static but pinged some good passes.

Shinnie put his foot in a bit too obviously. His passing varied from ok to not ok.

Dowell did well in patches but gave the ball away worryingly often.

Whitaker did ok.

Their big CH did what CH's do and got the ball out of their box. Their CH Soni but the ball in the net well for their second.

The very able Marc Muniesa played CH for Girona (Segunda) Curtis Davies played for us.

That said, it was all a bit pointless given that few of the above who got 70 minutes are likely to start for us.

I hope that their full back is ok after Bateman (I think) clattered his ankle ( I think).

7 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

It's nothing to do with loyalty bud, when a player is intelligent you never know what he's going to do with the ball. In that case, you have to clip the man to stop his move. I'll be the first to admit I'm a dirty player myself and whenever I play against intelligent players, slight kicks to the back of his legs and nudges into the back are my only options. 

Kenny what are you doing on the Derby forum?

5 minutes ago, europia said:

Ooh careful what you say. Many posters will testify that Chris Martin shouldn't be judged on his performances ?

Of course he should be judged on his performances, but when the right tools are on the pitch with him. I wouldn't expect Lewis Hamilton to win a race if you gave him a Fiat panda. Give him time, a few appearances off of the bench with the first team and we'll see what he's like. Same with the likes of Sibley, let's see if he can do it in the championship or if he needs a loan move. 

A very low key contest as you'd probably expect in the heat. We didn't carry much goal threat until the "first team" entered the fray in the latter stages, though by then most of their team had been changed too so it was a case of roles reversed I guess.

Sibley certainly looked a good prospect, somewhat in the mould of Will Hughes and Jason Knight looked very industrious. Anya had a bright second half after a very quiet first period.

Shinnie looked a similar sort of player to Bryson from first glance, maybe a direct replacement. Oh and Evans used the ball well from the back when he came on. I'll be shocked if we make much impression in the league unless we get two or three quality singings before the start up but hopefully I will be surprised when it gets underway.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I faded in and out the second half, in fact I didn't even see their second goal as I was looking away but: 

Mitchell - I'm not sure about him. I really don't see him ever being a serious contender for the number 1 shirt. Rowett liked him more than Roos, but it's not close for me. 

Bateman - He's clearly got his limitations, but he's fairly sensible. He's got a bit of bite about him. 

Buchanan - I think he's got a lot of potential. I really liked him when I watched him at youth team level. He's a very good footballer, plus he's building up nicely. He's naturally left sided too. 

Davies - as others have mentioned, he looks like he's chasing shadows. He's not quite right. I don't know if that will come later, but I'd say he's got little chance of playing the first game. 

Lowe - I really liked his performance. He's sensible when defending, played with aggression and showed good quality. He's a better footballer than Malone. I'd personally start with him come opening day. 

Bird - lacks presence, which has been a recurring theme when he's come into the first team. He's got ability, but either needs a loan or to be played further up the pitch. 

Shinnie - He's clearly not an exceptional footballer, but he's got an great engine and he's tidy enough. He's good at creating options. 

Dowell - He has exceptional ability, so I'm delighted we've signed him. He'll frustrate some supporters who want a full blooded midfielder, but he'll drift around and pick passes. he's quick thinking and can play at pace. I thought his through ball to set up Shinnie was a sign of things to come. 

Anya - I can't see him getting much game time. He's actually an okay player, but he's definitely limited. 

Martin - He had classy touches, showed good link up play. He's no good chasing the ball, so always looks a bit clumsy when asked to do so. He could play very well with Marriott. 

Whittaker - I'd say it was similar to Bird. He also lacks presence, despite showing flashes of ability. I'd definitely keep him in-and-around the first team. He needs a bit of coaching and experience, but think he could come on nicely.

Others of note:

Knight - he's a very good player. I can definitely see why he's been handed some appearances on the bench ahead of some others. 

Sibley - I really like SIbley, although it wasn't his very best performance today. He showed his nasty, competitive edge. He's got huge ability. I would love to see him get opportunities this season, but like with every young player his influence will grow. 

Bogle - He's looking a class above now, personally I just get the impression that he's set up to be our POTY this season. The amount of ground he covers is outstanding. 

Keogh and Evans - I think these are set up for the starting game. They have a good balance, Evans looks much more accomplished at CB than at CM, but I guess he's not really being tested. 

Lawrence - He looked very sharp in his little cameo. I just hope he continues with the same level of aggression, because the difference between good and great wingers for me is purely their aggression to get to the ball first and to show for it. 

I still think we need four players in over the next two weeks as a bare minimum. GK, CB, CM & RW. 

Top post for me. Needs more than one like. .. especially agree about Lawrence .. he looked really on it, but for a good block from their defence could have had one in the net

I’d also add that Evans has a classy pass on him 

it’s a toss up be tween Malone and Lowe. They both have the intelligence to overlap with the winger and look for a pass. Love Lowes pace and hunger, it is only preseason but as opposed to last year when he looked more a winger than a defender he now seems to have learned a bit on the defensive side and looked very composed. 

Archived