Chris Martin fitness

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RedSox said:

Personally, I couldn't give a cack how much effort he puts into training, as long as he scores goals on matchdays. A bit naive maybe, but he's a born predator and sometimes, you need to think outside the box to get the best from a mercurial talent like him.  

Agreed . I really don't get this thing about Marriott lacking application . When he play's he's the hardest working player on the pitch, that's all I care about .

7 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

We’re dangerously teetering into Forest’s “living in the past” mentality with Chris Martin. 

Not at all. One discussion is about events that occurred before half the forum were even born, the other is about a current employee of Derby County. 

17 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The golden touch?

Yes,he certainly 'ad' that

You mocked the word he didn't typo ?

Or typo'd while mocking a typo ?‍♂️

Classic.

ON topic, while I think Martin's chances of a triumphant return are limited, I see little sense in aggressively writing him off.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You mocked the word he didn't typo ?

Or typo'd while mocking a typo ?‍♂️

Classic.

ON topic, while I think Martin's chances of a triumphant return are limited, I see little sense in aggressively writing him off.

Agree. He has more chance than Thorne who some are suggesting as a starter next season.....

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

Let's be honest neither Martyn or Martin are particular useful when it comes to winning headers between the boxes. Play the ball head height or above to either of them, expecially with their back to goal, and they'll both lose out to the opposition a lot more than they win.

Play the ball at chest height and you're far more likely to get something out of Martin than you are Waghorn. Martin definitely has (or rather had) the edge on Waghorn for holding off the opposition and winning free kicks. Waghorn doesn't 'play the defender' as much and his control can go from the sublime to the ball bouncing 7 foot in the air.

They're both quite useful in our own box at set pieces as the front post man, or as the first man about 8 yards out when they're not competing against anyone to win the header and not being marked.

Between the boxes, as above.

In the opposition box from set pieces, neither are great. In the opposition box from open play / crosses Waghorn has the edge. His actual heading ability (not the same as the ability to win a header) is superior to Martin's IMO, as shown by the quality of some of his goals last season, most notably against WBA.

Good and fair analysis, between chest and foot I'd always back Martin to make more of a long pass than Waghorn, as long as he has players around him to ship it onto, he really doesn't take the ball in and hold it, just uses his technical ability to lay it off for a pass, I've often thought he can pass it with his chest better than some others pass it with their feet!

It really is last chance saloon for him, in many ways Cocu should be the ideal manager for him, if he can't make an impression now he never will.

If he doesn't make it through, I will always remember him fondly, and accept the way we play the game has moved on.

Common sense would suggest that everyone on the books would have a clean slate. However, it's likely that info and profiles will be passed down. I doubt it's been solely the policy of successive managers to send the likes of Martin out on loan. I'd be very surprised if Cocu approached things differently. 

I like Martin, I think he could still be a great player for us. However, I expect too much water has passed under the bridge and he'll be sent out on loan before being released on a free...

I’ve got mixed feelings about Martin, his scoring record for his time with us up until Pearson came in was impressive. Since 2016, wherever he’s been he’s not exactly been prolific, maybe that has been more how teams have been set up and he’s not had the service that he needs to be a top goal scorer. 

It would be interesting to see whether, with a 4-3-3 he can still do a job for us at 30 years old, but I wonder whether it’s a risk too far for Cocu and we’ll see him head out the door... maybe it’s time to move on and look at younger legs. 

2 minutes ago, muttley72 said:

It would be interesting to see whether, with a 4-3-3 he can still do a job for us at 30 years old, but I wonder whether it’s a risk too far for Cocu and we’ll see him head out the door... maybe it’s time to move on and look at younger legs

What, like Waghorn (29)?! ? If Martin is fit and over his illness so that he can play 90 minutes, then there is no reason he can't be the same intelligent footballer that he was pre the Mac2 debacle.

Archived