Chris Martin fitness

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

You’re right. He’s no longer good enough to be our first choice striker...

That hasn't been proven, however it's unlikely to be down to just one striker like with Mac1. We have enough fire-power in the squad to change players and systems.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You’re right. He’s no longer good enough to be our first choice striker - I don’t think many (if any) are arguing that point. However, he’s a fantastic option off the bench / 3rd choice. Similar to why we kept Nugent last season

I'd rather us see Mitchell-Lawson get a run out.

29 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

My only issue with Chris Martin is what would people think if we signed someone now who had the seasons he has had the last few?

I loved the man back in the day, he’s been a great servant. If he comes back better than ever, then great, but I just can’t see it now. 

It's a good point - if we signed him (suppose as a free or low fee) we'd have some dead set against but others saying "well he must see something there and he suited a 4/3/3"

All fell apart for him after the "bring him home" saga January 2017 - hadn't he got 10 for fulham that season before the fall out?

39 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

My only issue with Chris Martin is what would people think if we signed someone now who had the seasons he has had the last few?

I loved the man back in the day, he’s been a great servant. If he comes back better than ever, then great, but I just can’t see it now. 

I think you’re forgetting we signed him off the back of being a journey man. He wants to feel wanted and settled. He has that here so let him play here ? 

Loved Martin in his pomp and he’s still a useful option to have around.........however he’s one of those players who needs to be the focal point for us to get the best out of him. 

I’m not sure Cocu will get us playing in a manner that utilises martins talents, from what I can gather (could be wrong) he likes more rounded mobile strikers, which sadly could make Martin an expensive luxury to have around.

Time will tell but I hope he at least gets the chance to show what he can do!

5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Loved Martin in his pomp and he’s still a useful option to have around.........however he’s one of those players who needs to be the focal point for us to get the best out of him. 

I’m not sure Cocu will get us playing in a manner that utilises martins talents, from what I can gather (could be wrong) he likes more rounded mobile strikers, which sadly could make Martin an expensive luxury to have around.

Time will tell but I hope he at least gets the chance to show what he can do!

Whilst Martin isn’t the most mobile, he keeps the game moving very quickly! Last season I watched so many games where a Martin and Mount/Wilson one two would have opened their defence up. Stoke at home for example. 

14 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

How do you know he's not ready? Talk about writing a player off before you've seen him play!

@RoyMac5 is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here ref the youth teams. He and I don't agree a lot of subjects but he's 100% up on the youth set up I can assure you. If you'd ever read the relevant threads you'd already know this and you'd also be aware of the the fact that he also watches a hell of a lot of the games so your comment is rather silly.

Personally I don't know whether the lad is ready for first team football but then I'm not going to pretend I do either. I do know who I'd be asking from this forum about him though and RoyMac would definitely be on the shortlist. 

Also, for a poster who belittles every thread relating to Chris Martin (and thereby those contributing to them) you sure seem to chime up a lot. A case of 'the lady doth protest to much' it seems?

2 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

Whilst Martin isn’t the most mobile, he keeps the game moving very quickly! Last season I watched so many games where a Martin and Mount/Wilson one two would have opened their defence up. Stoke at home for example. 

True but there was another side to the strikers game that Lampard wanted last season with the high press and its one of the reasons Martin didn’t get a look in.

Sadly Martins uniqueness means he isn’t always fit into a coache/managers plans. hence why he’s had a tough time out on loan

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The real reason Clement was sacked was because Mel’s sausage ban wasn’t being upheld. 

Definitely something to do with a sausage.

One imagines that Cocu will want to introduce one forward from his own scouting, and you would think both Marriott and Waghorn will be given another season to prove themselves.  At best that leaves Martin 4th pick in my view, with a couple of our Academy players itching to get in front of him.  Let’s say Martin Is on £25k per week - in truth l wouldn’t be surprised if he is not on more given McClaren and Rush’s ill advised efforts to keep him from Fulham’s clutches - that to me is a lot of money going out the door each week for cameo appearances.

I am delighted he looks fit and ready to give it his all over the next 4 weeks, and all that counts now is whether he can prove himself to Cocu.  If he doesn’t that means he has failed to impress our last 4 managers, and the time has come to loan him out one final time, or try and get him off the books.

Martin owes us nothing, and he was an excellent player for us for two to three seasons, but in truth has looked a shadow of that player for about the same time since. I wish him the best of luck whatever the outcome.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ah poo, here we go again.... martins time has gone, let it go.

That said, good he’s in good shape, means we might have some permanent suitors for him.

Or a permanent place back in the team if he's in good shape....why the clamour to get rid of him if he can still do it for us?

Let's see what cocu decides after pre season when he has a chance to look at them all and their abilities.

He may decide that Marriott doesn't put enough effort in to training as Frank did and let him go instead...who knows?

Archived