Chris Martin fitness

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

George Thorne - 3 apps in the last 2 years.

No issue with you having an opinion that Thorne won't cut it anymore but at least try and be factually correct with your argument.

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

Personally, I couldn't give a cack how much effort he puts into training, as long as he scores goals on matchdays. A bit naive maybe, but he's a born predator and sometimes, you need to think outside the box to get the best from a mercurial talent like him.  

Personally I feel the same about Marriott and indeed martin...both extraordinary predators in the attack role despite having different attributes....my view is that together they would be a far more lethal combination than waggers/Marriott (again I like waggers,don't get me wrong)

Sith Happens
37 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Waghorn playing central was the catalyst to us making the playoffs last season.

Helped although i think if we had played ashley cole as 1st choice left back we may have even made automatics. ?

I would love for him to chip in this season and if it's his last year with us to end it on a high. I like him, I think he's intelligent, well liked and I will never forget the 13/14 season. 

Hate how he gets constantly picked on for his weight (and I'm not one to be too PC about things trust me). He is clearly not built to be lean, he is stocky but has never been fat. And frankly it must get really demoralizing having all the jabs said to you and written about you. You'd think with the thread we have on here about mental health that people would think more before writing about his weight as it's usually linked heavily with depression etc. Saying that, yes it's unlikely he reads this forum and as I said he isn't built to be really slim like Evans or Wilson but it just makes me uncomfortable reading some of the jokes about it.

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How many tins had you had? Waghorn is a good striker who puts himself about, but his technical ability, hold up play and in the air he's well short of Peak Martin. Their strengths are different.

For me, Waghorn is stronger than Martin, or at least he stays on his feet more (though, as I’ve said before, winning free kicks is a skill that I’m happy for our players to showcase). Also, if you were to pump balls up to Waghorn and Martin, my money would be on Waghorn to get something on it more often than Martin. The same goes for when the ball is whipped in aerially from crosses, free kicks, etc.

Techincally, yes, Martin is streets ahead when he’s firing.

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Also, if you were to pump balls up to Waghorn and Martin, my money would be on Waghorn to get something on it more often than Martin. The same goes for when the ball is whipped in aerially from crosses, free kicks, etc.

Techincally, yes, Martin is streets ahead when he’s firing.

Can't remember Waghorn winning many freekicks in dangerous areas, which as far as Wilson was concerned is the whole attacking third! ? We could have done with some 'wardrobing' plus Martin always defended well at corners. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't remember Waghorn winning many freekicks in dangerous areas, which as far as Wilson was concerned is the whole attacking third! ? We could have done with some 'wardrobing' plus Martin always defended well at corners. 

I love players who win free kicks.

To be fair, my post specifically referenced Birmingham away, in which Waggy was an absolute beast up top.

The problem I have with Martin is I don’t want my 3rd choice striker to be on around £30k a week. I want a youth player as the 3rd choice.

IF he was playing regularly I would have no problems as he does offer something different but where would that leave Marriott and Waghorn? 

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

The problem I have with Martin is I don’t want my 3rd choice striker to be on around £30k a week. I want a youth player as the 3rd choice.

I want a goal-scorer and/or provider as 3rd choice - don't care who or how much. What might we have done last season with someone other than broken down Nuge or inexperienced Bennett?

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

For those suggesting that Martin could be a useful option, perhaps to bring off the bench, I would exercise caution.

Martin seems to thrive on being the main man and getting consistent game time. This can be seen by the fact that he improved massively once we signed him on a permanent deal and made him the main man after a relatively average loan spell.

I love him but I can’t see him cutting the mustard as a bench option, nor can I see him being our first-choice striker. 

I agree with that but his time and Reading where the style didn't suit, he spent most of it on the bench. Hull's style didn't suit him, he was a bench player. Our style will suit him, he will be a bench player. Unless a team comes in offering him the number 9 shirt and plays with him as the focal point, he's better off here.

5 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

We’re dangerously teetering into Forest’s “living in the past” mentality with Chris Martin. 

Could not of put this better myself,maybe there is a Nugent type role for him but for Christ sake lets not turn the clock back 3 years lets move forward,you would play both Marriott or Waghorn as CF way in front of Chris martin

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I want a goal-scorer and/or provider as 3rd choice - don't care who or how much. What might we have done last season with someone other than broken down Nuge or inexperienced Bennett?

Played a goal scorer or provider? ?

Let's be honest neither Martyn or Martin are particular useful when it comes to winning headers between the boxes. Play the ball head height or above to either of them, expecially with their back to goal, and they'll both lose out to the opposition a lot more than they win.

Play the ball at chest height and you're far more likely to get something out of Martin than you are Waghorn. Martin definitely has (or rather had) the edge on Waghorn for holding off the opposition and winning free kicks. Waghorn doesn't 'play the defender' as much and his control can go from the sublime to the ball bouncing 7 foot in the air.

They're both quite useful in our own box at set pieces as the front post man, or as the first man about 8 yards out when they're not competing against anyone to win the header and not being marked.

Between the boxes, as above.

In the opposition box from set pieces, neither are great. In the opposition box from open play / crosses Waghorn has the edge. His actual heading ability (not the same as the ability to win a header) is superior to Martin's IMO, as shown by the quality of some of his goals last season, most notably against WBA.

He has another year on his contract so as I see it we have 2 viable options - either he goes back out on loan or is integrated back into the match-day squad.

Loan fees have obviously offset some of his salary but he's hardly set the world alight during these loan periods so maybe there will be an increasing reluctance on clubs to take him on for a full season. I believe he can still make a worthwhile contribution during the remaining year he has on his contract, obviously not in the way of 3 or 4 seasons ago but what have we got to lose?

4 hours ago, RedSox said:

Personally, I couldn't give a cack how much effort he puts into training, as long as he scores goals on matchdays. A bit naive maybe, but he's a born predator and sometimes, you need to think outside the box to get the best from a mercurial talent like him.  

I don't give a flying rats ass if he turns up for training in his wife's underwear and high heels. I would have preferred to see him start at Wembley to give us at least a chance of an early goal. 

Archived