Chris Martin fitness

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Or a permanent place back in the team if he's in good shape....why the clamour to get rid of him if he can still do it for us?

Let's see what cocu decides after pre season when he has a chance to look at them all and their abilities.

He may decide that Marriott doesn't put enough effort in to training as Frank did and let him go instead...who knows?

Personally, I couldn't give a cack how much effort he puts into training, as long as he scores goals on matchdays. A bit naive maybe, but he's a born predator and sometimes, you need to think outside the box to get the best from a mercurial talent like him.  

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the opinion will be when his hold up play and distribution nets Marriott a few goals? The only problem I saw when he was our main striker was that we played slow football, left him isolated and expected him to work miracles when he had no one to pass to.

To utilise Martin properly we have to play quick passing football and get into positions to receive quick lay-offs. People say he's slow, he is, but he has a quick football brain.

3 minutes ago, KCG said:

I wonder what the opinion will be when his hold up play and distribution nets Marriott a few goals? The only problem I saw when he was our main striker was that we played slow football, left him isolated and expected him to work miracles when he had no one to pass to.

To utilise Martin properly we have to play quick passing football and get into positions to receive quick lay-offs. People say he's slow, he is, but he has a quick football brain.

Could just be the perfect foil for JM - or Waggy.

I’m one of many who have written him off but if Cocu likes playing with a number 9 why wouldn’t you consider him. Not long ago he was the best no 9 in the league.

I would be absolutely delighted if he proves me wrong and becomes a key part of the team again! Still best we’ve had since Strupar

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Or a permanent place back in the team if he's in good shape....why the clamour to get rid of him if he can still do it for us?

Let's see what cocu decides after pre season when he has a chance to look at them all and their abilities.

He may decide that Marriott doesn't put enough effort in to training as Frank did and let him go instead...who knows?

Good shape doesn’t mean he can still do it with us, his recent record and performance level leaves about a 90% likelihood in my book that he isn’t going to be good enough to do a job for us. At least not a starting job anyway- he may do a decent cover job but on his wages we could find someone cheaper to do it, that’s the clamour go get rid of him from me.

Naturally we wait and see what cocu thinks over pre season, new manager gives him a chance to impress that he wouldn’t get under Lampard. But I think it’s very unlikely he’ll show himself to be good enough, possible, but very unlikely. Not something to get anyone’s hopes up about.

Marriott is a separate story and we’ll see whats happening there... all sorts of rumours about him that would need him to buck his ideas up massively or he doesn’t deserve to be here. We’ll see if they’re true or not I guess dependent on what cocu does with him.

2 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Agreed. It's so boring isn't it? 

Another Chris Martin thread... Classic!

It is that boring you have 2 of the first 10 posts in the thread.

I'll repeat what I said in the last thread, don't click on it, don't read it, if it bothers you that much. 

3 goals in his last 40 Championship appearances.

Nick Blackman has a better record. 

1 hour ago, Nick_Ram said:

Deluded.

It's not 2015 anymore. Life moves on. So should you. 

George Thorne - 3 apps in the last 2 years.

I'd rather us see Mitchell-Lawson get a run out.

How do you know he's not ready? Talk about writing a player off before you've seen him play!

"It's boring"

"why's their another Martin thread"

Makes the most posts in the thread ?‍♂️

We've got a world class coach and coaching team in charge, I'm sure Cocu is more than capable of assessing him with the rest of the squad. I therefore have no opinion on him at this stage. In Cocu we trust.

We shouldn't just be writing people off at this stage. Sit back and enjoy the next few weeks of build up. ?

4 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

We've got a world class coach and coaching team in charge, I'm sure Cocu is more than capable of assessing him with the rest of the squad. I therefore have no opinion on him at this stage. In Cocu we trust.

We shouldn't just be writing people off at this stage. Sit back and enjoy the next few weeks of build up. ?

Spot on. I've no idea whether Chris can still do a job for us but I really don't understand the compulsion to write him off without seeing where he's at in terms of form and fitness. Let's see how he goes in the next few weeks after which I'm sure Cocu will have formed an opinion one way or t'other.

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

We missed a big link up man option up front at times last year.

IMO, Waghorn really grew into that role as the season went on. His performance at Brum away was reminiscent of Peak Martin, with a smidgen less technical ability but stronger and a lot better in the air.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

@RoyMac5 is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here ref the youth teams. He and I don't agree a lot of subjects but he's 100% up on the youth set up I can assure you. If you'd ever read the relevant threads you'd already know this and you'd also be aware of the the fact that he also watches a hell of a lot of the games so your comment is rather silly.

Personally I don't know whether the lad is ready for first team football but then I'm not going to pretend I do either. I do know who I'd be asking from this forum about him though and RoyMac would definitely be on the shortlist. 

Also, for a poster who belittles every thread relating to Chris Martin (and thereby those contributing to them) you sure seem to chime up a lot. A case of 'the lady doth protest to much' it seems?

Is that you, 86 Points? Loving the new username.

For those suggesting that Martin could be a useful option, perhaps to bring off the bench, I would exercise caution.

Martin seems to thrive on being the main man and getting consistent game time. This can be seen by the fact that he improved massively once we signed him on a permanent deal and made him the main man after a relatively average loan spell.

I love him but I can’t see him cutting the mustard as a bench option, nor can I see him being our first-choice striker. 

Got bored reading this thread so excuse me if it’s been mentioned but where would Martin fit? Cocu plays 433, two pacy wingers and a single striker, fair enough Martin as a lone striker might get 10 a season but surely at the expense of Marriott getting 25 a season for us?

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

IMO, Waghorn really grew into that role as the season went on. His performance at Brum away was reminiscent of Peak Martin, with a smidgen less technical ability but stronger and a lot better in the air.

How many tins had you had? Waghorn is a good striker who puts himself about, but his technical ability, hold up play and in the air he's well short of Peak Martin. Their strengths are different.

26 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I love him but I can’t see him cutting the mustard as a bench option, nor can I see him being our first-choice striker. 

I'm facinated to see how he gets on. I think the odds are stacked against him to be honest, especially if his health issues persist, but I'd love him to come in and show us all up. I also wonder whether he could not play as the pivot in a fluid front 3, assuming his form and fitness levels are there. Waggers, Stud and Chrissy interchanging or Chris playing as a 10 with the other two running off him are intriguing prospects but I'll concede I'm pretty system-stupid and both formations could be horrible!

EDIT: Just seen @Taribo's post and if that's the case my systems are complete non-starters ? 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How many tins had you had? Waghorn is a good striker who puts himself about, but his technical ability, hold up play and in the air he's well short of Peak Martin. Their strengths are different.

Waghorn playing central was the catalyst to us making the playoffs last season.

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

You ok? 

? 

I rate Marriott too - why didn't Lampard play him more?

Doesn't mean I don't rate the player Martin was and potentially still is - we've not been able to find that out. If Martin had been in the squad rather than Nugent, we'd have been better for it.

Archived