Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I live down south and my son has grown up as a Southampton supporter, despite my best efforts and a fortune spent on Rams shirts. 

Anyhow, Puel's Southampton went a record number of home games without scoring a goal. It then got worse for them... Pellegrino then Hughes. They now have the right man.

Maybe not the right style of play then. Not really seen enough of him to suggest one way or the other. Probably not the right option. 

Just seen how Southampton got so much worse after he left, but I guess that’s due to stupid appointments after. Doing much better now.

I'm going to go for someone who could possibly have the same impact as Frank. FL has raised the profile of our club, has made us more attractive to potential investors and players and promoted the youth. It has been a really enjoyable season for me and I want to maintain the feelgood factor surrounding the club.  The only person I think that could fill the void is John Terry!!!

5 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

No one would’ve even suggested Lee Bowyer had his agent not put that bit in the paper a couple weeks back to get him a pay rise at Charlton. 

I don't think that's necessarily true. He has, undboutedly, done a very very good job at Charlton and were it not for concerns over his previous conduct, I would have been enthusiastic about him from the minutes rumours about Frank started emerging.

Given that we have been linked, I have to take him as a credible option. If we do appoint him, I'd be happy yet fearful of another Kieron Dyer incident.

41 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The 3 candidates I would look at if Lampard goes would be Nigel Adkins, Lee Bowyer and Alex Neil (in that order)

Really rate Adkins, his teams play good football & his positivity is infectious. Exactly the kind of character you want in charge of a team at the business end of a season. Did a superb job at both Scunthorpe & Southampton and has impressed at Hull this last 18 months under very difficult circumstances. I think him taking charge at Derby would be his biggest appointment to date (he took on Saints job whilst they were in League One) & he's available after refusing to sign a new contract with Hull.

Was quite poor at Reading though.

Lee Bowyer is obviously a controversial choice given his past off-field activities but there again Jody Morris was no angel either - I think folk need to see past events from 15 years ago now. In terms of managerial experience, he's pretty much where Lampard is now but with a promotion on his CV and under harder circumstances - Charlton are a real basketcase of a club. Despite that, they play good football and his knowledge of lower divisions would give us a real advantage from a recruitment perspective. The obvious risk is the same as Lampard - he played at the top level, ergo success with us could see him being being coveted by Premiership clubs very quickly.

Most of the population appear quite happy to write Boris Johnson's various illegal activities and past boorish behaviour off and let him be pm.....

Alex Neil has had a very decent start to his managerial career - Hamilton & Norwich (mostly) being very successful stints. He's done a solid job at Preston and think he would do even better with more resources (that he'd get at Derby by comparison). His sides tend to play high intensity, good football so aligned with where Lampard has been trying to take the squad. He was on the verge of taking over at West Brom in April but wanted more control over recruitment. Significant downside with Neil is that he signed a new contract with Preston in April so would cost a lot to get him to Derby.

Surely not more than we would rinse Chelsea for Super frank?

?

I would take Hughton. Tried and tested at this level and above. 

He always seems hard done by but has done well at every team he has been at.

He turned brighton into survivors mainly because they could do nothing else. Only downside is he spent a lot this season to no real gain. Locadia and jakanbash ring a bell as complete flops. 

Would love for him to sign knockhaert for us.

8 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I would take Hughton. Tried and tested at this level and above. 

He always seems hard done by but has done well at every team he has been at.

He turned brighton into survivors mainly because they could do nothing else. Only downside is he spent a lot this season to no real gain. Locadia and jakanbash ring a bell as complete flops. 

Would love for him to sign knockhaert for us.

Another advantage to Hughton is that he would be less likely to move if another club came in for him like some of the other managers suggested probably would ; he’s less likely to see us as a stepping stone. He would be the long term solution. He’s wiser than Lampard and Rowett and probably just wants a bit of stability in his life at this stage of his career, of course he had that at Brighton before he was sacked.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Another advantage to Hughton is that he would be less likely to move if another club came in for him like some of the other managers suggested probably would ; he’s less likely to see us as a stepping stone. He would be the long term solution. He’s wiser than Lampard and Rowett and probably just wants a bit of stability in his life at this stage of his career, of course he had that at Brighton before he was sacked.

No stability in football management but i can so your point. I think he would happily be here for the long term if required.

We need stability after years of churning. 

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Kevin Keegan, just seem him in Blockbusters on Ashbourne road. Says he well up for it.

Time travelling is a rare talent. ?

It’ll be Wassall..... we are not going to chuck money at bigger names..... if and when Lamps goes, we are on a budget now. Watch Wassall take over 

Archived