Suggestions for the next Derby manager

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Not all of us.

No, me neither. I was just making the point that if we want that sort of loyalty, it is going to have to be club man. 

People want both the loyalty AND the big names. Not going to happen. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst 

I would love Gio, and I'm shocked he hasn't been linked with any of the top European clubs.  I suspect he, along with Cocu etc. who have been suggested, are out of our reach...but Leeds got Biesla, so who knows?

Just now, Hathersage Ram said:

I made a comment on this person's suggestion ……. what are you his nanny?

You called me brainless earlier and then called another poster deluded.

So if we're getting it so wrong - why don't you enlighten us? 

Hughton and Jokanovic are great managers for when they're on the attack and have most of the possession. They played great football in the Championship as they were the top teams and most other teams allowed the pressure onto them.

Jokanovic isn't very good for when he needs to grind out a result to stave off relegation against the PL top 6 types. Hughton is a lot better at that. More pragmatic but can switch it up.

7 minutes ago, Shang said:

Hughton and Jokanovic are great managers for when they're on the attack and have most of the possession. They played great football in the Championship as they were the top teams and most other teams allowed the pressure onto them.

Jokanovic isn't very good for when he needs to grind out a result to stave off relegation against the PL top 6 types. Hughton is a lot better at that. More pragmatic but can switch it up.

But we're not in the prem?

Not that it’s relevant yet!

all depends on what type of football we want to play?

attacking? Long ball? % football? Defensive football? Well all managers are put into categories aren’t they 

what can we afford? Who is in work or who would cost to much? 

Based on the players we have and who is currently available I would not discount Mac 3 from happening as he can make a team with what we have that plays good football and we all know that ( one year contract if we could) - big Jak man, well he has been successful in the championship but has had so many interviews recently at good clubs but no job, why ? Rumours suggest he wants way to much money - rumours have us interested in Bowyer which is half an open book as his past has some very unpleasant things in it. For me there are two that may be surprisingly available - Chris Wilder - yes Sheffield United Premiership  manager but he has openly stated that if the court case is unfavourable with the ownership of the club he would resign. If we want to go down high profile route again then go for Gerrard at Rangers as he will have seen what has happened with Lampard. Chris Hughton has a decent record in the championship and is available but style of play is questionable at times and oh yes Rowett is still available but that’s not going to happen is it.

let's talk about Hughton for a moment as a very possible target: 

First job - Newcastle 09-10: It was a Newcastle side that were in disarray and hired him purely as a cheap option. He lost more than £20m in players going out the door and spent a fraction on that with players coming in. He had good players already at the club, but he had to get experienced players to want to battle in the Championship - and they did. He won the league with 102 points, a +55 goal difference & the highest scoring team in the league. He had £12m to spend the season after promotion and was sacked with the club 11th in the Premier League  - 11th! 

Second job - Birmingham City 11-12: Again, he took a team that were relegated and gave them a platform to build on. Again, losing good players and not having much to reinvest. He also had the problematic, if you can call it that, European schedule alongside the Championship. He certainly didn't disappoint, he finished fourth and was edged out in the play-offs. 

Third job - Norwich City 12-14: This is perhaps the only tarnish on his record. Saying that, he finished 11th in the Premier League in his first season there. He just couldn't stop them from being relegated the season after, with what actually was the first season he ever had a decent amount to spend without having to sell first. 

Fourth Job - Brighton 14-19: He took on a side that had won 3 in their first 23 matches and were in the relegation zone of the Championship. He had no room in the budget when he came in, signing the impressive Kayal on a free transfer as his only move. They had some good players, don't get me wrong, but he had to bring them back from that and he managed to keep them up comfortably in the end. The season after, he finished third and was once again knocked out in the play-off semi. It's worth bearing in mind they only finished outside the top 2 on goal difference. They were also the highest scoring team in the league during that season. The season after they pushed a very good Newcastle team all the way and won automatic promotion - second highest scoring team behind Newcastle - and a long way from the chasing pack. The last two seasons, he's managed to keep Brighton up and it's not like he's got a huge budget - even if last season was a bit of a disappointment. 

In summary, the view of his negative football is unwarranted IMO. He's certainly produced high scoring, fast paced sides at this level every chance he's got. He's had good spells in every job, even Norwich, plus he's seen two automatic promotions in the last ten years. He's a very good choice IMO. I like Jokanovic - I do - but Hughton is arguably the steady choice and a manager that would no doubt almost guarantee us challenging next season. 

2 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Jokanovic 1st 2nd and 3rd for me. Plays fantastic football.

I wanna point out, not necessarily to you but to all that are recommending him, that Fulham were bang average before he bought Mitrovic (a striker far too good for this division) in to the team. 

10 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

I'd like someone who really cares about Derby County and just doesn't see it as a stepping stone to a bigger club with a bigger salary. I'd like someone with excellent people skills, who nurtures and develops young academy players and is able to carry on with style of football we have been playing this season.

Dazwas it is then.......?

Archived