Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Forgot Claude Puel had been sacked by Leicester, always seems to do a decent job. Ambitious but maybe worth a shout

I live down south and my son has grown up as a Southampton supporter, despite my best efforts and a fortune spent on Rams shirts. 

Anyhow, Puel's Southampton went a record number of home games without scoring a goal. It then got worse for them... Pellegrino then Hughes. They now have the right man.

Chris Hughton ticks all the boxes for me, an experienced campaigner with a proven track record of staying the course and actually building something. I feel these last couple of seasons have tarnished his reputation in some eyes, but do not underestimate the fantastic job he did with Brighton in the 4 years prior.

Ps. Frank is going nowhere

?

1 hour ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

I Wouldn't mind the Cowley's having a crack, not everybody's cup of tea i know.

But they play a similar style to Frank and aren't afraid at bringing through young blood.

I think there maybe better options but this would put a few newer ideas in the mix.

They are worse than Pulis ball 

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

K-wanka?!?!?  Dour man, dire football, crumbles at the first sign of adversity.  No thanks

Arguably got forest to the best position they’ve been in years! 

If he can do it with them, he can do it with anyone ?

2 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Arguably got forest to the best position they’ve been in years! 

If he can do it with them, he can do it with anyone ?

He still lives on the outside of Derby but the football is basically Rowett style 

2 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It has to be Jovanovic. He has a track record of using loan players and getting sides promoted. He also has good connections with Chelsea having used some of their players in the past.

Did he play with Lampard at Chelsea for a season?

Jokanovic so me; attacking as a 6 or 7.

Other than Martinez's Swansea, Santo's Wolves, and (arguably Bielsa first Leeds team at PP), his Fulham side looked very good going forward at PP.

Even though we beat them (4- 2 or something) they looked very threatening - but weak at the back.

rather that the more of the pointless sideways passing across the back until someone screws up

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Did he play with Lampard at Chelsea for a season?

Did indeed. Also had a couple seasons with Jody Morris. Signed Kalas and Piazon for Fulham, I'd suggest his relationship with them is pretty good, and with Lampard there it'd only be better

2 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

I would love Gio, and I'm shocked he hasn't been linked with any of the top European clubs.  I suspect he, along with Cocu etc. who have been suggested, are out of our reach...but Leeds got Biesla, so who knows?

Exactly, not had a club since January if I remember and no links to Prem or Champ teams so who knows.

Has the right fit for us, dutch 4-3-3 total football a-la 2014

1 hour ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Alex Neil for me

33 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Think we'll have to go for someone who can build on Lampard's style of play. Let's not have a repeat of past mistakes.

Jokanovic for me. Alex Neil is a good shout too. Wouldn't begrudge giving a lower league manager a shot either. 

Neil is a good shout, for the reasons above.  Preston made us look very average at Deepdale last season...

The 3 candidates I would look at if Lampard goes would be Nigel Adkins, Lee Bowyer and Alex Neil (in that order)

Really rate Adkins, his teams play good football & his positivity is infectious. Exactly the kind of character you want in charge of a team at the business end of a season. Did a superb job at both Scunthorpe & Southampton and has impressed at Hull this last 18 months under very difficult circumstances. I think him taking charge at Derby would be his biggest appointment to date (he took on Saints job whilst they were in League One) & he's available after refusing to sign a new contract with Hull.

Lee Bowyer is obviously a controversial choice given his past off-field activities but there again Jody Morris was no angel either - I think folk need to see past events from 15 years ago now. In terms of managerial experience, he's pretty much where Lampard is now but with a promotion on his CV and under harder circumstances - Charlton are a real basketcase of a club. Despite that, they play good football and his knowledge of lower divisions would give us a real advantage from a recruitment perspective. The obvious risk is the same as Lampard - he played at the top level, ergo success with us could see him being being coveted by Premiership clubs very quickly.

Alex Neil has had a very decent start to his managerial career - Hamilton & Norwich (mostly) being very successful stints. He's done a solid job at Preston and think he would do even better with more resources (that he'd get at Derby by comparison). His sides tend to play high intensity, good football so aligned with where Lampard has been trying to take the squad. He was on the verge of taking over at West Brom in April but wanted more control over recruitment. Significant downside with Neil is that he signed a new contract with Preston in April so would cost a lot to get him to Derby.

Archived