Bristol City vs Derby County

cannable

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawrence 100% onside. 

Bennett was offside. 

Red card unfortunate but the player gave the referee a decision to make by lunging in. 

Waghorn cleared one off the line and they cracked the woodwork. 

Johnson and Mount both missed one on ones. 

They had plenty of possession and shots (from outside the box) and played well without creating anything clear cut. Paterson always looked dangerous. 

Think it was testament to our (mix and match) defence that they were reduced to long attempts. Evans was brilliant for someone who’s natural position is not centre back. 

Bennett can feel hard done by if Wilson starts ahead of him next match. Was night and day the effect they both had on today’s game. 

One of the (few) downsides of living in this part of the world is the travelling back from the more southerly away days. You get to junction 25 driving north, blow a kiss westwards and two fingers east and then realise you have another 90 minutes before you get home. When the performance is lacking or unlucky it can feel longer than it is.

Not tonight it didn't. There are away days and then there are memorable away days and this was one of the best. Drama, good performances all round, loud and supportive fans, good goals, connection between manager, players and fans and, above all, the result. 

In truth we were under siege for much of the first hour but apart from Waghorn's clearance off the line and a bar the defence was largely in control. Kelle's handling assured, Keogh fantastic and Evans a revelation. Wherever that performance came from I hope he can bottle it. We will have a player there if he can. 

Good performances though ran throughout. The work Mason Mount got through was prodigious; the energy, commitment and skill Bogle showed in scoring his goal was superb (and Mason Bennett played a big part too); both the Toms contributed positively and L could/should have had two (and Brad another).

If the sending off altered the game then it only really did so for the last 15 minutes when we went 2 up. In the period immediately after the dismissal it was hard to know which side had 10 men. 

Over the last few years the desire and commitment - bottle - of our team has been questioned at times. Not today it wasn't. If I floated home from junction 25 tonight it was nothing to do with a rainy M1 and everything to do with a performance, match, result and day that will live long in the memory. Whether we get into the playoffs or not.

Just got back home now, the 6 hours of travel was brutal but it was definitely worth it.

Waghorn, just wow. What a magnificent effort from him, he fought for everything, won every single header, chased down everything, held the ball up brilliantly. I'm starting to even stop thinking about Chris Martin with how well he's playing. Can't really ask for anything more of him than what he gave today.

Mason Mount had to play often without the ball today, but he managed to put himself about and when the ball came to him it was noticeable the quality he showed on the ball, the work for the first goal that he did was wonderful.

Haven't read through the thread yet, but I hope George Evans is getting the credit he deserves. I was absolutely dreading it when I saw Tomori go down injured, but Evans did an admirable job as cover. He won a huge number of headers, and didn't look out of place. Hopefully this performance can help restart his Derby career.

Mason Bennett changed the game completely when he came on, his hard work and willingness to drive at the Bristol defence gave us a whole new threat. The assist for Bogle's goal was genius, and I felt sorry for him that his goal was ruled out, since he deserved it for how he performed. 

It wasn't an easy game, and it wasn't all that pretty, but my God was it gutsy. We left everything on the field, fought for everything and the players did all of us proud. Thanks, Derby.

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

C'mon. Completely different position and type of player.  Hughes has made the leap and shown he can hold his own in Prem. As has Jeff (to my general astonishment). Paul Williams did too back in the day as did Sturridge.  If Bogle makes the leap and holds his own we can start to compare a bit. Still hard with different positions. 

Bogle will easily make the leap IMO. He's not far off Prem quality now and is improving rapidly with every game played. He's also shown he has some character having had a torrid time of things early season. We'll be under pressure to sell him over the summer so I'm revising my minimum sale price to £15 mill. Otherwise let's keep the lad.

46 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What a match, don’t quite know how we managed it but we did! Absolutely huge that is, just gotta finish the job now! Well done to the heroics of the defence and particulary to Evans who did superbly after being thrown in the deep end in an unfamiliar role. Bagged him a lot but he was superb today. Delighted for bogle and bennett too for that last goal, well worked and Lawrence as well getting his first goal in a while. What an atmosphere too, despite my ridiculous nerves! Clinical creativity (tho not nessercerily finishing hey Jono and Mount?) won the day today I feel.

I swear you're schizophrenic! As for the bold bit - WTAF! ?

33 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Bennett can feel hard done by if Wilson starts ahead of him next match. Was night and day the effect they both had on today’s game. 

He might well do but I bet he won't show it. No sulking from this lad just 100% commitment to the cause. Love him to bits and can easily understand Frank's loyalty to him. It's very much reciprocated.

6 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I swear you're schizophrenic! As for the bold bit - WTAF! ?

He might well do but I bet he won't show it. No sulking from this lad just 100% commitment to the cause. Love him to bits and can easily understand Frank's loyalty to him. It's very much reciprocated.

Swear down my autocorrect is shocking, it corrected it to that! I mean my spelling is atrocious these days as I only deal in numbers but a little help from it wouldn’t go amiss!

5 hours ago, The Drog's Ballacks said:

Chelsea Fan here.

Really pleased for you lot - turned it round after a tough run of games.

Would absolutely love it if Frank brought you guys up.

How bad was the injury to Tomori do we know?

And how good have Tomori and Mount been this season? Mount is probably a better player than Ross Barkley tbh.

Tough to say... give us another year to judge ?

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Swear down my autocorrect is shocking, it corrected it to that! I mean my spelling is atrocious these days as I only deal in numbers but a little help from it wouldn’t go amiss!

Reckon you've been on the Dark Fruits with that @BurtonRam7 lad. Either that or your autocorrect has. ?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Just got back home now, the 6 hours of travel was brutal but it was definitely worth it.

Waghorn, just wow. What a magnificent effort from him, he fought for everything, won every single header, chased down everything, held the ball up brilliantly. I'm starting to even stop thinking about Chris Martin with how well he's playing. Can't really ask for anything more of him than what he gave today.

Mason Mount had to play often without the ball today, but he managed to put himself about and when the ball came to him it was noticeable the quality he showed on the ball, the work for the first goal that he did was wonderful.

Haven't read through the thread yet, but I hope George Evans is getting the credit he deserves. I was absolutely dreading it when I saw Tomori go down injured, but Evans did an admirable job as cover. He won a huge number of headers, and didn't look out of place. Hopefully this performance can help restart his Derby career.

Mason Bennett changed the game completely when he came on, his hard work and willingness to drive at the Bristol defence gave us a whole new threat. The assist for Bogle's goal was genius, and I felt sorry for him that his goal was ruled out, since he deserved it for how he performed. 

It wasn't an easy game, and it wasn't all that pretty, but my God was it gutsy. We left everything on the field, fought for everything and the players did all of us proud. Thanks, Derby.

That echoes my feelings

funniest thing I have seen for a while at a football game - Bennett comes on and the Bristol left Back gives Bennett a big shoulder barge - but he bounces off Bennett and falls on the floor - strong lad Bennett 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

I know very well how good Hughes was and is thanks. I also think Bogle is more productive at 18 than Hughes was. 

Appreciate the diagnosis though.

The Hughes of Mac 1 era ( his contribution in the play-offs still stands out for me)was probably better than the later Hughes, but he is currently able to make a good contribution to a far from struggling Premier league team. However good Bogle seems now there is no way you can guarantee he is going to reach the level Hughes is now. 

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just managed to find the highlights on that Quest thing. Great play from Mason for the 2nd and a glorious confident finish from Bogle. Great work lads!

That quest thing is shocking quality tho,it's like watching a rerun of world cup 66 on a Tele made by my uncle felix ,wrapped in my nans old cat jumper.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe momentum is the better choice of word.

Sometimes riding your luck and digging out a result can be the difference between 8th and 6th and 3rd and 2nd. We’ve needed to show a different side to our game for a while now, so it’s encouraging that we are showing some fight at last.

Haven’t we lost just once in 10 league games, correct me if I am wrong? Maybe we are not a team ‘in form’ per se, but contrast now with the mood after Villa, Forest or Blackburn away, and there is hope.

The season could have petered out very quickly after the Blackburn game, so credit where it’s due because we have dug in and scrapped for every point to ensure the season is still alive.

Well played boys!

It definitely is a better choice and you make good/valid points. I'd just rather be going in with momentum AND form like Villa.

Today was painful at times and we rarely looked like a good team. But, as we all know, anything can happen *if* we can get into the playoffs. So I'll take finishing 6th over looking like Holland circa 1976 at this stage and just missing out.

I am one of those who wrote us off in January. 

But wins like yesterday’s start to make you think it’s meant to be and it’s written in the stars, especially as we are on a collision course with the ‘mighty’ Leeds.

We looked dead and buried after Blackburn away and we were all questioning the hunger and desire of the players. 

Today was the acid test for us in that respect. How much did we want it? Were we hungry like coyotes? I don’t care about a polished performance at this point - just fight, battle, and win. It sounds like we saw that today in spades.

Absolutely delighted with the response from the players. This is all we want to see - some passion, some pride, some cojones.

Whatever happens, at least we can say the boys gave it everything.

Archived