Bristol City vs Derby County

cannable

3 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’ve got a law ball on Friday and an accommodation ball on Saturday. WBA will be tough to get for an early kick off but I still cannot bloody wait. I seriously think we can do it. I’m pissed but I don’t care.

Burton, is going to a law ball.

The other, is the accommodation ball

His mother, the dir...we'll leave it there

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

I used to work for Post Office Telephones (now British Telecom) and they had a training school just down the road from a pub like that. I wonder if it was the same place?

Depending on when you worked there it's quite possible you worked under my Granddad, as he was a head of department for the Post Office telephones in the late 80s before retirement (nothing like making someone feel old)

Was it the office on Feeder Road by any chance?

31 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Jayden Bogle is a better prospect than Will Hughes was. 

I love(d) Hughes but for me I’m not sure it’s even close

C'mon. Completely different position and type of player.  Hughes has made the leap and shown he can hold his own in Prem. As has Jeff (to my general astonishment). Paul Williams did too back in the day as did Sturridge.  If Bogle makes the leap and holds his own we can start to compare a bit. Still hard with different positions. 

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Enjoy your walk around the pool table.

No pool table here but I physically lost a pint. It genuinely vanished, no one where I was was holding it or had taken it by mistake.

Best part is I'm about 2 hours away from home and got a 6 o'clock start tomorrow.

Oh joys.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

No pool table here but I physically lost a pint. It genuinely vanished, no one where I was was holding it or had taken it by mistake.

Best part is I'm about 2 hours away from home and got a 6 o'clock start tomorrow.

Oh joys.

Best wishes. I'm retired, so the only decision I have to make tonight is which beer to open next, and the only decision tomorrow will be which pub to go to.

Just now, eddie said:

Best wishes. I'm retired, so the only decision I have to make tonight is which beer to open next, and the only decision tomorrow will be which pub to go to.

I was stupid enough to buy a ticket for Millwall away, and where most places pay last Friday of the month, I get paid first Friday, so I'm rationing food for a week.

But as I work most Friday and Saturday evenings I'm overdue a night out.

Before Good Friday I had 3 weeks where I worked every day including Saturday and Sunday despite being ill for most of it.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Thanks for your contributions @JamesBCFC, it's really good of you to take the time to contribute sensibly to an opponent's forum, and I wish you and your team all the best next season.

I'm not sure I can ever be called sensible, and I will always be honest in my thoughts even if it might be unpopular with you guys.

But at the same time, as a fan of a club that isn't Derby I am a guest on the forum so will be respectful in how I say things, or at least try to be.

Edit- I actually forgot that I had signed up to here about 3 years ago, so after tonight my next post might not be until 2022

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Depending on when you worked there it's quite possible you worked under my Granddad, as he was a head of department for the Post Office telephones in the late 80s before retirement (nothing like making someone feel old)

Was it the office on Feeder Road by any chance?

No, I was in the Derby and Nottingham area. I know of the training school because BT didn't have any accommodation at the Bristol training School, so we were put into digs, which proved very lucrative - we were paid an allowance every night we were away from home, but the digs only cost one night's allowance for the whole week! I always wanted a course there, for obvious reasons (greed!), but got sent to Stone where they had accommodation, and therefore no cash cow!

What a brilliant result today. 4 points maybe only 3 needed. The players WANT to be promoted. All things are possible. We'll done to the whole team and Frank. Let us go and beat Swansea now. Swansea know that they are not going to get promoted now. CIYR

4 hours ago, eddie said:

He's a fruit juice swigging student.

Now I remember proper cider in Bristol at the 3 Lamps Tavern in Totterdown back in 1985. My first day working at Imperial, and I went to the bar just down from my digs on Wells Road in the evening. My usual request for the first night in a new pub of "I'll have a pint of what the locals drink" was met by the landlord with "Oh, you want a pint o' that there zgrump".

"Ah, cider - women's drink" I replied.

4 pints later, the landlord told me that I walked around the pool table twice before I made it to the bog.

I stick to Belgian beer nowadays.

There is a story of a place near the Suspension drink that has/had its own local brew.

Someone who went and was a fairly heavy drinker there apparently had 2 pints and blacked out.

Personally I rarely drink, but because of things like social anxiety causing adrenaline to be released I need 2-3 pints to get to the point of normal people when they are sober.

Then when the adrenaline wears off and I'm more relaxed all the alcohol hits me all at once. So I go from completely sober despite a few drinks, to no memory of the night at all in the blink of an eye.

On one hand it means I always have bloody weird things happen which is entertaining, on the other hand I've blown £300 on drinks for one night in the past.

**Suspension bridge, drink definitely not on my mind.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Love this. 

Local lad, been at the club before he even had pubic hair. You know he wants this just as much as we do.

Hrs always had pubic hair.....

......just it's all been on his head?

Only kidding - loved Mason when I saw him cross for Jamie ward at Bournemouth in 2013. Feels like he's been an up and coming youngster for ages....

5 minutes ago, David said:

Love this. 

Local lad, been at the club before he even had pubic hair. You know he wants this just as much as we do.

I think he had pubic hair when he was about 8

He is doing brilliantly when he comes on. 

What a match, don’t quite know how we managed it but we did! Absolutely huge that is, just gotta finish the job now! Well done to the heroics of the defence and particulary to Evans who did superbly after being thrown in the deep end in an unfamiliar role. Bagged him a lot but he was superb today. Delighted for bogle and bennett too for that last goal, well worked and Lawrence as well getting his first goal in a while. What an atmosphere too, despite my ridiculous nerves! Clinical creativity (tho not nessercerily finishing hey Jono and Mount?) won the day today I feel.

14 minutes ago, David said:

been at the club before he even had pubic hair

That's his actual beard, it just looks like pubes. He's only a young lad you massive bully.

Reported.

I listened to the game today and I’m not buying it was a crap performance we got lucky and a better team would’ve punished us!! It was a tactical masterclass from Lampard and despite Bristol having most of the game we created the better chances even before they went down to 10 men.

I really wasn’t sure about the team. We’ve been overrun by Bristol before with Huddlestone and Johnson, neither have the legs to be able to play our aggressive high energy pressing game and take control of midfield against a high energy passing team. But I got it wrong.

It seems to me Lampard has seen how Bristol have struggled at home against teams who sit in and counter and thought that was the way to go. We effectively surrendered the midfield (and therefore all possession and control) hit them on the counter and picked our moments to press. Despite the pressure Bristol created few clear cut chances whereas we missed two 1 on 1s, had 2 goals disallowed and had other moments with Mount where he was an inch away from connecting and probably scoring.

As has been said, it was a performance very much in the Gary Rowett mould and it was exactly the way to beat Bristol today. Maybe this is the plan B we’ve been looking for, I didn’t think we could still play that way. You have to have different ways to win football matches and if we’d gone this way against some of the physical teams away from home, we might have picked up some more results. I don’t mind it as an alternative tactic, the issue with Rowett is this was our plan A and we had no other way to play which made us crudely exposed against the really good teams.

No doubt in my mind that Derby thoroughly deserved the win today. A third or a fourth would’ve definitely flattered us, 2-0 arguably flattered us but we deserved the win.

Huge shout out to George Evans, what a performance given the circumstances. Maybe he is a centre half we’ve been looking for. Tom Lawrence excellent also and everyone else played their part. Keogh was Keogh as steady as ever Hudds and Johnson did their jobs screening the back 4. Well done Derby and it puts us in the box seat now. Need to make it count!

Archived