The Politics Thread 2019

Day

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As engaged as I've become in politics over the last 3 years, I could not bring myself to watch it tonight.

Predictable car crash tv I bet.

Did anything new or interesting even get mentioned?

I didn't see it. I was imagining Johnson quoting random Greek or Latin and Corbyn looking a bit befuddled like your grandad. 

I'll study the manifestos 

Nothing made of the conservative u turn on reducing corporation tax? I'm sure there are some posts about 150 pages back arguing passionately that ot was a vital policy to retain businesses in the UK. Omg......now what are we going to do........?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

To be honest am I the only one who’s more confused by the Conservative brexit plans rather than labour’s? isnt it essentially put enough MPs into parliament to push his preliminary brexit deal over the line...then what? 

Agree, though that isn't a Tory issue but more one of anyone who gets any form of deal done. The fun starts when the ink dries.

I thought Corbyn lost (rather than Johnson won) the first half but he won the second half. It reminded me that this is when he is best, this is how he came from nowhere to win the leadership in the first place. I heard the laughs and cackles of Johnson when he offered his copy of the deal as Corbyn's Christmas present. And, just for one minute, I believed. 

Then I heard the cheers at the end and realised that we're heading for - at best - hung parliament, which actually means at worst. Corbyn has genuine desire to make the country a better place - you simply cannot deny that - but his ways of doing it are flawed.

Personal interest will win through in the next few weeks. Human beings are horrible.....

There is only one serious outcome. People don't want a Labour SNP deal of any sorts. Labour also can't form a majority government. Even if they could, we'd be left where we are now. His own MP's would vote against him.  This is why the people's vote campaign group is dissolving. Various factions are preparing to take the reigns at Labour HQ. 

51 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

People don't want a Labour SNP deal of any sorts. 

Is that the actual Labour SNP deal or the one that has been put up by the right wing social media crews? Same as the anti-semiticism argument - create something that isn't there and then deride it.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Agree, though that isn't a Tory issue but more one of anyone who gets any form of deal done. The fun starts when the ink dries.

I thought Corbyn lost (rather than Johnson won) the first half but he won the second half. It reminded me that this is when he is best, this is how he came from nowhere to win the leadership in the first place. I heard the laughs and cackles of Johnson when he offered his copy of the deal as Corbyn's Christmas present. And, just for one minute, I believed. 

Then I heard the cheers at the end and realised that we're heading for - at best - hung parliament, which actually means at worst. Corbyn has genuine desire to make the country a better place - you simply cannot deny that - but his ways of doing it are flawed.

Personal interest will win through in the next few weeks. Human beings are horrible.....

Corbyn said his gift to Johnson would be a copy of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. Not sure who would be reading the biggest work of fiction on Christmas Day.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Which people? 

Id be OK with it. 

You'll be getting a Labour/Lib Dem coalition if your not careful.  Saw a bit of Swinson on ITV just, first stage try to create an hung parliament with this revoking nonsense, which they would change tack on in a heartbeat if offered any coalition before the event. Then hang around Corbyn's ******** like a fly on a particularly tasty turd or the Lib Dem manifesto as it's better known .  Perhaps sniffing Sturgeons posterior while there at it.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Which people? 

Id be OK with it. 

Not sure why Surgeon is such a hate figure for those on the right. She always comes across well in interviews and seems to have conviction in her beliefs.

I wouldn't want Scottish independence as like Britain and want it to stay together, but can't blame the Scots to want to be away from been ruled by Old Etonians.

I think a Labour/Lib Dem/SNP/Green/Welsh/NI coalition would work well. Would be great to see them all in power with the clueless Johnson looking around at the opposition benches and wondering where all the competent Tories had disappeared too.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Nothing made of the conservative u turn on reducing corporation tax?

Did find it odd that earlier on the same morning as Johnson was announcing the u-turn on corporation tax. Andrea Leadsom was on Radio 4 banging on about how the conservatives are reducing the taxes paid by small and large businesses. As the Secretary of state for Business you'd think she would have been made aware of a reversal of policy that involved business. Or is Johnson at the behest of Dominic Cummings, announcing policies without first telling the rest of his party.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Is that the actual Labour SNP deal or the one that has been put up by the right wing social media crews? Same as the anti-semiticism argument - create something that isn't there and then deride it.

I picked The Guardian on purpose;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/14/concerns-about-antisemitism-mean-we-cannot-vote-labour

On 05/06/2019 at 09:58, McRamFan said:

Labour's, under Blair, however Blair was a soft version of Thatcher, and carried on with some of her polices and practices, such as the decimation of manufacturing and illegal wars. 

Go read the first article you posted, in full.  Then you will see that PFI was a throw of the dice because Thatcher had shafted the country that hard, there was little or no other options.  Those that objected to PFI, had no alternative.  It was either go PFI and be screwed at 90%, or do nothing and remain screwed at 99.99%.

Even the right wing telegraph cannot completely attribute it all to Labour.

What illegal war was Thatcher involved in?

20 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Waits for him to tell you to use a search engine.. ?

Ok. I'd better "google"it then....

...done it but I'm struggling. If only there were other search engines available that would give me the right answer.

Hopefully he'll put one of his famous links up

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Which people? 

Id be OK with it. 

A Scotland only party holding power over the UK Government when over 90% of the UK population can't vote for them?. Presenting a UK budget, of which a large proportion is irrelevant to them?.

No thanks.

8 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

A Scotland only party holding power over the UK Government when over 90% of the UK population can't vote for them?. Presenting a UK budget, of which a large proportion is irrelevant to them?.

No thanks.

How do you feel about a Northern Irish only party holding power over the UK Government when over 90% of the UK population can't vote for them?. Presenting a UK budget, of which a large proportion is irrelevant to them?

Archived