The Politics Thread 2019

Day

14 minutes ago, bcnram said:

If that is the case, it says a lot about how poorly Corbyn and his team are viewed if they are not leading the polls at the moment

But it doesn't though - that's the point. It says something about modern society.

Whatever anyone's criticisms of Corbyn are - is it really THAT bad that we we'd prefer a serial liar, misogynist, hompophobe, islamaphobe, demagogue and complete bamford who says nothing of substance and takes no responsibility for his words or actions?

I blame reality TV

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, maxjam said:

As I previously stated, no more or less than other parties. Still needs sorting out this is not a Labour party issue. I do believe, strongly, in Labour's case it is fueled based on Corbyn historic pro-Palestine support, which is not an anti Semitic position despite what many might want you to think

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-candidate-suspended-amjad-bashir-antisemitism-leeds-election-a9210591.html

40 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

We're in very dangerous times. Donald Trump said "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters"

Boris has been caught lying again and again, he's made slurs against particular religions, slurs against people's sexuality, he's broken promise after promise, he's concealed conflicts of interest over his affairs, he's had the police called on him for domestic abuse - yet he's still somehow the PM and looking like he might even win a majority

What the hell is wrong with us that this has become the acceptable way for world leaders to behave?

But don't you advocate trying something different and going for real change?.

We've done the boring "voting for people who are supposed to be honest and trustworthy" thing for decades/centuries and look where that has got us.

Have some imagination & strap yourself in, man. What's the worst that can happen?

15 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

But it doesn't though - that's the point. It says something about modern society.

Whatever anyone's criticisms of Johnson are - is it really THAT bad that we we'd prefer a serial liar, terrorist sympathiser,  anti semite, demagogue and complete bamford who says nothing of substance and takes no responsibility for his words or actions?

I blame reality TV

FIFY  Goose and Gander 

7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

But don't you advocate trying something different and going for real change?.

We've done the boring "voting for people who are supposed to be honest and trustworthy" thing for decades/centuries and look where that has got us.

Have some imagination & strap yourself in, man. What's the worst that can happen?

I think I said it before in the old Brexit thread - I can 100% see us ending up with some celebrity or comedian as PM eventually. Isn't that what Ukraine just did?

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

FIFY

Yeah but you actually just further underlined the point. If "terrorist sympathiser" and "anti-semite" are the best things you can come up with about why Corbyn is worse than Johnson - apart from the fact that neither of these things are actually true in any real sense - just slurs extrapolated from twisted media stories. The point is that all the stuff pinned on Johnson is proveable fact and he doesn't care, just double's down or laughs it off. Never mind Corbyn whataboutery - this is on us as a society. Why have we lost our minds like this?

Can we stop political parties using the word promise? Nothing in a manifesto is a promise, it is a proposal for an idea that the party stands for.

Lib Dems promise £50bn remain bonus. How on earth do they plan to get that through parliament? It's not a promise is it?

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yeah but you actually just further underlined the point. If "terrorist sympathiser" and "anti-semite" are the best things you can come up with about why Corbyn is worse than Johnson - apart from the fact that neither of these things are actually true in any real sense - just slurs extrapolated from twisted media stories. The point is that all the stuff pinned on Johnson is proveable fact and he doesn't care, just double's down or laughs it off. Never mind Corbyn whataboutery - this is on us as a society. Why have we lost our minds like this?

All the criticisms of my candidate are slurs and media exaggerations. All the criticisms of the opposition candidate are provable facts.

Most people haven't lost their minds. They just don't agree with you and you can't handle it.

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Not sure 'whataboutery' is relevant when talking about Corbyns faults. 

30 minutes ago, Anon said:

All the criticisms of my candidate are slurs and media exaggerations. All the criticisms of the opposition candidate are provable facts.

Most people haven't lost their minds. They just don't agree with you and you can't handle it.

Thanks for your input, but pay attention - I'm not talking about criticisms. I understand how slurs work. I'm talking about proveable facts

It is a proveable fact that the police were called to Johnson's flat to a domestic violence incident

It is a proveable fact that he was sacked from his job at the Times for fabricating quotes

It is a proveable fact that he got the job as editor of the Spectator in 1999 after promising to give up his political career and then standing as the candidate for Henley less than 2 years later

It is a proveable fact that he wrote an article in the Spectator blaming drunk Liverpool fans for Hillsborough

It is a proveable fact that he was sacked from his Cabinet positions after saying the rumours of his extra-marital affair were lies. Which then turned out to be true

It is a proveable fact that he was found by the Supreme Court to have misled the Queen over the prorogation of parliament

The point is that the list could go on and on and still people would vote for him

So tell me again why we haven't lost our collective minds?

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Thanks for your input, but pay attention - I'm not talking about criticisms. I understand how slurs work. I'm talking about proveable facts

It is a proveable fact that the police were called to Johnson's flat to a domestic violence incident

It is a proveable fact that he was sacked from his job at the Times for fabricating quotes

It is a proveable fact that he got the job as editor of the Spectator in 1999 after promising to give up his political career and then standing as the candidate for Henley less than 2 years later

It is a proveable fact that he wrote an article in the Spectator blaming drunk Liverpool fans for Hillsborough

It is a proveable fact that he was sacked from his Cabinet positions after saying the rumours of his extra-marital affair were lies. Which then turned out to be true

It is a proveable fact that he was found by the Supreme Court to have misled the Queen over the prorogation of parliament

The point is that the list could go on and on and still people would vote for him

So tell me again why we haven't lost our collective minds?

My previous reply was flippant but I'm serious about the point behind it. The "old fashioned" political establishment has let people down. Populist politicians are gaining popularity all over the world.

Archived