The Politics Thread 2019

Day

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

How do you feel about a Northern Irish only party holding power over the UK Government when over 90% of the UK population can't vote for them?. Presenting a UK budget, of which a large proportion is irrelevant to them?

Not crazy about it, though it's slightly different in that the DUP are effectively the Northern Irish Tories (of 300 years ago) and would vote with them on most things anyway.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I didn't watch the debate last night and the main talking point this morning appears to be both leaders being laughed at by the audience.

How low politics has fallen in this country.....

Yep. Following all the deals and alliances my choice has been reduced to red, blue or yellow. 

Or as I expressed it to Mrs VdM as we filed our polling cards carefully, "our choice seems to be either a big pair of tits, or one of a big pair of tits".......?

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Waits for him to tell you to use a search engine.. ?

Don't use any old search engine, use a "fact checker" like the Tories did last night.

Express.co.uk: Election 2019 LIVE: Tory HQ forced to backtrack after mocking Corbyn on Twitter.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1206230/general-election-news-2019-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-manifesto-latest-Boris-Johnson-Tory-Party

I only watched a bit of it but had to turn off as it was too depressing. In a nutshell

Johnson waffling nonsense, avoiding  questions and dragging everything back to Brexit, but doing so in his cheeky tousle-haired buffoon persona that some people seem to inexplicably like

Corbyn talking absolute sense but with zero charisma and wonky glasses that just make him an even bigger target for the ad hominem brigade

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I only watched a bit of it but had to turn off as it was too depressing. In a nutshell

Johnson waffling nonsense, avoiding  questions and dragging everything back to Brexit, but doing so in his cheeky tousle-haired buffoon persona that some people seem to inexplicably like

Corbyn talking absolute sense but with zero charisma and wonky glasses that just make him an even bigger target for the ad hominem brigade

Nah, they were as bad each each other. 

These events are not any help at all. The parties come with their own agenda understandably. The only thing the leaders have to worry about is don't make a massive rooster-up. I felt that Corbyn evaded answering a little more and Johnson needs  to stop overdoing the talking over the fairly inept presenter.

Watched a few clips of the debate now and I dunno why Jo Swinson was moaning so much about not being invited - just give those two muppets center stage and let them get on with making themselves look like numpties.  Appearing on the debate did nothing for either, she's better off keeping a low profile and chasing disillusioned voters as the election nears.

It really is like being on death row and being given the choice of firing squad, electric chair or guillotine.

12 hours ago, Uptherams said:

There is only one serious outcome. People don't want a Labour SNP deal of any sorts. Labour also can't form a majority government. Even if they could, we'd be left where we are now. His own MP's would vote against him.  This is why the people's vote campaign group is dissolving. Various factions are preparing to take the reigns at Labour HQ. 

Why can't Labour win enough seats to form a majority government   ? Is this election rigged ? Have you been using fact check uk ?

BTW A Labour majority = no need for an SNP deal.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I can happy confirm that is actually a trendy omnidirectional comb over

Lots of websites have done fact checks on last nights debate. Neither Corbyn or Johnson got any points accurate. How have we come to choose between these pair of muppets in charge of running the country? Rather have Statler and Waldorf having a debate.

50 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I have a question related not only to the TV debate but to our politics in general.

If not answering the question is something that pisses so many people off, why do politicians do it? 

It must be effective, mustn't it?

Because every question is now set up to be a trap. Say one wrong word and you are slaughtered for it at a later date. This is why they stick to sound bites and it is very frustrating but understandable on their part. 

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Because every question is now set up to be a trap. Say one wrong word and you are slaughtered for it at a later date. This is why they stick to sound bites and it is very frustrating but understandable on their part. 

Happens in business too. Make sure you cannot be held to account for anything at all.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Exactly that. Media organisations are just after their next salacious "Breaking News" banner & clickbait.

26 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Happens in business too. Make sure you cannot be held to account for anything at all.

We're in very dangerous times. Donald Trump said "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters"

Boris has been caught lying again and again, he's made slurs against particular religions, slurs against people's sexuality, he's broken promise after promise, he's concealed conflicts of interest over his affairs, he's had the police called on him for domestic abuse - yet he's still somehow the PM and looking like he might even win a majority

What the hell is wrong with us that this has become the acceptable way for world leaders to behave?

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

We're in very dangerous times. Donald Trump said "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters"

Boris has been caught lying again and again, he's made slurs against particular religions, slurs against people's sexuality, he's broken promise after promise, he's concealed conflicts of interest over his affairs, he's had the police called on him for domestic abuse - yet he's still somehow the PM and looking like he might even win a majority

What the hell is wrong with us that this has become the acceptable way for world leaders to behave?

Just a normal bloke then ?

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

If that is the case, it says a lot about how poorly Corbyn and his team are viewed if they are not leading the polls at the moment (yes I know that the only poll that matters is on 12/12).

6 minutes ago, bcnram said:

If that is the case, it says a lot about how poorly Corbyn and his team are viewed if they are not leading the polls at the moment (yes I know that the only poll that matters is on 12/12).

The Labour Party will be kicking themselves. Their best opportunity to get into No 10 and they offer the people Corbyn. Dunno when the penny will drop with these people but he is not electable, regardless of the supposed smear campaigns. They should have thrown in the Mayor of Manchester, I have seen him a few times and comes across very well. At least someone who I would have time to listen to. 

9 minutes ago, bcnram said:

something something right wing media something something

Archived