The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The political system needs a complete overhaul. The more people who lose faith in it, the better

So you want riots like in Spain, France, HongKong? The people rejected proportional representation so what do you propose, a dictatorship? Military takeover?

1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

So you want riots like in Spain, France, HongKong? The people rejected proportional representation so what do you propose, a dictatorship? Military takeover?

People didn't reject proportional representation. They rejected a particular version of it. 

Nothing wrong with protest in the streets. In Hong Kong, for example, the problems are being caused by the authorities response to it. A government that shoots its own people with impunity has no legitimacy.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which politician is going to bring the people back together and heal the divisions, and how?

Has there ever been one?

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

so you're agreeing that it's also right for half the population to feel cheated by/angry about the result of the first referendum too?

Any situation that leaves half the country feeling that way is a horrendous place to be as a nation.

Either way it's critical we have leadership that wants to heal that division and bring people back together. Sorry to say that ain't Boris. He will just make it worse

We get that all the time with general elections, i doubt in my lifetime the number voting for the new government would have been over 45%

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont recall one in my lifetime (I'm 40 years old).

That's why I find it pointless when people go on about re-uniting the country or healing the divides.

Just wont happen.

The problem is, and evidenced by many posts on here, that people have strong views and find it incredulous that others could possibly think differently, even to the point that insults and accusations start getting thrown.

Nothing wrong with strong views aslong as there is an acceptance that those views are individual and cannot be forced on any one else.

No arguments have been won in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Jo Swinson and her mighty norks were in our local hospital today (Southampton). It does appear that politicians are popping up in all sorts of unexpected places.

Southampton is red/blue. The surrounding districts have recently been libdem (romsey, eastleigh and Winchester) but she didn't go there.

All very puzzling.

Maybe she was just keeping a breast of matters.

1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

That stupid bint kept cutting Johnson off.

He was on the Oxford Union debating society, I'm sure he didn't take it personally.

Maybe he should make his answers short and to the point, rather than launching into a 'Get Brexit done' rant regardless of whether or not it was relevant to the question?

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As engaged as I've become in politics over the last 3 years, I could not bring myself to watch it tonight.

Predictable car crash tv I bet.

Did anything new or interesting even get mentioned?

Nope, learned nothing new, wasn't a car crash but didn't learn anything we didn't already know. 

Johnson stuck to Brexit as much as possible, Corbyn sidestepped and was evasive about every Brexit question. 

*Disclaimer - didn't watch it myself, my wife passed that on!

13 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

To be honest am I the only one who’s more confused by the Conservative brexit plans rather than labour’s? isnt it essentially put enough MPs into parliament to push his preliminary brexit deal over the line...then what? 

Conservatives just hope that everyone forgets about the second half of the negotiations once the passports turn blue and theres duty free cigarettes again. General public don't really care about trade deals. 

Archived