Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

22 minutes ago, Harry B said:

Hi everybody, Chelsea fan here. Looks like Lampard's coming. Not here to gloat, firstly because I'm old enough to remember a time when we used to lose our prized assets, in fact we've just lost Hazard so it's still happening. Secondly, we have no idea if Lampard will turn out to be a good manager or not, it's far too early to tell. History is littered with managers who achieved far more than Frank did in his first season only to turn out to be complete duds. The name Roy Keane springs to mind, but there are countless others.

When I was watching the play off final I was of course rooting for Derby, like every other Chelsea fan, but knowing that Sarri was going, I did wonder if we'd have a better chance to lure Frank if Derby lost, strange as that may sound. I felt a second season in the Championship might be far harder than his first, without the loanees that did so well for you and without that first season "bounce" managers often benefit from. It's just far harder to command a group of players as time goes on and that's when we see if someone has what it takes.

That said, he's the man I want and I dare say most Chelsea fans agree. It might seem a strange appointment from the outside, due to his inexperience and the expectation levels and the pressure and scrutiny that comes with Chelsea but in the present context he's the man we want. He'll bring the feel-good factor back, and it's much needed. The atmosphere at games has been awful and there is a real disconnect between the fans and the team and the fans and the club in general. There's just something missing and it hasn't been helped by the number of managers passing through. Frank and Jody will bring a bit of buzz back and that's what's been sadly lacking. I know most of you won't care about our problems but I'm just explaining to those who wonder why we want Frank what our reasons are. The thought of Allegri or yet another big name manager just leaves a lot of us cold, despite their undoubted pedigree.

Will Frank make the grade? Well, it's a good time to come in my opinion because expectation levels will be tempered by the transfer ban and the fact Hazard has gone, plus the fact he'll buy himself time if he plays the kids, another reason why the idea of Frank appeals, because the fans just want to see a few kids break through. My hunch is that Frank will make a good manager. There's just something about him that makes me think that but maybe that's just wishful thinking. He's bright, he's level-headed, he's tough, he's determined etc etc. 

I watched your semi-final against Leeds and it was the best game I saw all season, the game at Elland Road. The Leeds fans were singing their songs when they went 2-0 up on aggregate and Lampard gave a wry smile. I just thought, "Watch this space". Derby were amazing that game, although I think he overdid it with the celebrations afterwards. I understood  the euphoria, the result, the performance, the rivalry etc, but while the fans and players can go mental, nothing had been achieved yet and I felt he needed to keep it down a little bit. That was just my thought at the time. He may have learned from that. Sometimes as manager you need to keep a lid on things.

His mates (Rio etc) and his uncle and cousin have been trying to tout him for the job, but whether that means he's coming I don't know. The fans expect it and I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen. It will make everyone very happy round here but there'll be reservations as well. It's a big job. As soon as he loses a couple of games the press will be right on top of him, especially given our history of sacking managers. He'll have to handle that kind of pressure but I think he can. He'll have the backing of the fans all day long. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses, given what you saw last season, if you can be bothered.

Anyway good luck to you lot and maybe see you in the PL (or the Championship!!!) sometime soon.

Frank's main problem is not being able to understand how limited our players are. He's never had to contend with quite good players, rather than brilliant ones. Personally, I reckon he's far better suited to manage an elite club, rather than 2nd tier one. I don't really see what more he's going to learn staying with us.

At Chelsea he's not got to worry about Richard Keogh ball watching when defending corners. There's no problem with Tom Huddlestone being the slowest player on the pitch (unless Chris Martin comes back). He doesn't have to worry about whether to choose a striker who can't hold the ball up, but finishes brillianty, or one that's not as good at converting chances, but much better at bringing other players into the game. It's not that our players are bad, they're just Championship players so have limitations. 

I think that Lampard will find it far easier managing Chelsea than Derby, because he knows exactly what brilliant players can do, but sometimes lacks the knowledge to get the best from limited players.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Harry B said:

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses, given what you saw last season, if you can be bothered.

Strengths:

• Willing to give youngsters a chance -  Bogle has gone from making a few u23 appearances here and there to a £15 million player within 1 season because Frank gave him the chance. Bennett has been here for years and never really got a chance through injuries and managers not putting faith in him, but Frank did and he's produced plenty of big moments to win us points this season. 
  • Improving the atmosphere around the club - It's the best it's been in my lifetime and a lot of the players have commented on just how fun this season has been at the club. 
  • Good signings for the most part - The loans were brilliant but that won't make much difference for Chelsea because you won't be in a position like us. His permanent signings have been good, Marriott, Holmes, Malone, Waghorn etc. Jozefzoon and Evans are the only 2 which haven't been that great, but the latter spent half the season out injured so it's a bit too soon to judge him.
  • Goals from all over the pitch - in recent seasons we've been reliant on 1 or 2 players to score all the goals. This season we had 5 or 6 players contributing in double figures through goals and assists.  Wilson scored 20 odd, we had 2 strikers, Marriott and Waghorn chip in with 13 each, 11 from Mount and Bogle got more assists than any other EFL full back.
  • Improving players - Roos has had the best season of his career, Bogle started the season sloppily but now is a key player for us, Keogh has always been consistent but this season has been 1 of his best in terms of performances, Tomori struggled with Brighton and Hull but after a season under Frank won our player of the year award, Johnson went from overpaid hard-man to an important part of our system and Bennett has finally had his breakout season thanks to a bit of faith from Frank.

Weaknesses:

• Team selection - it seemed every weekend there would be frustrations with his team choices. There will be people on here who take the moral high ground and say, 'I trust Frank's decisions,' etc. but I guarantee 99% of them were annoyed when they see Nugent has once again been chosen over Marriott.
  • What he wants from a striker - following on from the previous point, it's clear Frank would take a striker who works really hard over a striker who works a little bit less but scores goals. And when we had Mount out and were struggling to score, that can become quite an issue. I'm sure you saw in the final against Villa he opted for Bennett who would work tirelessly, over an in-form Marriott. Sure it helped us press the Villa defence a little more, but we had nobody to provide chances for until Marriott was brought on. 
  • He likes having his mates around - he had Jody Morris, Chris Jones and Steve Rands come with him who are his mates and Given through the advice of his mates. At 1 point it looked like Terry was coming here and later in the season we signed another mate of his, Cole. Now, this probably helped keep the spirit high around the place, but I do wonder if there was ever times those staff members wouldn't disagree with his decisions because of being his mate. And it sounds like Drogba could be joining him at Chelsea .... Lampard, Drogba, Morris, Jones and Cech is quite an inexperienced team (minues Jones) for a club that demands success almost immediately.

26 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Hmm I only put a very small dash of milk in, I might give this no milk tea a whirl....

The key question is does the milk come directly out of the fridge before being added to the tea or has it been allowed to reach room temperature first?  And don't get me started on the milk before BOILING water malarkey.  Heresy to put milk in before the tea is poured from loose tea brewing in a pot!

9 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I remember Derby did one of these about a year or so ago and it was so badly received and never done again!

Ha, I remember that, sparked a mini Twitter riot. Seen a few clubs do it, think Villa is one. Not sure why clubs would peddle rumours when they know exactly what’s going on. Far better ways to drive traffic to the club website than this.

4 minutes ago, RedSox said:

The key question is does the milk come directly out of the fridge before being added to the tea or has it been allowed to reach room temperature first?  And don't get me started on the milk before BOILING water malarkey.  Heresy to put milk in before the tea is poured from loose tea brewing in a pot!

Hah my mum always had some milk in a little jug to go to room temperature. My missus won’t have milk left out of the fridge, she thinks it’s going to turn instantly to yoghurt or something ?‍♂️ So it’s straight from the fridge at home.

3 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

Talksport just shared how they think Chelsea will line up first game of the season under Frank on Facebook.

The media showing us the upmost respect during this!!!! 

Does Derby County even exist?

No! we are just a small provincial club and should know our place as a stepping stone to the promise land. 

4 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

Talksport just shared how they think Chelsea will line up first game of the season under Frank on Facebook.

The media showing us the upmost respect during this!!!! 

Does Derby County even exist?

To be fair, it says "How Chelsea could line up under Frank Lampard next season"  not 'will'....

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Probably a good time to point out to you that Frank's "first season bounce" included:

1.  finishing with less points than we did the previous season under Rowett
  2.  finishing with a vastly inferior goal difference than we did the previous season under Rowett
  3.  lost more games than we did the previous season under Rowett
  4.  scored fewer goals than we did the previous season under Rowett
  5.  conceded more goals than we did the previous season under Rowett

Gary Rowett IS still available as a manager I believe. Do you want his number? Please - I insist

Every manager since Nigel Clough, except for Pearson, has had a better win percentage than Lampard. Rowett, Clement and hell even Pearson would all be good choices for managers to any of our Chelsea friends watching. If you like fast, attacking football and a manager who gives youth a chance these 3 managers have probably watched games at some point in their life that have all these attributes.

star wars awww GIF by Hyper RPG

23 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Probably a good time to point out to you that Frank's "first season bounce" included:

1.  finishing with less points than we did the previous season under Rowett
  2.  finishing with a vastly inferior goal difference than we did the previous season under Rowett
  3.  lost more games than we did the previous season under Rowett
  4.  scored fewer goals than we did the previous season under Rowett
  5.  conceded more goals than we did the previous season under Rowett

Gary Rowett IS still available as a manager I believe. Do you want his number? Please - I insist

Are all of those true? Because that's quite something.

This season has been vastly more enjoyable than the time under Rowett and the football has been a lot better to watch - does anyone disagree with that? I'm struggling to get to grips with the fact the statistics are telling me one thing yet what I've seen on the pitch each week is telling me something else...

29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Am I the only one who just looks and if the thread has advanced less than ten pages thinks to himself "nothing new happening then.

What? Those were some of the most thought provoking exchanges seen on here - ever! People baring their souls for what they truly believed in. Have some respect sir....

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are all of those true? Because that's quite something.

This season has been vastly more enjoyable than the time under Rowett and the football has been a lot better to watch - does anyone disagree with that? I'm struggling to get to grips with the fact the statistics are telling me one thing yet what I've seen on the pitch each week is telling me something else...

Well at least we tried to win all our cup games ( apart from Brighton away) 

Archived