Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

6 minutes ago, Harry B said:

There's just something missing and it hasn't been helped by the number of managers passing through. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses, given what you saw last season, if you can be bothered.

We've had seven manager changes since 2013. We make your manager turnover look amateur in comparison. We always joke about Chelsea managers not having much of a future at the club, but we get at least one new manager per season here and havent had the same manager in charge for 2 consecutive summer transfer windows since Nigel Clough was here.

As for Frank he can be tactically naive sometimes (why he started the playoff final without a striker I will never know) and didn't seem to have many ideas when it came to beating teams that were more physical and liked to sit back against us. He is a good motivator though, team morale was excellent, every player seemed to improve under him and he gave the team a never give up attitude. I think his style of play would be better suited to the Prem than the Championship where things are a bit more open. He built a good relationship with the fans, which not every manager in recent times has managed to do - would probably be even better at Chelsea with his history. You can't steal the bounce though - we stole it first fair and square. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I can be utterly conclusive on this.

Chocolate: Better at room temperature, flavours are released more easily and part of the enjoyment of the 'mouthfeel' (yes, it is a technical term) of chocolate is the fact that it melts at body temperature. The sooner you get to that the better.

Crisps: Like bread, you should not keep these in the fridge. The colder temperature dessicates the crisp.

Tea: The right amount of milk is actually no milk.

Thank me later.

Nope, don't agree.

Nothing better than getting a yorkie out of the fridge and almost breaking your teeth trying to eat it.

Crisps are better at room temperature

If the right amount of milk is no milk, then it is not an amount. 

Sith Happens
50 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Interesting. What's a firm whisper though? ? 

One thats been kept in the fridge. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

One thats been kept in the fridge. 

You're very late to that party. Hopefully someone doesn't restart the entire cycle of discussion ? 

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

But at normal room temperature  you don't get that extremely satisfying crack when you take a bite...

Would It be sitting on the fence to say that the first bite is better out the fridge but chewing is more satisfying if it was room temperature?

21 minutes ago, Harry B said:

Hi everybody, Chelsea fan here. Looks like Lampard's coming. Not here to gloat, firstly because I'm old enough to remember a time when we used to lose our prized assets, in fact we've just lost Hazard so it's still happening. Secondly, we have no idea if Lampard will turn out to be a good manager or not, it's far too early to tell. History is littered with managers who achieved far more than Frank did in his first season only to turn out to be complete duds. The name Roy Keane springs to mind, but there are countless others.

When I was watching the play off final I was of course rooting for Derby, like every other Chelsea fan, but knowing that Sarri was going, I did wonder if we'd have a better chance to lure Frank if Derby lost, strange as that may sound. I felt a second season in the Championship might be far harder than his first, without the loanees that did so well for you and without that first season "bounce" managers often benefit from. It's just far harder to command a group of players as time goes on and that's when we see if someone has what it takes.

That said, he's the man I want and I dare say most Chelsea fans agree. It might seem a strange appointment from the outside, due to his inexperience and the expectation levels and the pressure and scrutiny that comes with Chelsea but in the present context he's the man we want. He'll bring the feel-good factor back, and it's much needed. The atmosphere at games has been awful and there is a real disconnect between the fans and the team and the fans and the club in general. There's just something missing and it hasn't been helped by the number of managers passing through. Frank and Jody will bring a bit of buzz back and that's what's been sadly lacking. I know most of you won't care about our problems but I'm just explaining to those who wonder why we want Frank what our reasons are. The thought of Allegri or yet another big name manager just leaves a lot of us cold, despite their undoubted pedigree.

Will Frank make the grade? Well, it's a good time to come in my opinion because expectation levels will be tempered by the transfer ban and the fact Hazard has gone, plus the fact he'll buy himself time if he plays the kids, another reason why the idea of Frank appeals, because the fans just want to see a few kids break through. My hunch is that Frank will make a good manager. There's just something about him that makes me think that but maybe that's just wishful thinking. He's bright, he's level-headed, he's tough, he's determined etc etc. 

I watched your semi-final against Leeds and it was the best game I saw all season, the game at Elland Road. The Leeds fans were singing their songs when they went 2-0 up on aggregate and Lampard gave a wry smile. I just thought, "Watch this space". Derby were amazing that game, although I think he overdid it with the celebrations afterwards. I understood  the euphoria, the result, the performance, the rivalry etc, but while the fans and players can go mental, nothing had been achieved yet and I felt he needed to keep it down a little bit. That was just my thought at the time. He may have learned from that. Sometimes as manager you need to keep a lid on things.

His mates (Rio etc) and his uncle and cousin have been trying to tout him for the job, but whether that means he's coming I don't know. The fans expect it and I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen. It will make everyone very happy round here but there'll be reservations as well. It's a big job. As soon as he loses a couple of games the press will be right on top of him, especially given our history of sacking managers. He'll have to handle that kind of pressure but I think he can. He'll have the backing of the fans all day long. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses, given what you saw last season, if you can be bothered.

Anyway good luck to you lot and maybe see you in the PL (or the Championship!!!) sometime soon.

Strengths are the Lampard effect and how likeable he is and shows passion and has really pulled the fans and players together which it sounds from what you're saying is what you need, also Frank and Jody seem to be a good influence on the younger players  ....weaknesses i would say are some bizarre team selections including the play off final and doesn't seem to yet have the tactical nous to change a game like some good managers can....bringing on Jack Marriott against Leeds seemed a brilliant change but was apparently down to an injury to Duane Holmes but all in all   a likeable bloke and think he'll do well there if he goes....someone on here mentioned Viera might be in the frame but i'd be amazed if you chose him over a club legend.....all the best....most of my mates are Chelsea as live down near London so hope you do well.....just want it sorted sooner rather than later if its going to happen 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

You're very late to that party. Hopefully someone doesn't restart the entire cycle of discussion ? 

Yeah just realised. The perils of taking a quick look while at work.

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

But at normal room temperature  you don't get that extremely satisfying crack when you take a bite...

You could get a satisfying crack by chewing gravel. You can barely taste anything when a chocolate bar has been in the fridge.

4 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

You'd Petr look on the label and Cech. 

Boom!

Or get a Russian owner to get you one - that where "I-buy-ma-fridge".

Or ask Julius Caesar to do it for you, in a kind of Roman "I-buy-ma-fridge" way...

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Am I the only one who just looks and if the thread has advanced less than ten pages thinks to himself "nothing new happening then.

I mean 174 pages in and nothing has changed except Chelsea now don’t have a manager. 

30 minutes ago, Harry B said:

I felt a second season in the Championship might be far harder than his first, without the loanees that did so well for you and without that first season "bounce" managers often benefit from

Probably a good time to point out to you that Frank's "first season bounce" included:

1.  finishing with less points than we did the previous season under Rowett
  2.  finishing with a vastly inferior goal difference than we did the previous season under Rowett
  3.  lost more games than we did the previous season under Rowett
  4.  scored fewer goals than we did the previous season under Rowett
  5.  conceded more goals than we did the previous season under Rowett

Gary Rowett IS still available as a manager I believe. Do you want his number? Please - I insist

Archived