Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For somebody who teaches online marketing, this whole debacle is a fascinating example of the endowment effect in action and FOMO.

The endowment effect is when we put more value on something we already own than something we don't. There seem to be a lot of people who weren't bothered whether we got Frank or not, who are now vehemently against him leaving.

Yet, and as others have pointed out, the jury is most definitely still out on his coaching abilities as we looked really poor at times last season.

I bet if Frank were named Billy McClaren and Yeovil were after him offering us $4m there would be a lot more people shrugging their shoulders and saying 'take the money'.

For the record, I hope we keep him. But more for continuity's sake and how he wears his heart on his sleeve and has galvanized the team/supporters/city than because I'm convinced he will be a great coach.

3 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

No! we are just a small provincial club and should know our place as a stepping stone to the promise land. 

It's actually the only part about the saga that gets under my skin.  Most of the comments outside (and some inside) our fan base seem to think that we should have been grateful that someone of Frank's ilk would even grace us with his presence rather than looking at the fact that we backed an untried horse.  It's a great story though for the media, so we shouldn't really expect anything else.  Just think, they could be talking about who's going to be the next Derby County manager soon, that will get literally seconds of coverage on Sky. 

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are all of those true? Because that's quite something.

This season has been vastly more enjoyable than the time under Rowett and the football has been a lot better to watch - does anyone disagree with that? I'm struggling to get to grips with the fact the statistics are telling me one thing yet what I've seen on the pitch each week is telling me something else...

A lot will be down to our home form, won 13 drew 7 lost 3 last season, compared to 12, 5 and 6 the season before. 

5 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7149369/Lampard-face-face-talks-Chelsea-owner-Abramovich-stands-brink-return.html

end of the week before talks, Chelsea really putting us in a bad position for the coming season

"His proven track record with coaching young players" ?

Still awaiting the Derby statement that we've given Chelsea permission, otherwise the face-to-face talks discussed in that article are against the rules - unless they're about something other than Frank becoming their manager.

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are all of those true? Because that's quite something.

This season has been vastly more enjoyable than the time under Rowett and the football has been a lot better to watch - does anyone disagree with that? I'm struggling to get to grips with the fact the statistics are telling me one thing yet what I've seen on the pitch each week is telling me something else...

Yep all true!

When someone told me - I didn't believe it either until I checked. 

The fact we played more attractive football, and made the Play-Off final kind of allowed those stats to drift by us. We also forget that there was a point towards the back end of the season where almost all of us had written off making the play-offs full stop.

4 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7149369/Lampard-face-face-talks-Chelsea-owner-Abramovich-stands-brink-return.html

end of the week before talks, Chelsea really putting us in a bad position for the coming season

If true, Frank Lampard, Chelsea and the media are taking our club for mugs.

But, it's time for Mel Morris to dig his heels in and say pay up or shut up...

Shocking from a manager who claims that 'this is his club and he expects to be here next year'...if true of course.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

For somebody who teaches online marketing, this whole debacle is a fascinating example of the endowment effect in action and FOMO.

The endowment effect is when we put more value on something we already own than something we don't. There seem to be a lot of people who weren't bothered whether we got Frank or not, who are now vehemently against him leaving.

Yet, and as others have pointed out, the jury is most definitely still out on his coaching abilities as we looked really poor at times last season.

I bet if Frank were named Billy McClaren and Yeovil were after him offering us $4m there would be a lot more people shrugging their shoulders and saying 'take the money'.

For the record, I hope we keep him. But more for continuity's sake and how he wears his heart on his sleeve and has galvanized the team/supporters/city than because I'm convinced he will be a great coach.

The main reason I'd rather he stayed is that there's no Graham Potter or Dean Smith we can poach to replace him. It's looking seriously bare bones out there.

2 minutes ago, muttley72 said:

It's actually the only part about the saga that gets under my skin.  Most of the comments outside (and some inside) our fan base seem to think that we should have been grateful that someone of Frank's ilk would even grace us with his presence rather than looking at the fact that we backed an untried horse.  It's a great story though for the media, so we shouldn't really expect anything else.  Just think, they could be talking about who's going to be the next Derby County manager soon, that will get literally seconds of coverage on Sky. 

And now we have Champagne Charlie on SSN giving his 2 pence worth...... They are grasping at anything that keeps this going. We really should just be grateful that our small insignificant club get to play nursery for their messiah!

Don't get me wrong, I like Frank, Jody and the team.  I want them to continue the project and build something and give some stability, They haven't blown me away, but you can see the potential. Statistics in comparison to other past recent managers, meh! We challenged for promotion, and probably over achieved last season, but there was a refreshing buzz back at the club. As i said in a previous post regardless of his experience or credentials as a manager to date, he (and i will include Jody in this) does have something about him and has raised the profile of our club.

Being kept hanging around and used as some kind of bargaining tool or fall back option 'IF' that's whats going on sticks in my throat. So the longer it goes on without Chelsea making 'the approach' and the radio silence from official sources or individuals (Mel's recent comment aside) also leave a nasty taste in my mouth........ but.... it's only football, no one has died, just my respect.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If true, Frank Lampard, Chelsea and the media are taking our club for mugs.

But, it's time for Mel Morris to dig his heels in and say pay up or shut up...

Shocking from a manager who claims that 'this is his club and he expects to be here next year'...if true of course.

Firstly, my gut feeling is that he will go and with no ill feeling on my behalf.

However, I really don't belief this story is based on any facts. I believe Frank has enough integrity and respect for Mel and the club to follow proper protocol.

I reckon this is just an excuse for the Mail Online to get Roman's name linked to the story and a nice picture of one of his yachts. They're just speculating/anticipating that if/when an official approach is made Frank "may" meet Roman on one of his fancy yachts. I wonder if Ambrovich normally gets involved in such meetings?

3 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

He's off to chelsea.

You do wonder don’t you ? Bowyer more or less makes himself a free agent, nice little signing on fee as opposed to paying compensation to Charlton...some might say it’s all falling into place.

6 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

You do wonder don’t you ? Bowyer more or less makes himself a free agent, nice little signing on fee as opposed to paying compensation to Charlton...some might say it’s all falling into place.

Strangely he’s probably proved more than Lampard as a manager, despite being a league below. 

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Strangely he’s probably proved more than Lampard as a manager, despite being a league below. 

Tactically very impressive at Charlton, but you do have to wonder what impact his status at the club had. He already had a big influence on the dressing room and was popular.

He would also face a much tougher remit, here. Bigger expectations, bigger wage bills, bigger players. Would be a massive ask of him to make that jump, in my opinion. 

Archived