Derby County v Wigan Athletic

Bwash_Ram
Message added by Day

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a great result because we battled back from 1-0 down. I can remember many dour games v wigan with time-wasting etc (one where johnny russell got his checkbone smashed ) so we've been there before but this time we battled back to win.

we put out our best available 11 and johnno's strength in the middle was a plus. The goal was worth the entrance fee alone. Absolutely fantastic goal. It gave the whole team a lift and the performance improved. Confidence is such a massive factor.

Great to get the reward of a second goal. If waghorns header - that hit the post - had made it 3-1, that would have been the icing on the cake.

at 2-1 down wigan finally stopped time-wasting and boring us to death and actually looked half decent for a while.

Mason Bennett’s goal is currently being tweeted all round the world.

Made up for the lad, him and Holmes were excellent when they came on. He’s on the verge of being a big player for this club.

Frank got his subs spot on, also bringing Wilson wide right where he had so much more space.

Johnsons an intelligent footballer, reads the game and puts teams on the back foot by anticipating what’s going to happen. Seriously think when he’s in the mood like tonight he’s one of the best in the league. How many games to earn a new contract?

Id have a serious look at that Reece James for next year if i was Frank.

Fans were excellent tonight really pleased to see Derby feel like one united front. Let’s make Pride Park a fortress.

oh, and the ref was absolutely terrible and the linesman was even worse

Finally can somebody get the ball boys to wake up when we are losing!

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It was a great result because we battled back from 1-0 down. I can remember many dour games v wigan with time-wasting etc (one where johnny russell got his checkbone smashed ) so we've been there before but this time we battled back to win.

we put out our best available 11 and johnno's strength in the middle was a plus. The goal was worth the entrance fee alone. Absolutely fantastic goal. It gave the whole team a lift and the performance improved. Confidence is such a massive factor.

Great to get the reward of a second goal. If waghorns header - that hit the post - had made it 3-1, that would have been the icing on the cake.

at 2-1 down wigan finally stopped time-wasting and boring us to death and actually looked half decent for a while.

That header, if it’s the one I think you mean, actually hit the side netting and the keeper pushed at it through the netting... was a goal kick. Referee and linesman, to no ones surprise, didn’t see it or give it so the game carried on. 

It’s just nice to win! 

More effort than lately - johnson made a difference just by trying to tackle and winning some headers 

Mason Bennett- nice moment for him which I believe he was trying to flick the ball on but who cares and it’s another game he has won for us via the subs bench 

tomorrow Real Madrid will offer £20 million for him and we will be forced to accept 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

It’s just nice to win! 

More effort than lately - johnson made a difference just by trying to tackle and winning some headers 

Mason Bennett- nice moment for him which I believe he was trying to flick the ball on but who cares and it’s another game he has won for us via the subs bench 

tomorrow Real Madrid will offer £20 million for him and we will be forced to accept 

At the time I thought it was a bit of fortune, but the more I look at the replays the more I think he meant it.

44 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great win and just what we needed. So bored of posters who think Frank would have been sacked if we had lost though. Either they think Mel would actually do this or they are willing it to happen.

We had a few poor performances and results after promising more earlier in season. Get over it.

Crowd did great tonight. Nice one for anyone responsible for getting it all going.

If we had lost tonight, it would have left us with 1 point from our last 15 and we would be left three points adrift of 6th having played a game more.

A loss tonight would have come on the back of pitiful away defeats to Forest and Villa and a equally bad home defeat to Millwall, as well as poor performances away at Ipswich and Brighton in the cup. 

Given Mel’s track record, it’s hardly a big leap to suggest Frank’s job was on the line tonight.

No-one is willing Frank to lose his job. But when you are on a run like we’ve been on and when you have an owner who isn’t known for being patient, it’s just facing up to the reality of what might happen and whether Mel will hold his nerve or not.

I think on the whole, the fan base supports Frank. Some acknowledge that he isn’t perfect and needs time to learn and grow and that’s reasonable.

Just because some of us aren’t proclaiming ‘We’re back!’ or ‘Wembley here we come!’ after one win doesn’t mean that Frank and the club don’t have our support.

Personally, I think we could be in for a cracking season next season after Frank has taken stock and put his learning into practice.

I just hope we can back up today’s result and ride out the storm to see that happen.

Big win tonight, we got a performance of sorts but that's a start and a certain improvement on recent weeks. As mentioned Bradley Johnson had a good game after coming back into the fold. He's not a long term solution but when he puts in an influential performance like that it does makes me wonder if he could do that a bit more consistently he'd be a good player to have in the squad next year. (On a bit less wonga maybe). Hopefully this result will get us going again, perfect time to do so with 3 home games coming up. 

Couple of other points;

Waggy > Marriott as a CF at the moment. More of a threat. More of a presence. 

Wilson's diving (and Holmes tonight) pisses me off. 

Congrats Keezy on 600 big ones and a MOTM performance. 

17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've just watched Bennett's goal 607 times and I am convinced he meant it.

The way he twisted his body as the ball came onto him did not signify a click on to me.

I think I'm up to 609 views and have concluded he meant it.  

Great to see media reports from around the world already mentioning Bennett's "insane" goal. 

Couple of things I noticed tonight-

We looked better without Marriott as much as it saddens me to say it, I don’t think he’s anywhere near fit enough to bring what’s needed in that role at the minute and id leave him till after the international break to get fit. Waghorn is a much better fit 

We looked a lot better generally tonight because players weren’t as complacent and actually showed som desire to win the ball, keep a hold of it, and work, press and move as a team. Worked much better than turning up thinking they can win as individuals.

Our team that finished was better than the one that started, Holmes should always play imo he’s our best centre mid, and Bennett adds further strength. Johnson also contributed to this, making us far less easily brushed off than we have been recently.

Carson doesn’t deserve his place over Roos, who’s distribution at the very least is far better, overall his general goalkeeping is also arguably an inprovement

Same problems still exist in spite of this however, in terms of our defending and general lack of quality in the final third particulary. Better tonight but far from enough to make me stop worrying about whether frank has enough, need evidence we’ve turned a corner. Massive tho for confidence that win, let’s hope we can push on now!

Bennett definitely meant to score. For anyone who doesn't know, he practises that specific shot all the time. He finds them easier to score than tap ins. I'm a bit surprised he celebrated, normally he just shrugs and walks back to the centre circle.

It was very clever of Malone to lull Wigan into a false sense of security by pretending to be rubbish at football for the majority of the game. They never saw him coming.

Had to catch score while at work.

Credit to all on here at least acknowledging Masons goal. I can only comment on THAT as an utterly outrageous, stunningly brilliant, sublime goal. Reading posts I’m incredulous as to how underwhelmed some are describing that. Maybe the lad needs to part the Atlantic and proceed to walk on it before getting the credit he deserves. Enjoy that moment, there will be no other goal to beat that for me this season, simples (damn I really didn’t want to finish with that). And a local lad. Mason Bennett, take a bow young man. 

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Bennett definitely meant to score. For anyone who doesn't know, he practises that specific shot all the time. He finds them easier to score than tap ins. I'm a bit surprised he celebrated, normally he just shrugs and walks back to the centre circle.

It was very clever of Malone to lull Wigan into a false sense of security by pretending to be rubbish at football for the majority of the game. They never saw him coming.

It was a plan so cunning he could have put a tail on it and called it a weasel. 

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've just watched Bennett's goal 607 times and I am convinced he meant it.

The way he twisted his body as the ball came onto him did not signify a click on to me.

I watched it once and sure he meant it. At least he was aiming to flick the ball goalwards, more often than not that doesn’t go in, bloody glad it did last night.

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Oh I don’t say I cared one bit how it went in...yes It was the great big slice of luck we have needed. I will take that every day. But he didn’t mean It. (Which was the question I was replying to)

Did you listen on radio Derby because I guess you didn’t have access to a tv replay

The three points were very welcome. However the general performance won't give our next opponents too many sleepless nights. There were far too many individual errors with the gift of a goal we gave them as a prime example. How  do we expect to get anywhere when we gift goals?-Millwall,Ipswich,Forest and now Wigan .

Bristol City have a horrendous run of fixtures playing Leeds, Boro and Sheffield Utd in the next 4 goals so hopefully this win will kickstart our run into the play-offs. We could also do with Mount and Lawrence back. Any news?

Archived