Derby County v Wigan Athletic

Bwash_Ram
Message added by Day

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

Talk about collective sighs of relief.  Messy and clearly still lacking confidence but you couldn't fault the effort shown by all of them. Hudds missed a few passes but his calmness helped steady the midfield.  Bradley was MOTM for me. Worked his socks off.  Waggers was running all over the place with no service altho should have made it 3.  Holmes continues to show he has that little something.  Just clear that first man please! Malone I still don't think is doing us or himself justice but can't knock him - he scored the winner.  As for Bennett, nope not a fan but the more I see it the more I'm convinced he's scored one of the goals of the century.

BUT we won! Hurrahs and hi-fives all round. Onward and upward ?

messi more like.?

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I throught derby were fanstic tonight and my man Mason Bennett got his fanstic goal I think he will kick on now.

Thought we were a tad messy for the first hour B4 but we fought hard, didn't give up and deserved the win in the end. Mason's goal was an absolute belter though. Goal of the season so far for me. COYR

Johnson's come into a lot of stick this season (much of it rightly) but tonight he was magnificent for us, he really could hold a place if he keeps going like that. Won balls, broke up play and got the ball moving up the pitch. Real box to box midfielder tonight. 

All the lads put in a shift tonight though, need to see that desire every game. 

1 minute ago, RamLad1884 said:

Johnson's come into a lot of stick this season (much of it rightly) but tonight he was magnificent for us, he really could hold a place if he keeps going like that. Won balls, broke up play and got the ball moving up the pitch. Real box to box midfielder tonight. 

All the lads put in a shift tonight though, need to see that desire every game. 

The problem is the next game he will be awful !!

Mind you he is playing for a contract now..

Not letting the result mask over the ineptitude of much of that display, but it was a massive “any means necessary” win ahead of this home run of games. 

Thought we started ok-ish compared to recent weeks and the fans were with the team. Then an horrendous goal derailed everything. 

Carson should’ve got down to it, and it’s another goal concede going right underneath him. A common theme, and coupled with his kicking being atrocious, he has to be replaced in the close season. 

That said, it was an awful mistake by Malone, who’s simply not good enough. So one footed it’s painful to watch with every first touch backwards to lay it off negatively. Calamity of arms and legs with a mistake due at any moment. 

Thought Johnson was a bit all over the place first half, despite the aggression. Needless free kicks when he shouldn’t challenge and no challenge when he should. Thankfully, he improved second half and gets immense credit for the second goal. 

Subs made a good impact for the first time in a while. Holmes looked like the one in January, whilst Bennett scores the best/flukiest goal he will ever score in his career. 

When we scored that second the players absolutely swamped each other and went mental at the fans celebrating. Showed some real spirit and heart. Just makes you think, where the hell is that during the game? No one would mind losing games if you’re putting your heart into it. But we stroll around acting lethargic and non-plussed far too often. More of that please. 

Best player on the pitch was their number 12, Reece James. Tomori and Frank gave him a big hug at the end of the game which gave me suspicions of a Chelsea connection... and sure enough, he’s on loan. He bossed it from defensive midfield and was everywhere for them. Exactly what we need in our team with the right amount of fight, speed and athleticism for the position. Would like him on loan next year. 

34 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Great to get the 3 points and hopefully we can get some momentum going in this tight playoff race.COYR.

On a side note, my neighbor keeps throwing some of his trash into my yard.Suggestions on getting him back? I thought perhaps take a leak in his jacuzzi...too extreme?

Throw it back

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not letting the result mask over the ineptitude of much of that display, but it was a massive “any means necessary” win ahead of this home run of games. 

Thought we started ok-ish compared to recent weeks and the fans were with the team. Then an horrendous goal derailed everything. 

Carson should’ve got down to it, and it’s another goal concede going right underneath him. A common theme, and coupled with his kicking being atrocious, he has to be replaced in the close season. 

That said, it was an awful mistake by Malone, who’s simply not good enough. So one footed it’s painful to watch with every first touch backwards to lay it off negatively. Calamity of arms and legs with a mistake due at any moment. 

Thought Johnson was a bit all over the place first half, despite the aggression. Needless free kicks when he shouldn’t challenge and no challenge when he should. Thankfully, he improved second half and gets immense credit for the second goal. 

Subs made a good impact for the first time in a while. Holmes looked like the one in January, whilst Bennett scores the best/flukiest goal he will ever score in his career. 

When we scored that second the players absolutely swamped each other and went mental at the fans celebrating. Showed some real spirit and heart. Just makes you think, where the hell is that during the game? No one would mind losing games if you’re putting your heart into it. But we stroll around acting lethargic and non-plussed far too often. More of that please. 

Best player on the pitch was their number 12, Reece James. Tomori and Frank gave him a big hug at the end of the game which gave me suspicions of a Chelsea connection... and sure enough, he’s on loan. He bossed it from defensive midfield and was everywhere for them. Exactly what we need in our team with the right amount of fight, speed and athleticism for the position. Would like him on loan next year. 

And who is you actually support ? 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

And who is you actually support ? 

I’m a realist. What do you want me to say? We were amazing and we should keep the team the same in perpetuity?Or a win is a win so we were amazing? I gave credit where it’s due, and criticism where it was too - and I’d like to thinking Frank would too. 

Great win and just what we needed. So bored of posters who think Frank would have been sacked if we had lost though. Either they think Mel would actually do this or they are willing it to happen.

We had a few poor performances and results after promising more earlier in season. Get over it.

Crowd did great tonight. Nice one for anyone responsible for getting it all going.

14 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Thought we were a tad messy for the first hour B4 but we fought hard, didn't give up and deserved the win in the end. Mason's goal was an absolute belter though. Goal of the season so far for me. COYR

I throught we played well and tried high pressing game again and hit and move football at speed.

Just now, Srg said:

I’m a realist. What do you want me to say? We were amazing and we should keep the team the same inperpetuatry? Or a win is a win so we were amazing? I gave credit where it’s due, and criticism where it was too - and I’d like to thinking Frank would too. 

You can point to errors, carelessness, poor touch for sure, but your report reads like some time and motion man who’s got a brief to cut the workforce and everyone knows it even though it’s a claim to be all about efficiency. Realism isn’t quite the same as gloom monegering. It reads like a review of a team in the relegation zone. Bar the goal difference we are top 6 and we’ve just stamped on a run of bad form with a characterful if imperfect display.  That’s realism. 

Just got back in...

Phew,what a relief.

Had a thoroughly entertaining night tonight,full of passion from the fans (in every stand),bad guy ref and a linesman who appeared to only have the use of one arm.

Not the sweetest performance from us but light years away from the borefest  that was the Millwall match and a step forwards.

Johnson was my man of the match,strong,stubborn and led the side throughout the game in my opinion.

Absolutely stunning goal from Bennett who helped to turn the game around in the second half and,like Johnson,was strong as an ox and imposed himself on the game.

Hopefully this win will breed some confidence in the lads and Frank and it leads us back towards the playoffs.

1 minute ago, jono said:

You can point to errors, carelessness, poor touch for sure, but your report reads like some time and motion man who’s got a brief to cut the workforce and everyone knows it even though it’s a claim to be all about efficiency. Realism isn’t quite the same as gloom monegering. It reads like a review of a team in the relegation zone. Bar the goal difference we are top 6 and we’ve just stamped on a run of bad form with a characterful if imperfect display.  That’s realism. 

Which I believe I said. I said it wasn’t a good display but it was an any means necessary win. I praised the subs, Johnson’s contribution (and I don’t even rate the guy at all, as @David will attest) and the spirit shown. Read it however you want to read it, but your interpretation is incorrect. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Which I believe I said. I said it wasn’t a good display but it was an any means necessary win. I praised the subs, Johnson’s contribution (and I don’t even rate the guy at all, as @David will attest) and the spirit shown. Read it however you want to read it, but your interpretation is incorrect. 

True that, even called him my boyfriend at half time. I wish ?

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the game anyway mate. About time the lads gave the fans something to cheer about. COYR

Win lose or draw

When lads play like that I can take a loss as dead on there legs in 2nd half.

The big difference was that we started with intent. We looked to get it forward and force the issue. Poor from Malone and then Carson undid that start and it all went flat. But we kept going, subs made a big difference and we got that moment, that spark we needed.

It wasn't pretty but we actually got into dangerous positions. Against Millwall we offered nothing, sure we passed it about the back neatly but there was no threat. Tonight we actually won some second balls, mainly Johnson who did what has been needed for a long time.

Our confidence was shot coming into this, would have been easy to fold. We tried to be positive and got the reward. Getting the win, getting a confidence boost was far more important than the performance for the players and for Lampard.

Archived