Derby County v Wigan Athletic

Bwash_Ram
Message added by Day

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

How was Malones goal? not seen it yet

a touch lucky as I think it was a misplaced shot that was going wide until he got his foot in.  First time in ages I've seen us camped in the opponents' penalty area and it goes to show you don't need to walk the ball in the net.  Lovely turn from BJ to set up the left side

Anyone else notice how slow Nugent looked when he came on yesterday.

He was contributing in games at the start of the season with his pressing (despite hardly ever scoring), but if his legs really have gone such he can’t press effectively, then that is both sad to see and a worry for the squad as Marriott seems a little way off full fitness.

10 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Great to get the 3 points and hopefully we can get some momentum going in this tight playoff race.COYR.

On a side note, my neighbor keeps throwing some of his trash into my yard.Suggestions on getting him back? I thought perhaps take a leak in his jacuzzi...too extreme?

Get a catapult put his windows in with ice cubes .Ice cubes melt no evidence ,simples . 

5 minutes ago, Dean_Saunders said:

He was contributing in games at the start of the season with his pressing (despite hardly ever scoring), but if his legs really have gone such he can’t press effectively, then that is both sad to see and a worry for the squad as Marriott seems a little way off full fitness.

He's finished I think.  just put on to provide a place to put the ball to hold up.  God help us if we get an injury and he needs to come on earlier in the game.  Age catches up with the best it is just a  bit shocking how quickly it has affected him.  Perhaps he was hiding it well until recently?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Couple of things I noticed tonight-

We looked better without Marriott as much as it saddens me to say it, I don’t think he’s anywhere near fit enough to bring what’s needed in that role at the minute and id leave him till after the international break to get fit. Waghorn is a much better fit 

We looked a lot better generally tonight because players weren’t as complacent and actually showed som desire to win the ball, keep a hold of it, and work, press and move as a team. Worked much better than turning up thinking they can win as individuals.

Our team that finished was better than the one that started, Holmes should always play imo he’s our best centre mid, and Bennett adds further strength. Johnson also contributed to this, making us far less easily brushed off than we have been recently.

Carson doesn’t deserve his place over Roos, who’s distribution at the very least is far better, overall his general goalkeeping is also arguably an inprovement

Same problems still exist in spite of this however, in terms of our defending and general lack of quality in the final third particulary. Better tonight but far from enough to make me stop worrying about whether frank has enough, need evidence we’ve turned a corner. Massive tho for confidence that win, let’s hope we can push on now!

Pretty much this..

Really would rather have roos over Carson now..he's quicker thinking,more dynamic and distributes the ball better.

Marriott whilst a great player doesn't fit as well as waghorn who I thought was ok last night,not brilliant by any means but does the CF role better.

Went last night and didn't come on here until this morning to catch up with the match thread .Be interesting to know who went and who didn't because although Derby weren't brilliant they were a million times better than against Millwall and the match live wasn't that bad .

MOM for me Keogh or Jono close call 

Fans were great they got a bit frustrated with passing going astray [lots of them] but stuck with the team .Hats off to them.

Malone villain then hero 

If Mason plays for another 20 years he won't score another like that but well done son.

We turned up wasn't great but we bloody well turned up. 

Not out of the woods yet but with decent players to come back we are in with a shout.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't think Marriott is properly match fit at present. Whether he needs time out for rehab or just to be playing minutes to get sharp again I'm not sure.

agreed

waggy is better out there without marriott but M is the better option when fit.  Play Waggy until that happens and stop tinkering.  Still don't know why we bought both of them in the summer?

16 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Went last night and didn't come on here until this morning to catch up with the match thread .Be interesting to know who went and who didn't because although Derby weren't brilliant they were a million times better than against Millwall and the match live wasn't that bad .

MOM for me Keogh or Jono close call 

Fans were great they got a bit frustrated with passing going astray [lots of them] but stuck with the team .Hats off to them.

Malone villain then hero 

If Mason plays for another 20 years he won't score another like that but well done son.

We turned up wasn't great but we bloody well turned up. 

Not out of the woods yet but with decent players to come back we are in with a shout.

RK for the sentiment of 600 career games but Braders for the shear hardwork 

Last night reminded me of the game at home to Cardiff, Big game to get ourselves back inform and in a position to push for a play off space. I actually quite like being on the the outside looking in, If we sneak into the playoffs the momentum could take us a long way. If we can beat Wednesday and Stoke and get Lawrence and Mount back to full fitness for the Rotherham game that would be great. Thought BJ was very good tonight, the turn for the second goal was class. Wilson was back having shots and driving at people and wasn't it typical that we scored after bringing Holmes on, he needs to start games. Marriott may have to make way for Waghorn up top with Wilson and Bennett either side on Saturday, a rest might do him good and he would be a very good super sub.

2 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

I might be alone here but I would give him another contract and play him, he is the only one we have who isn’t bullied in midfield. 

Yes him and Bryson but both would need to accept a third of what they are currently getting - which would still be a lot !  

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

anybody seen a TV angle for Waggy's 'goal'?  The one on Ramstv was not good enough but he did accept it without complaint.  At the time I thought he was onside

I was in line and it definitely looked offside to me so I wasn’t complaining 

41 minutes ago, Dean_Saunders said:

Take it you missed his run across the front of their pen area then . It was a useful substitution

He is finished though, but not because of his speed or lack of - sadly he has completely lost his goal scoring touch.

11 hours ago, Srg said:

Which I believe I said. I said it wasn’t a good display but it was an any means necessary win. I praised the subs, Johnson’s contribution (and I don’t even rate the guy at all, as @David will attest) and the spirit shown. Read it however you want to read it, but your interpretation is incorrect. 

Really ? I don’t think so. I still think your report was way off the mark

i quote

”mask over the ineptitude of much of the display” Really ? Inept ? Yes we lacked some strength and some quality but I hardly think inept is a fair criticism 

On Carson “Attricious” “common theme” “must be replaced” ... ok then with what and and at what price ? He’s a good keeper who made a mistake. 

Malone ? A tangle of arms and legs and should never play again ? .. sure his touch was crude especially in the first half and he made a critical error but you ignore the fact that he is one of the few we have that can hit fast whippy crosses at the right height, he works his socks off looks forward more than others, and oh yes .. he scored one and passed to Bennett for the equaliser. Is that not enough to save him from execution ? 

Johnson .. yes you give him some praise for his help in the goal but you damn him with faint praise as he is “a bit all over the place making unnecessary challenges” when in reality it’s that running around and fighting that we’ve been missing, and you miss out the fact that but for a cracking save from his header we’d have been 1 up. He was box to box all night. Not everything worked but boy oh boy was he the difference competitively 

Your best player on the pitch ? Some loanee who doesn’t play for us. .. kind of sums it up ! Not my idea of a balanced report from a fan. I stand my my interpretation. 

Just a quick point, especially as it all seems a bit quiet, but what really pleased me about the goals was that Bennett and Malone both gambled to make those goals happen. Backed themselves and got their rewards, that’s something else that’s been lacking in previous games. 

That's more like it! Cracking atmosphere and dramatic finish. Relief more than joy I'd say. A little bit like the Cardiff game last year where we came from behind. 

Was strange that we wobbled a bit after our first goal and couldn't get full control of the ball and possession but great move for the final goal even if Bogle probably messed up a shot... Momentum now please! 

Great to see our players running at the opposition again in attack. Wilson second half much better and looking his old self. Waghorn grew into it as many others do and agree with a few comments maybe Marriott to the bench and Waggy through the middle on Saturday?

A strange game but all about that win. It gives us fans something to connect to seeing how much it means to the players. They obviously do care and want it just as bad as we do! 

We go to Saturday which will be a tough game against Brucey's Wendies.

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Just a quick point, especially as it all seems a bit quiet, but what really pleased me about the goals was that Bennett and Malone both gambled to make those goals happen. Backed themselves and got their rewards, that’s something else that’s been lacking in previous games. 

For those of us that have been around for a while, Malone’s goal had more than a touch of Alan Durban about it. It beats me why more players don’t hang around at the back post. In particular, for scuffed shots and glancing headers. Durban made himself famous for his 3 yard tap ins. He was a cultured player on top of that. Full credit to Malone for being there.

As for Mason Bennett’s goal, the more I watch it, the better it gets?

Archived