Watchable telly

dog

Also, it may have already been mentioned months ago so I apologise, but,

Once upon a time in Iraq. 

On BBC iplayer. 

5 part documentary on the story of Iraq told by interviews from Iraqi civilians, US journalists, US army, Isis activists. 

It starts from the 2nd Iraq war in 2013 through to the ISIS invasion in 2019.

You tend to forget what actually happened over those 6 years, and the insight given by the interviews are fascinating.

You end up feeling so sorry for the normal Iraqi people, they got shafted. 

Brilliant 5 episodes. 

17 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Documentary about the possibility of Jimi Hendrix death being murder because he was heavily insured and planning to change his management - hendrix and the spook.  Much of the investigation surrounding the night of his death done by Derby girl and long term girlfriend Kathy Etchingham.  Just on sky arts.

Thought it might be a bit fanciful but Very good and features many main players from his life

read about this a couple of years ago. His manager was ex-CIA spy I think. He was certainly connected and knowledgable in that field. He was about to be cut out as manager, so the timing of Hendrix's death was shady as the manager had a % of the publishing rights to Hendrix's music and made a fair chunk after his death. Think there was something dubious about drugs not circulating his body/blood stream, which indicates they were put in him after he died. Not sure if the documentary goes into the same details.

31 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

read about this a couple of years ago. His manager was ex-CIA spy I think. He was certainly connected and knowledgable in that field. He was about to be cut out as manager, so the timing of Hendrix's death was shady as the manager had a % of the publishing rights to Hendrix's music and made a fair chunk after his death. Think there was something dubious about drugs not circulating his body/blood stream, which indicates they were put in him after he died. Not sure if the documentary goes into the same details.

It does and other theory.  One being very plausible.  Turned over to channel 5 afterwards and there was the manager of a nightclub in Paris talking about how Jim Morrison died in his toilets, not his hotel room and was carried back there . Must have been the night for such programmes.

On 08/10/2020 at 13:38, ariotofmyown said:

I'm sure people have recommended Dark on Netflix, but it's quickly turning into one of my favourite ever series. Almost at the end of season 1 and just keeps getting better.

The Killing mixed with Back to the Future.

Just wanted to add a thanks to those that recommended Dark - just finished the 1st series and can’t say I’ve entirely worked out what’s going on but thoroughly enjoyed trying.... I’ve been watching it in German with English subtitles which has possibly made it more complicated but (spoiler alert!) having the same character played by (in some cases) three different actors and then trying to keep on top of who is related to who has really added to the mystery....

The Looming Tower - mini-series about how inter-agency mistrust between the CIA and the FBI facilitated 9/11. Decent.

4 Blocks - Turkish criminal outfits in Berlin struggle to stay one step ahead of the narcs and the competition. If subtitles don't bug you, deffo worth a watch.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Just wanted to add a thanks to those that recommended Dark - just finished the 1st series and can’t say I’ve entirely worked out what’s going on but thoroughly enjoyed trying.... I’ve been watching it in German with English subtitles which has possibly made it more complicated but (spoiler alert!) having the same character played by (in some cases) three different actors and then trying to keep on top of who is related to who has really added to the mystery....

I'm halfway through the 2nd series. Just keep getting better. Love the moment when something else clicks for either yourself or the character.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

one of the best programmes ever IMO. Stick with it. Some of it is factual.

Cheers, I listened to Sound and Vision, a bbc podcast about the music behind movies and TV. 

Stephen Graham was this weeks guest and he raved about. 

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Just watched episode 1 and 2 of Boardwalk Empire. 

Is it worth sticking with, its been a bit slow?

It gets slower..... much slower. 

It oozes quality and attention to detail but by series 3 or 4 (I think) the snail-like pace finally got the better of me. Really wanted to love it but for me it was a bit style over substance. Some great actors and a really good era but I much prefer Peaky Blinders as a comparison of a interesting, fast moving period piece. 

51 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

It gets slower..... much slower. 

It oozes quality and attention to detail but by series 3 or 4 (I think) the snail-like pace finally got the better of me. Really wanted to love it but for me it was a bit style over substance. Some great actors and a really good era but I much prefer Peaky Blinders as a comparison of a interesting, fast moving period piece. 

Although it moved slowly at times, it then could burst into life and was incredible. I really like the final series too.

For anyone interested in Cuba All available on Netflix 

Cuba and The Cameraman - factual time based revisits over many years by an American Journalist

Cuba Libre Story - Historical review of Cuba

Four Seasons in Havana - fictional drama but with some good location scenes stars Jorge Perugorria

14 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Ted Lasso on Apple TV+ is brilliant. Chris Powell is in four of the episodes! 

Joyous. If their were a TV healing ointment for this grimmest of years it'd be Ted Lasso. Beneath the wonderful goofiness of it all, there's real craft and substance. It won't be for everyone, but I absolutely love it.