Watchable telly

dog

28 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I haven't watched any of it, but my daughter suggested I should watch it. She loved it, but even though she loved it, she advised me to only watch the first two.

Let me know what you think after you've seen all 3?

Nah, I loved season 3 too. A bit funnier than than previously and really retroed up that 80s feel.

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I watched L'Imortale last night, which is based on Gomorrah (after season 3). Very good.

It's about 2 hours long. Do not watch until you've watched ALL of Gomorrah

I was a bit disappointed. I loved Gomorrah, though it did tail off a bit in later series.

Marco d’amore is pretty cool.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh man, Stranger Things is great. I've watched about 20 episodes in 3 days. 

I half arsed saw the first season but wasn't into it but now I get the hype. 

Simple, nostalgic, electronic music, neon lights, 80's movie cliché, great characters and great acting. Millie Bobby Brown is fascinating in every scene. 

Just about to start season 3. Breaking Bad levels of enjoyment for me. All this time ignoring the hype! ?

Watched Season 1 when it was fairly new. Thought it was alright, nothing special, and didn't bother watching the rest.

Not to be rude, but do you think it's easier to love it if you were alive in the 80s, as opposed to sitting in your dad's ballsack?

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Watched Season 1 when it was fairly new. Thought it was alright, nothing special, and didn't bother watching the rest.

Not to be rude, but do you think it's easier to love it if you were alive in the 80s, as opposed to sitting in your dad's ballsack?

Definitely. My missus didn't get on board either because she didn't grow up on an 80's diet. 

The main plot must seem pretty routine but I think the 80's was all about space, time travel, other dimensions etc. It just all goes together. 

You're too young fam

currently watching the last episode of Season 1 of Riviera on SkyQ.

It's got the girl who played Nikki Parsons in the Bourne films as the main character, it's decent and enjoyable, and very well made, if a little bit similar to other stories.

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You were sat in your Dad’s ballsack for some 10-20 years? What happened in January 1999 that made him turn to your mum and say an empty is long overdue?

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

You were sat in your Dad’s ballsack for some 10-20 years? What happened in January 1999 that made him turn to your mum and say an empty is long overdue?

God decided it was time for the second coming, armed with even greater wisdom this time (namely, ‘Wear a condom’).

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

currently watching the last episode of Season 1 of Riviera on SkyQ.

It's got the girl who played Nikki Parsons in the Bourne films as the main character, it's decent and enjoyable, and very well made, if a little bit similar to other stories

For me.. Riveria fell into the arena of an audience who would like.. Big Little Lies or the Bodyguard or Dr Foster.. 

Kinda, decent enough but not very gritty. 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

For me.. Riveria fell into the arena of an audience who would like.. Big Little Lies or the Bodyguard or Dr Foster.. 

Kinda, decent enough but not very gritty. 

I thought Big Little Lies was pretty gritty. Well, perhaps not gritty, brutal maybe? 

Doctor Foster and Bodyguard, yeah they were fairly soft.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought Big Little Lies was pretty gritty. Well, perhaps not gritty, brutal maybe? 

Doctor Foster and Bodyguard, yeah they were fairly soft.

Just the whole feel is a bit glossy, everything/one looks attractive and just all feels a bit superficial. Sinner was similar maybe to Big Little Lies then... 

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Just the whole feel is a bit glossy, everything/one looks attractive and just all feels a bit superficial. Sinner was similar maybe to Big Little Lies then... 

I see what you mean, but I thought that was what made Big Little Lies so good, all that gloss hiding the dark secrets.

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I see what you mean, but I thought that was what made Big Little Lies so good, all that gloss hiding the dark secrets.

Agreed. 13 Reasons was similar...everyone looks perfect but underneath they have dark secrets. Dead to Me is another perfectly well written series that still felt a little 'so what' for that reason. 

Because I find ultimately if the whole feel is still quite polished I find it harder to care /really become engrossed. 

Something closer to real life, maybe more harsh and authentic is always easier for me to connect with...like The Sopranos or The Wire. 

With a bit of spare time on my hands I restarted the Walking Dead as an experiment out of interest to see how good it actually was. I was always a huge fan of the series and watched from day 1 and was totally engrossed at first, slowly moving (with some peaks) to suffering the latter series and reaching the point of not even remembering or caring which episode I was up to. 

I couldn't believe how quickly it rattled along. What felt like huge story arcs and important, well - established characters seemed to fall by the wayside at breakneck speed. The first series was only 6 episodes or something and so much happened.  It was so tight and well crafted you were just pulled along with the story. 

Series 2 was almost as good, the group changes as they encounter Herschel/Maggie/farm and it becomes a bit more bloated but its still great fun. 

Series 3 with the prison isn't a bad idea and I was still enjoying it..then Woodborough/David Morrissey hits the screen and it all becomes clear where it went totally off the rails. I started not paying attention, doing other stuff, checking my phone. Bearing in mind it was still infinitely more watchable than the latter series, it became clear how flabby and soap opera it all became. I stopped there...there are a few highlights later on but in general it totally loses its lean, clear, storylines and becomes terribly turgid and complicated. Samantha Morton's Alpha is easily the most annoyingly voiced character ever. I couldn't watch her she bugged me that much. So, that's what I achieved this week... The Walking Dead really was that good for about 2 series before it rapidly fell off a cliff.