Watchable telly

dog

On 14/03/2022 at 10:57, NottsRam said:

Watched the final ever episode of Gomorrah yesterday, for me the best drama ever.  I now feel like i've lost a pet and need a new one to ease the pain.  All suggestions are welcome.  

Just watched the last one, I'm struggling to think of a better series. 

Maybe The Wire, although I did give up halfway through the final series on that.

Went back to watch what were the two original series of Top Boy that are now called Top Boy Summerhouse.

These came out when we were. living in the US so I wasn't familiar with them.

Only 4 seasons in each series from Channel 4, but really good stuff. so far (half way through the 3rd series done by Netflix)

I was concerned that Netflix wouldn't maintain the standard with series 3 and 4 which are confusingly called season 1 and 2 with the Summerhouse part dropped, because they were making (I think) 10 for each series.

I was wrong. They're equally as good, if not better.

I would imagine most of you guys are familiar with the outline, but just in case, it follows the leader of a drug selling gang on the (fictional) Summerhouse estate in East London.

In season one there are two top boys, best mates Dushane and Sully, but it soon starts to get fractured with a power struggle developing as Sully starts to get more violent and do his own thing.

It reminds me a lot of Gomorrah in terms of the gritty realness of it, but without the proliferation of semi-automatics. Not because they're not as violent, they are, but because it's tough for your average thug to get an AK47 and there's a brilliant scene when they're talking the piss out of a local rapper because he's talking about AK47's and they're saying 'we ain't never seen an AK'

Very, very well acted and Sully is a really charismatic screen presence.

There is about an 8 year gap between when they filmed season 2 and 3 (now called 1)  so it's interesting to see some of the older characters come back.

I won't say any more than that because it could spoil the first 8 episodes for anybody who goes back.

I struggled to find a trailer for the first one as it kept bringing back the new stuff, but for those of you who haven't see nit, here you go.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Went back to watch what were the two original series of Top Boy that are now called Top Boy Summerhouse.

Only 4 seasons in each series from Channel 4, but really good stuff. so far (half way through the 3rd series done by Netflix)

I was concerned that Netflix wouldn't maintain the standard with series 3 and 4 which are confusingly called season 1 and 2 with the Summerhouse part dropped, because they were making (I think) 10 for each series.

I would imagine most of you guys are familiar with the outline, but just in case, it follows the leader of a drug selling gang on the (fictional) Summerhouse estate in East London.

In season one there are two top boys, best mates Dushane and Sully, but it soon starts to get fractured with a power struggle developing as Sully starts to get more violent and do his own thing.

It reminds me a lot of Gomorrah in terms of the gritty realness of it, but without the proliferation of semi-automatics. Not because they're not as violent, they are, but because it's tough for your average thug to get an AK47 and there's a brilliant scene when they're talking the piss out of a local rapper because he's talking about AK47's and they're saying 'we ain't never seen an AK'

There is about an 8 year gap between when they filmed season 2 and 3 (now called 1)  so it's interesting to see some of the older characters come back.

I won't say any more than that because it could spoil the first 8 episodes for anybody who goes back.

I struggled to find a trailer for the first one as it kept bringing back the new stuff, but for those of you who haven't see nit, here you go.

Bob, I am into the second series of Spiral, after I think your recommendation. I struggled a bit with Series 1 for a couple of reasons, partly because it being 16 years old it is somewhat dated. However, I am warming to Series 2. Strange old justice system has France, which seems to favour men significantly (particularly in respect of matrimonial matters).

15 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Bob, I am into the second series of Spiral, after I think your recommendation. I struggled a bit with Series 1 for a couple of reasons, partly because it being 16 years old it is somewhat dated. However, I am warming to Series 2. Strange old justice system has France, which seems to favour men significantly (particularly in respect of matrimonial matters).

I keep meaning to go back to Spiral and then something else crops up that we start watching.

Have you, or anybody in here, seen The Ipcress File. I. loved the movie and it does ok on IMDb.

19 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I literally came here to post the same thing

It's an Alan Partridge of a show

Unfathomable

It's like a sketch from a comedy show, with the joke being that it's so over-the-top that nobody's ever going to believe it.

It's numberwang; it's monkey tennis

Edited by AndyinLiverpool

On 25/03/2022 at 15:24, Bob The Badger said:

I was worried that Netflix would duckit up by making each series 10 episodes rather than 4, but I was so wrong.

The third season (the first on Netflix) has got more violent (way more guns), there has been better character development is the best by some way.

I have no clue why this isn't getting much chatter on here because it's Gerry Daly/10.

Those of you who liked Gomorrah will like this.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was worried that Netflix would duckit up by making each series 10 episodes rather than 4, but I was so wrong.

The third season (the first on Netflix) has got more violent (way more guns), there has been better character development is the best by some way.

I have no clue why this isn't getting much chatter on here because it's Gerry Daly/10.

Those of you who liked Gomorrah will like this.

Just started watching Top Boy having finished Gomorrah recently and looking for something that comes close.  I have started with series 1 which is actually series 3 by the sound of it, so i need to watch Summerhouse first, is this correct?

On 22/03/2022 at 21:01, Rev said:

Just watched the last one, I'm struggling to think of a better series. 

Maybe The Wire, although I did give up halfway through the final series on that.

Started watching ZeroZeroZero on NowTV as it’s created by the same person that created Gomorrah but I’m a little disappointed. Perhaps too Americanised.