v Norwich away (Matchday thread).

Rev

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a game, 30 minutes we got battered and full credit to Norwich, however showed incredible spirit to win.

This is what FL gives you, its easy to be a critic of the defence, but the way he sets up the team is to attack, and that has to be taken into account when playing the high risk football we do and the mistakes it can lead to.

This season has already had so many more exciting games than last, roll on 2019 ?

Loads of great moments and performances today but I think Tomori deserves a massive shoutout.

I’m a massive Fikayo fan but today’s goal has pushed me over the edge, sending him my underwear in the post now. There are so many new players who are playing so well for us this year but I just think Tomori typifies what’s so good about this team.

He brings such an amazing energy to every game, he’s the sort of player that you can tell has the potential to be a real winner. He’s really passionate, energetic and so confident for his age. It was perfectly captured in his goal today. He has the confidence to trust his ability and just smash it at goal then goes mental with his celebration getting our away fans up for it after an awful start.

Not to mention he’s a smart defender, fantastic on the ball and knows how to use his athleticism to help out other players. You can tell he’s inexperienced but he makes up for it, gets caught out of position today and gets himself a goal a few minutes later.

The accepted wisdom in the Championship is that experienced old heads who’ve been there before get you promotion but you need players with Tomori’s mentality to get you over the top. He has everything that we lacked last season.

All the lads were fantastic today but I just think Tomori’s a blinding talent.

I've been waiting for Evans to finally get fit and some match time, and thought he grew into

the game and deserves a mention here, for his coolness under pressure, and some first class

blocks and passes, can imagine what FL saw in him now - with a few more matches under his

belt we've definitely got a winner imo  ?

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Great win but it’s also concerning going forward and I hope it doesn’t cover over the cracks. We are putting ourselves in a position by not beating sides like Millwall, Rotherham, Stoke,  Bolton and Home games like forest, blackburn and Bristol City where we almost have to win these bigger games (same with West Brom) to keep up with the rest. We are conceding near enough every game meaning we have to score at least 2 to win a game.  The teams that get promoted have a solid foundation which we currently don’t. We can’t keep relying on our forwards because there will be games where they don’t perform like against Villa. I’m not a fan of 4-3-3 with our current team because we don’t have any control. We need a more solid foundation with 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders(two out of Huddlestone, Evans and Ledley), and allow Wilson and Mount to play as high up the pitch as possible where they can be more effective. Alternatively, a back three formation where we add another defender like Pearce instead of Jozefzoon/Lawrence may be an option as we can’t defend crosses.

We all know we have very talented attacking midfielders and forwards but the balance isn’t quite right at the moment with the protection to the back 4.

It's not protection that's a problem so much as how the midfield and defence link up. Distribution is laboured and we get caught out of shape too easily.

All that said, we are by no means alone in our dodgy defending in the top 6. There's been some kamikaze defending from Norwich recently, Leeds have leaked goals all over the festive period and West Brom are easily spooked at the back. Boro are the only top 6 side who have conceded fewer than 20, and scoring is their problem.

We need to cut out silly mistakes but I don't think counting clean sheets is a measure of success for any defence in the context of this season (not saying you are).

Wow, what a come back, one thing I will say about this bunch players, they never give in, so proud to be a ram, it also shows that any team can win on there day, it's going to be a exciting second half of the season, also think winning a game like this will do us a power of good. Bring on Boro now, think the players will be well up for it, also myself and thousands of Rams will be ready, hope we are all bouncing at the end, a great way to start 2019.

Archived