First Derby Player You Ever Saw Score a Goal Live

DarkFruitsRam7

21 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Sounds like I'm a bit of a late starter based on some of the comments on here.

My first Derby goal was Arturo Lupoli vs Wrexham in the cup.

Well, that was my kid's first game so you are in good company - he got a hat-trick that day.

As for me, as seems popular on this thread, it was John O'Hare though mine was in the 2-1 victory against Sheff Utd in Oct 1972. I'm actually surprised they scored at all given they appear to have not actually fielded a team.

It was the Saturday after we beat Benfica 3-0....

image.thumb.png.ad1df9c4a0bcefcfca3491a7c1124e0f.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith Havenhand in a 1-1 draw against Rotherham at the BBG in March 1962 - I was 8 years old at the time :-

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-rotherham-united-03-march-1962-110920/

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper     Reg Matthews
Defender       Mick Hopkinson
Full back      Geoff Barrowcliffe
Centre half     Les Moore
Wing half      Glyn Davies
Outside right    Don Roby
Centre forward    Bill Curry
Forward        Bob Stephenson
Winger         Ray Swallow

I had to look up the goalscorer.

It was a pretty ropey match - I couldn't believe how long, and how often, the ball seemed to be in the air!

I believe it was Bob Stephenson's debut, memorable because he was Derbyshire's Wicketkeeper understudy to 
Bob Taylor. Ian Buxton was a regular player round those years, so we had two Cricketing footballers on the 
Books at that time.  

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Well, that was my kid's first game so you are in good company - he got a hat-trick that day.

As for me, as seems popular on this thread, it was John O'Hare though mine was in the 2-1 victory against Sheff Utd in Oct 1972. I'm actually surprised they scored at all given they appear to have not actually fielded a team.

It was the Saturday after we beat Benfica 3-0....

image.thumb.png.ad1df9c4a0bcefcfca3491a7c1124e0f.png

Another one with Nish at Right back and Robson at left back.

i don't remember that at all.

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Alan Durban v Spurs in 1973, which we won 5 - 0. Saw it from the Popside in the biggest ever Baseball Ground attendance!

What a debut!

The record attendance of 41, 826 was indeed v Spurs (I know that without Google), but wasn't it late '60S?  Poss '67?  Without Google, I couldn't tell you the score.

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

Tell us more?

Travelled down from Preston with my late father (where my other half of the family lived). Got there so early - very excited - but was desperate to get up in the Ley Stand to see the pitch. 

We were first up there - and a journo from the Ram came over to talk to us. And took our photos - and created the story of ‘Ian (7) in the Ley Stand with the  Lark.”

it was published in the Ram - the next week. Not sure I still have the photo in the loft!! 

Be be great to go through the Ram archive!!

Best day out for a seven year old 

think Booby Moore played that day - for WH - FL senior did. But for me - the start of being a Ram 

On 22/11/2018 at 15:07, reveldevil said:

Dean Saunders vs Everton, the 3-2 game with the Goddard chip.

I was surprised it was 89 looking it up, I thought it was earlier.

What a game to go to if that was your first. An amazing match when Everton were really good, but so were we. Goddard and Saunders - the thinking man's strike partnership. 

On 22/11/2018 at 22:57, ScamRam said:

Gerry Daly, followed by two from John Duncan in a 4-1 win against Forest. Not a bad way to start my love affair with the Rams! Nov 1979

Unfortunately we didn't win for ever after that match, something like 15 games, and we're relegated! But I remember it well and it would have been an incredible atmosphere in which to begin. 

Great thread from @BurtonRam7but although I was lucky enough to share a season ticket from when I was 4 or 5, it means I simply don't remember. And no one can tell me the first game I went to. 

Dunno whether it is the first I saw but its the earliest I can remember. 

Kinkladze scored a freekick after Lee Morris had gone for the ball, their keeper was judged to have handled outside the area and sent off, the sub keepers first thing to do was to pick the ball out the net. 

1513440986_ScreenShot2018-11-24at11_08_30.thumb.png.495138c6952c2156e3c642e2058bd7ad.pngEDIT: Just done some research - We beat Rotherham 3-0... Look at that starting line up... Warren Barton ffs

John Gregory ahead of his time with the 433!

14 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

millwall.JPG.ebe9f8731a712e6e2702f2c7b8c878bb.JPG

Kevin Hector, the King himself! All I can remember about the game was the general buzz and atmosphere and the score. I was 8 years old and didn't know any of the players, although I'm sure I must have known about Kevin Hector by the time the final whistle was sounded,

Remember that game well.  We were 3-1 down with 5 mins to go. Was with my uncle that day and we decided to leave early to miss the traffic (his decision not mine) and I missed two late goals to make it 3-3

Notts County 0  v.  Derby  1  12/9/1953 , Big Norman Neilson the scorer.  Attendance : 23, 899

Ray Middleton (Justice of the Peace (JP), Bert Mozley (England international), Geoff Barrowcliffe (probrably Derby's best uncapped player), Albert Mayes (useful snooker player), Ken Oliver ("Rubberneck"), Colin Walker (graduated from DCFC offices to first team), Reg Harrison (still going strong I believe), Jimmy Dunn (born Edinburgh), Norman Neilson ( South African, better known as a centre half), Jack Lee (England international and played County Championship cricket for Leicestershire), Cecil Law (Rhodesian).

Notts centre half Smith sent off, thumped someone in the crowd as he was going down the tunnel!

Thanks @BurtonRam7 for creating this thread - lots of memories for all of us!

Archived