First Derby Player You Ever Saw Score a Goal Live

DarkFruitsRam7

16 minutes ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Notts County 0  v.  Derby  1  12/9/1953 , Big Norman Neilson the scorer.  Attendance : 23, 899

Ray Middleton (Justice of the Peace (JP), Bert Mozley (England international), Geoff Barrowcliffe (probrably Derby's best uncapped player), Albert Mayes (useful snooker player), Ken Oliver ("Rubberneck"), Colin Walker (graduated from DCFC offices to first team), Reg Harrison (still going strong I believe), Jimmy Dunn (born Edinburgh), Norman Neilson ( South African, better known as a centre half), Jack Lee (England international and played County Championship cricket for Leicestershire), Cecil Law (Rhodesian).

Notts centre half Smith sent off, thumped someone in the crowd as he was going down the tunnel!

Thanks @BurtonRam7 for creating this thread - lots of memories for all of us!

Blimey that's going back a bit you old bugger lol

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first game was vs Watford in 1992 a month after my 6th Birthday. It was Peter Shilton’s last game for Derby.

I didn’t know who scored until I just googled it but it turns out it was Paul Williams

I don’t remember the game it’s self but do remember the day. I just watched the highlights on YouTube. The man I was named after won us a penalty in the second half ?

Couldn't resist adding to this thread. September 24th 1966, Alan Durban scored three against Huddersfield at the BBG, but was overshadowed by a debutant, who only scored one. It was King Kevs first game, and mine, and he effectively tied me to The Rams forever. I thought he was the best player I had ever seen, although having been raised on a diet of Ilkeston Town, that wasn't too difficult.

14 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Alan Durban v Spurs in 1973, which we won 5 - 0. Saw it from the Popside in the biggest ever Baseball Ground attendance!

What a debut!

That was 1969. 

August 1967 John O'Hare on his debut v Charlton Athletic, we won 3-2. Seem to remember we began reasonably well that season, but faded and finished fifth from bottom with a couple of vital wins towards the end to keep us up. The next season, ran away with it and promoted!

Happy times to be a junior Ram!

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Dunno whether it is the first I saw but its the earliest I can remember. 

Kinkladze scored a freekick after Lee Morris had gone for the ball, their keeper was judged to have handled outside the area and sent off, the sub keepers first thing to do was to pick the ball out the net. 

1513440986_ScreenShot2018-11-24at11_08_30.thumb.png.495138c6952c2156e3c642e2058bd7ad.pngEDIT: Just done some research - We beat Rotherham 3-0... Look at that starting line up... Warren Barton ffs

John Gregory ahead of his time with the 433!

We were playing 4-4-2 that game, Boertien was LM (that has us as 5-3-2 as well ?

I went to my first game in the late 70's, cant remember much about it except we drew (0-0?) because I remember saying that it will be replayed next week and having to have the difference between league and cup matches explained.

So it must be the Archie Gemmil free kick against forest in 1982... That's not too bad though is it?

10th January 1959.  F A Cup  v First Division Preston NE. (Tom Finney playing for PNE) with my dear old Dad.

2 -2 draw.  Played at the BBG with 2" of snow on the pitch and terraces. The wimps would not play with that amount 

of snow on the pitch today.

Remembered that Jack Parry was one of the Derby goal scorers but seemingly George Darwin got the first (I had to look that up).

Hooked ever since !!

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:11, A Ram for All Seasons said:

millwall.JPG.ebe9f8731a712e6e2702f2c7b8c878bb.JPG

Kevin Hector, the King himself! All I can remember about the game was the general buzz and atmosphere and the score. I was 8 years old and didn't know any of the players, although I'm sure I must have known about Kevin Hector by the time the final whistle was sounded,

Mine as well, carried on my late old man's shoulders aged 5. Funnily I remember the smell of Ley's as much as the noise we were in the Normanton Lower Tier.

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:04, mice_elf said:

Keith Havenhand in a 1-1 draw against Rotherham at the BBG in March 1962 - I was 8 years old at the time :-

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-rotherham-united-03-march-1962-110920/

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper     Reg Matthews
Defender       Mick Hopkinson
Full back      Geoff Barrowcliffe
Centre half     Les Moore
Wing half      Glyn Davies
Outside right    Don Roby
Centre forward    Bill Curry
Forward        Bob Stephenson
Winger         Ray Swallow

I had to look up the goalscorer.

It was a pretty ropey match - I couldn't believe how long, and how often, the ball seemed to be in the air!

I believe it was Bob Stephenson's debut, memorable because he was Derbyshire's Wicketkeeper understudy to 
Bob Taylor. Ian Buxton was a regular player round those years, so we had two Cricketing footballers on the 
Books at that time.  

Ian hall also?

22 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

10th January 1959.  F A Cup  v First Division Preston NE. (Tom Finney playing for PNE) with my dear old Dad.

2 -2 draw.  Played at the BBG with 2" of snow on the pitch and terraces. The wimps would not play with that amount 

of snow on the pitch today.

Remembered that Jack Parry was one of the Derby goal scorers but seemingly George Darwin got the first (I had to look that up).

Hooked ever since !!

Would having a first game in the late 50s be about the best time. You got to see plenty of football pre-Clough, so when we won the leagues, you would be around the 20ish mark and fully appreicate it all.

If you started going late 60s, the quick success could almost sour what came after.

Archived