First Derby Player You Ever Saw Score a Goal Live

DarkFruitsRam7

Inspired by a Twitter thread, I thought it would be interesting to see who scored your first every Rams goal.

Mine was Giles Barnes in a 3-1 win over Burton at the Pirelli in pre-season 2006. Incidentally, Gary Rowett scored a consolation goal for the Brewers that day. Perhaps the weather was trying to warn us of the Rowett-Derby connection, as it started absolutely pelting it down with rain.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a competition, or just for fun?

Can I bend the rules a bit?

My first game was not only crap, but also ended goalless.

...However, we were presented with a very nice, and very shiny trophy after the final whistle.  It was engraved "Best Team in the Land", or words to that effect.

Have I won?   

Actually can't remember, so it becomes more a question of which is the first goal I remember rather than first one I probably saw.

Earliest one I remember is Deon Burton in a 3-1 win against Chelsea in 1999. Delap went on to get the other two.

Ok.

Goal-wise, I can only presume (as it's certainly not in my memory bank anywhere!) it must have been our first home goal of 75/76. 

Having now checked, Google is showing that as a Roy Mac 90th min consolation to make it Rams 1 - QPR 3...  Then QPR got 2 more before the whistle!  LOL!

As you may have now worked out, far from being a glory hunter, following that presentation of the Numero Uno Trophy at my first match, Derby's subsequent downfall runs precisely parallel with my own DCFC fan career.  I'm just glad nobody blames me!  

My first game was a 2-0 defeat to Villa on Boxing Day 1999 so no goalscorer.

It would have been the one and only Malcolm Christie.

In a 2-2 draw with Walsall in 2002. (3 years between my first 2 games!) Was a heartbroken 10 year old when the bar steward in black awarded them a last minute penalty.

That day i learned that life isn't fair and never will be.

I had no idea... so I had to go look it up.  It turns out it was Roger Davies. https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-southampton-16-february-1980-85158/

Looking at the records it was Davies' very last goal for Derby.

I have no recollection of that goal, but I do have a vivid memory of Charlie George playing for Saints with his bald head and shoulder length hair. ?

Archived