Derby County v Aston Villa Match Thread

AmericanRam

Villa’s star players have been together for a good while now.

At the mid-point last season they started earning their playoff position at about the time it was becoming clear that for us automatic promotion was a bridge too far.

We both have top notch managers, today Villa started their assault on promotion.

Just a pity it had to start at Pride Park.

Not the end of the world, just a turning in a long lane.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Brom are beating Leeds 4-0. We beat West Brom 4-1 and lost to Leeds 4-1. Yet another example of how varied the results in this league can be. Results like the Leeds game and today should not and cannot be the definition of our season, if we carry on playing like we have been recently then we'll forget this game even happened. I was very impressed with Villa though, if they don't make the play-offs at least I'd be surprised.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Cultural difference, perhaps.

In this country, we use hypnotists for two things.

Smoking cessation, and making drunk people dance like chickens.

Oh i see, thank you for the clarification.  Around here it's mostly dancing chickens and making weak minded believe they have become superhuman.  It was the latter i was inferring, although the former is always entertaining, it won't gain us any points am afraid.

39 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Why , when someone wants to try and give their PERSONAL perpsective that doesn’t fit in with the view of the mob do they have to get castigated ? People say that they appreciate that everyone can say what they want and then they get killed when they do just that.?

I realise  that there is this little clique on here but criticizing a player does not make one anti Rams or completely negative. People see games differently and some folks can be more objective than others.

As I posted last week wasn't sure why we were playing two wingers in midfield when we had a number of actual midfielder's to choose from and I got a lovely bit of sarcastic grief for it .  I think we saw why we shouldn't do this, against a much more mobile midfield today. You are spot on .

Regarding Thorne who is still being mentioned - I do rate him but if he isn't playing now can't see he will.  If he wasn't even given the opportunity to be in the team photo not sure he would want too.   I also mentioned a few weeks ago that it would be wise to keep Wisdom getting some game time as Bogle would lose some form at some time being only 18 . 

I keep hearing that Lawrence isn't putting in enough effort .  Basically no matter how much effort he puts in he is not good enough for where we need to be going.  Don't shoot the messenger .  Some of the comment's on here today are horrific. 

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thorne? Butterfield? Just don't see them being in Frank's plans.....

Nor do i. But without waghorn, bennett, bryson and mount we need more options.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Bogle isn’t very good is he? Gets beaten every time 1 v1 and is a terrible crosser.

We really need a better right back in January. Left back we are fine with Forsyth and Malone but there is a big difference in quality between our left backs and rights.

As for Lawrence, I have no words. Grealish is who Lawrence thinks he is. I don’t mind honest players like Bennett who acknowledge that they’re not very good but make up for it with work rate but it’s Lawrence’s arrogance that just annoys me.

When did Bennett say that? 

Such a frustrating day really, just when you think we’ve turned a corner with our performances in this block of games and looked to building some consistency, then we go on and play like we’re on the beach In Dubai somewhere today. Utterly dire and lifeless, far more concerning for me than the Rotherham and Bolton’s defeats. Occasionally it’s not your day, but when you’re completely dominated like we were today somethings up. Credit to villa but even they weren’t that good, we could have been 6 down if they could shoot. 

Dunno what they hell was up with our team, came out second half complacent and with a complete lack of desire. No pressing, no real attempt to win the ball back, no care with the ball, no movement, nothing. As I said earlier, feel bad for Marriott and Bennett who were the only ones who really tried till we actually started fighting... circa the 88th minute. Huddlestone did nothing, bogle cant defend or cross... and perhaps the killer, Keogh and tomori moved the ball with about the pace of the movement of the midfield, both utterly bank today.

Massive wake up call for our team that today, if you don’t play at 100% energy and with desire to win the ball back and move into places to receive it, you’ll just get beat. We just allowed villa to play without by our leave, and they cut straight through us. Couldn’t have made it easier for them. Big changes needed over the international break and players returning to fitness will be important. Big test of Lampard now, how does he respond to this match? What changes does he make? What’s the message to players? Will be very interesting to see.

Were still in a good position, but performances like that don’t see you anywhere. Consistency and more clean sheets required after the break.

We were tired and leggy. Villa are a side full of seasoned professionals. Yes it was a poor second half but credit to Villa. In the first half, we still tried to do the right thing and on another day could have scored a couple. Allowing way to may crosses into our box. Personally thought Keogh and Tamori did well under the pressure they received. 

Just not our day. Hopefully the players learn and keep growing. Still loving the football!

Strange league this one, didn’t see that coming or our win at the baggies or there win over Leeds.

thought we were off it in the 1st half , kept giving the ball away and then didn’t take out chances. That allowed villa to grow in confidence. In the 2nd half there was only one team in it and it could have been more than 0-3. 

I worried last week with our let’s picks all of our wingers policy but we won, this week our policy of picking people in the wrong position hurt us, Wilson and Holmes ( both excellent players) were swept aside by and experienced Villa midfield and that left Huddlestone and the back four exposed. Lawrence has Avery poor game.

for me our best players was Keogh...yes Keogh ( and I was at the match) and Marriott who never stopped trying. 

Our pressing game went out of the window...anyway let’s move on, Wednesday next and I tip Lawton get the winner and we will ha e our midfield back 

COYRs 

55 minutes ago, Kernow said:

West Brom are beating Leeds 4-0. We beat West Brom 4-1 and lost to Leeds 4-1. Yet another example of how varied the results in this league can be. Results like the Leeds game and today should not and cannot be the definition of our season, if we carry on playing like we have been recently then we'll forget this game even happened. I was very impressed with Villa though, if they don't make the play-offs at least I'd be surprised.

Dean Smith really can get a side to play a nice way. Great shape and discipline. When u look at how bad their away record has been up to now...well, before today.

They’ll be up there. How we come back after the break will key. We need to get straight back into the rhythm.

All these injuries are beginning to mount up to.  

Johnson needs a game. He was playing really well after a gd string of games and was looking much fitter to me. But he hasn’t played a game for quite a while now and his match fitness will be off. Probably take him a couple of games to get back to where he was.

Marriott was the only player who could leave with his head held high. Worked his socks off with no support whatsoever.

Tomori had a decent-ish game but just won't take any responsibility with the ball in possession. Keeps giving it Keogh who just didn't seem to know whether to really push forward or keep it safe. Very little options in midfield for him and no width either. All very slow and without zip.

Think the criticism of Huddlestone is a tad unfair.. he did what he does best. Just very little movement for him aside from Marriott.

Bennett...not quite good enough for me. Fozzy was awful...looked out of sorts. Bogle not much better. Didn't get forward and were overlapped at the back time and again and stood off for crosses...Villa should have had more.

Lawrence was anonymous. Wilson a little busier but no one to bounce off.  Holmes looked good in possession but seemed to be on the edges of the game. 

Even first half. Shocking 2nd. Could  easily have been 5 or 6. Just felt totally over ran...sloppy ... outclassed. Villa have dangerous players going forward but we made them look world class. A

Not gonna totally slate them but losing 3-0 at home and being flattered by that, isnt a case of one of those days where things went against us...we were just really poor. Maybe Mount and his ability to get on the ball and retain possession is under rated. Just very ragged and sloppy in midfield and slow from the back. Very bad day at the office.

The ref was bloody terrible too.

Hard to  believe 2nd half it was same team from last few games. Nice break and go again.  

I am not concerned that much really, lambasting a poor performance on here will do more harm than good. We are not a Wolves or a Newcastle, we are going to lose games, especially against good teams like Villa. I thought Villa were excellent in midfield and up top, suspect defensively. Jack Grealish was a class above, he won't be at Villa next season if they don't go up. We move on, this league is wide open.  

A bad day at the office but we move on, when Forsyth was injured some twit in the east stand was shouting abuse, if I new who it was, he would have got a slap, when a player is down, please do not hurl abuse, first poor game for ages and the moaners are off, and as for Keogh having a poor game you know naff all about football, Keogh and Marriott was our best players today, think Villa are the team to beat, played well today in the second half, so well done to them, will be good to get players like Mount,Bryson and Waghorn back. 

Have to remember that Lampard is still a relatively experienced manager. Dean Smith sussed it out today. Rams need to become a bit more street wise. This was a game 'not to lose' and maybe the manager should have selected a team accordingly? Just a thought.... 

Most disappointing thing about today is that we've allowed Villa back into the race. A win today for us would have been a crushing blow for them. It hurts to get beat but in the grand scheme of things it isn't the end of the world for us. We can and we will recover from this. I'm taking comfort from the fact we got tonked at home but we're still above the Gumps and Snake City. As bad as we played today there's a good chance that it was more entertaining than the snore draw at the ShiTTy Ground. 

6 minutes ago, europia said:

Have to remember that Lampard is still a relatively experienced manager. Dean Smith sussed it out today. Rams need to become a bit more street wise. This was a game 'not to lose' and maybe the manager should have selected a team accordingly? Just a thought.... 

Maybe. Gary would’ve gone for a draw (although we somehow won last season - cracking team performance to be fair) and Nigel would’ve gone for a narrow defeat ?

First sub / tactical change seemed to change things but Villa were just better. I don’t especially rate Adomah but somehow he has a good game against us every time. 

We lost today the moment Bennett was injured and Frank replaced him with flojo. We were getting out muscled all day. But when Bennett went off, Johnson should have come on centrally and Holmes pushed wide. Frank is great but not infallible. Wrong subs and formation changes today. Onwards and upwards  though. Feel so so sorry for Forsyth, was proving me and several others wrong  before today’s injury 

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

And the North? West? East? 

Thought they were ok first half, second half rightfully subdued. 

Dont get the South Stand hate. Be nice if one of the other stands turn up once this decade! 

Probabaly one of those people who think South Stand is full of common class, good for nothing drunken, hooligans. 

Archived