Derby County v Aston Villa Match Thread

AmericanRam

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Spot on. Most Rams fans are pretty good to be fair and I suspect like you, would rather see us messing up the odd game playing attacking footy than trying to become metronomic shithouses like Stoke, Boro and co. It's the ones who expect us to smash every game I feel sorry for. Must be awful being them. Never going to enjoy it, are they?  Yesterday was a pretty humbling experience but I'd fancy us to go to Hillsborough in a fortnight and get ourselves straight back in the mix.

You are so boring with this .

Leave it out .

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, rynny said:

Wilson - a couple of good efforts, did Chester handle the ball on the line?

It's hard to tell from the replays even, he certainly leaned into it with his arm out but on balance I've come to the conclusion that it was chest - the closest man to the incident is Marriott and he didn't raise even a speculative appeal for it.

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It's hard to tell from the replays even, he certainly leaned into it with his arm out but on balance I've come to the conclusion that it was chest - the closest man to the incident is Marriott and he didn't raise even a speculative appeal for it.

That's what I thought with Marriott not appealing.

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You post that much it’s all over the bored. 

Mate, we joined the same year and you've posted nearly 6 times as many pearls of wisdom as I have. Over 19,000 of them, in fact ?Also, quick word of advice - 'bored' is how I feel about this little interaction, whereas this 'board' is where it's posted. 

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Mate, we joined the same year and you've posted nearly 6 times as many pearls of wisdom as I have. Over 19,000 of them, in fact ?Also, quick word of advice - 'bored' is how I feel about this little interaction, whereas this 'board' is where it's posted. 

Watch the Rugby on BBC 2 mate it’s more exciting than yesterday. 

Just ignore me. 

Like I say we played perfect footy yesterday. 

Lampard can do no wrong can he. 

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?!?

Just a little sidenote, was late I to the ground yesterday and hadn’t eaten. Basically ran into my seat after 2-3 minutes played. After 20 mins and realised I hadn’t eaten anything all day, a break in play for an injury gave me the chance to rush downstairs and pick up my first ever match day pie. I tell you what, I know it’s pukka pies, but that Chicken Balti ain’t bad...pricey mind

58 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Spot on. Most Rams fans are pretty good to be fair and I suspect like you, would rather see us messing up the odd game playing attacking footy than trying to become metronomic shithouses like Stoke, Boro and co. It's the ones who expect us to smash every game I feel sorry for. Must be awful being them. Never going to enjoy it, are they?  Yesterday was a pretty humbling experience but I'd fancy us to go to Hillsborough in a fortnight and get ourselves straight back in the mix.

Yep we luckily beat villa 2-0 last December in this fixture, having very little possession from memory using rowettball tactics.    We may not make the playoffs this season? But at least we definitely won’t capitulate in any fixture under frank like we did against Fulham back in May.  

Unfortnley thins went yesterday right from kick we lost the ball even through we could gone 2 or 3 goals ahead before half time. But losing Mason Bennett was a blow as he compacting villa well. But once he went off lads heads went down. I think tom huddlestone needs a break next game I bring bradley johnson back in with mount and bryson if fit.

"The ref was a joke, but no-one laughed". Said by my daughter after today's match.

No matter what will be said about how we played or didn't play, today's match was hugely influenced by the match officials, who were awful throughout the entire game. 

The first half was pretty well balanced, with Derby looking more threatening, while not being at their best. Knowing that we usually come out for the second half and up our game, I was OK about things at half time. Second half, and it was Villa who upped the tempo, and we struggled to match them. I felt that we needed to hold them for about 10 minutes or so and up our tempo, but we didn't go up the gear or two we needed to. The game turned on three, no four appalling refereeing decisions one after another. Marriott was bashed to the ground, right in front of the t w a t (this is the only way to beat the autocorrect) in black - nothing given. We attacked and their left back dived near his own corner flag, right in front of the ref's assistant - free kick to Villa. Another Derby attack, and their no. 14 dived in his own penalty area. There was no contact, but - free-kick to Villa. From that they broke and were given no, gifted another free-kick, and the first goal flowed from that. Villa had been the better side in the second half, but at that point the Rams' heads went down, almost as though they had decided "What's the point of competing, he'll only give them another free-kick". The next two goals were inevitable - to come out after the interval lethargically and remain lethargic, and then let their heads go down was very poor.

It is the first time that I have seen the Derby players en masse surrounding the ref time and time again - we simply don't do this. Individual players were having a go at him throughout the match as well, again, something which we don't do. It was missing from Villa which surprised me now that John Terry is there. The nastiness which made much of his game was there though. However, we shouldn't let our heads go down like that, no matter how bad the ref is. And even though we couldn't match the pace of Villa after the restart, we should have fought our way back into it, but never did.

IN his RD post-match interview Frank said that the substitution was aimed at toughening up the midfield. He went 3 at the back, pushing the spare defender into midfield, but almost immediately we lost Mason Bennett, and had to revert back to 4 at the back. So the midfield didn't get strengthened because of an injury, not because of poor tactics

Frank identified the problem as complacency in his RD after-match interview, and there was a lot of sloppy play throughout the team. Biggest let down was Tom Lawrence, who simply didn't seem bothered for much of the match, and produced virtually nothing apart from a couple of shots. Tom Huddlestone was off the pace for much of the match, but that was because he was carrying a bad injury for much of the match. He played a ball from the edge of the centre circle and was caught with a nasty wack on the calf'ankle area, and had an ice pack strapped on it after the match. It happened right in front of the ref who acknowledged Tom's appeal, but let play go on, and then refused to deal with the offender afterwards. We did give Jack "sit down on the floor and I'll get a free-kick" Grealish quite a kicking so that at least the free-kicks he kept being gifted were at least earned in some way. It might also be that Tom Huddlestone was given such a kicking because he clattered Grealish virtually straight from the kick-off!

Another problem was our tendency for zonal marking. So many times a Villa player passed to a team-mate, with the Derby player having to react and try and run across to the man who had received the ball. But he was already late because the ball was already being played to another team mate who was standing in space, because the Derby player who should have been marking him was actually a few yards away marking the zone. But nobody passes to a zone, they pass to a team-mate, so our approach allows the opposition to zip the ball from man to man quickly and effectively.

Today should serve as a wake up call, but we shouldn't have been dozing off. Despite Villa being the better side in the second half, that was largely because we let them. They were beatable. However, at the start of the season we had no expectations of being where we are in the league, so we are still miles ahead of ourselves. We have maybe found out how to beat a bus-parking, negative team (Birmingham City), something which has been difficult for us for years, but we still have to work out how to beat the ref.

I am sure that Frank and Jody will put the international break to good use and we will come back the better for it. And we will have a few injuries cleared up as well, so COME ON YOU RAMS.

Archived