Derby County v Aston Villa Match Thread

AmericanRam

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

@rynny - what an excellent  (and sensible) summary! 

I think you've picked up on a really important point at the end there about the diving of the Villa players and the impact that this had on our morale. I am always unsure if I am being biased when I feel that the referee is giving cheap free kicks but I thought that he completely bought Grealish's antics whilst letting some similar if not worse contacts go when it was our players going down.

I think this set the tone for a rather tetchy match and we gradually let that get to us.

We were visibly carrying knocks from some of those contacts even before the more serious injuries second half and got out muscled rather than outplayed up the point where they brought Bolassie on. He's their most dangerous player but not fit to do 90 minutes. He changed the game, Villa grew in confidence and completely deserved their win.

Yet if we'd taken any of our first half chances (and they were good ones) I think we'd have been the team growing in confidence and would have gone on to win.

Fine margins in football and yesterday all those went against us.

Cheers Angie. 

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Given this is your second post slagging off the fans, I guess you're frustrated that I'm the only one taking the bait. 

Do you have anything to say about the game, players performance, team selection, Villa's performance?

We played ok first half, should have 1 or 2. Villa were better than us second half.

Don't get so uppity, the South Stand was excellent against Brum, was rubbish yesterday. Most should go sit in the North Stand if they will only song when we're winning. It's not the wall of sound we were promised.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are the serious injuries? 

Who are the key players that have lost form over one game?

Forsyth, Bennett, Forsyth was in tears, it didn’t look good but let’s hope it wasn’t as bad as it first looked like. Bennett’s didn’t look great either.

50 minutes ago, nottingram said:

My favourite part of the game was where Grealish went off for treatment, we countered from their corner down the side he was waiting to come in from, and the ref called him back on to perfectly intercept the counter. Hilariously bad officiating.

The worst part was the ref didn't actually call him on Grealish ran on without waiting and the ref let him get away with it. Should've at least been a booking. Not normally one to criticise the refs but he was horrific yesterday.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Forsyth, Bennett, Forsyth was in tears, it didn’t look good but let’s hope it wasn’t as bad as it first looked like. Bennett’s didn’t look great either.

So you don't know that anyone has got serious injuries then.

And who are the key players that have lost form and when did they lose it?

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you don't know that anyone has got serious injuries then.

And who are the key players that have lost form and when did they lose it?

IMO, CArson hasn’t looked right for a while, neither has Bogle. And that’s ignoring Lawrence.

Players generally know if it’s serious, the fact that Forsyth was in tears suggests that he knew that something was wrong, after suffering two serious injuries in the past.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

IMO, CArson hasn’t looked right for a while, neither has Bogle. And that’s ignoring Lawrence.

Players generally know if it’s serious, the fact that Forsyth was in tears suggests that he knew that something was wrong, after suffering two serious injuries in the past.

Carson is certainly putting us in danger with his kicking. 

Bogle yeah agree he looks out of form and needs rest, is he really a key player? Wisdom slots in there, may lose a bit on the attacking side but don't think Bogle has offered much on that front during our good spell.

Lawrence has been in and out of the team, form fluctuates as with most wingers, don't see him as a key player.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

My favourite part of the game was where Grealish went off for treatment, we countered from their corner down the side he was waiting to come in from, and the ref called him back on to perfectly intercept the counter. Hilariously bad officiating.

My folks called that one out. Had neverseen anything so bizarre from a ref.

Disappointing and unexpectedly poor performance given we'd had a whole week off for the first time in a while but there you go. 

Expect the unexpected. Or the Spanish inquisition. not sure which is less expected ?

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

We played ok first half, should have 1 or 2. Villa were better than us second half.

Don't get so uppity, the South Stand was excellent against Brum, was rubbish yesterday. Most should go sit in the North Stand if they will only song when we're winning. It's not the wall of sound we were promised.

Agree on both points. Honours even in the first half (Villa may have just about edged it) but they were easy and worthy winners in the second half. I don't know if the change coincided with Bennett going off. 

Regarding the fans, I guess I was just a bit annoyed by you calling them embarrassing (I'm not a south stander by the way) which I felt was way over the top.

Not quite a wall of sound but I'm not sure how we create it on a regular basis and, as I say, a challenge most clubs have (in my opinion). 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

If their midfield ran the show, and grealish didn't do owt, who did?

I thought grealish made Tom look like a big soft pudding.

It was McGinn and Hourihane.

I know you are a big fan of his, so tell me, what did he actually do? The only time he did anything positive was one pass in the first half out to the wing and put the ball 6 yards wide when through. 

4 hours ago, Tombo said:

I thought Villa were very beatable tbh, thought they showed almost nothing.

That's the really disappointing part. We gave three goals to absolute nothingness.

Villa waited for us to run out of steam then took us to the cleaners.we just can not defend.I love lampards style of football but we need more muscle in the team.Only Marriott turned up for me.

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

It was McGinn and Hourihane.

I know you are a big fan of his, so tell me, what did he actually do? The only time he did anything positive was one pass in the first half out to the wing and put the ball 6 yards wide when through. 

Tom was poor yesterday but in the previous 4 matches he had excelled, everyone has an off day.

Yesterday in general was unexpected and disappointing due to the performances in the previous 4 matches against good sides. Mount and Waghorn missing I think was a factor and a few having off days didn’t help. It’s frank’s job to find out why they had off days. 

Villa under Smith had lost both of there previous away games and had won just once on the road this season vs Hull on the opening day, so that makes the result smart even more. Wish there wasn’t an international break, we could do with a match on Tuesday to stop all the dwelling ?

17 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Marriott was the only player who could leave with his head held high. Worked his socks off with no support whatsoever.

Tomori had a decent-ish game but just won't take any responsibility with the ball in possession. Keeps giving it Keogh who just didn't seem to know whether to really push forward or keep it safe. Very little options in midfield for him and no width either. All very slow and without zip.

Think the criticism of Huddlestone is a tad unfair.. he did what he does best. Just very little movement for him aside from Marriott.

Bennett...not quite good enough for me. Fozzy was awful...looked out of sorts. Bogle not much better. Didn't get forward and were overlapped at the back time and again and stood off for crosses...Villa should have had more.

Lawrence was anonymous. Wilson a little busier but no one to bounce off.  Holmes looked good in possession but seemed to be on the edges of the game. 

Even first half. Shocking 2nd. Could  easily have been 5 or 6. Just felt totally over ran...sloppy ... outclassed. Villa have dangerous players going forward but we made them look world class. A

Not gonna totally slate them but losing 3-0 at home and being flattered by that, isnt a case of one of those days where things went against us...we were just really poor. Maybe Mount and his ability to get on the ball and retain possession is under rated. Just very ragged and sloppy in midfield and slow from the back. Very bad day at the office.

The ref was bloody terrible too.

Hard to  believe 2nd half it was same team from last few games. Nice break and go again.  

This is the sort of report of a game I look for, it's a realistic assessment of the game.

I've thought our full-backs have been poor in several of our recent games, rather than putting in a challenge, or getting in the face of the opposition, they back off.

I think Villa had done their home work and saw that it's Huddlestone who makes us tick and swamped him. Johnson should have been brought on early second half when it was obvious we were losing the midfield battle.

One of my mates 'What's App'd' me this morning: 'WTF happened to Derby yesterday?' Told him we didn't play well and deserved to lose.

It's funny how I feel more positive this season after losing 3-0 at home than I did last season after some of the games we won. Still think we're fortunate to have Frank and Jody and their team. I have confidence in them to sort things out and fully support the braver (and more enjoyable) style of football we're playing this year.

7 minutes ago, £2millionHaHa(1967Ram) said:

One of my mates 'What's App'd' me this morning: 'WTF happened to Derby yesterday?' Told him we didn't play well and deserved to lose.

It's funny how I feel more positive this season after losing 3-0 at home than I did last season after some of the games we won. Still think we're fortunate to have Frank and Jody and their team. I have confidence in them to sort things out and fully support the braver (and more enjoyable) style of football we're playing this year.

Spot on. Most Rams fans are pretty good to be fair and I suspect like you, would rather see us messing up the odd game playing attacking footy than trying to become metronomic shithouses like Stoke, Boro and co. It's the ones who expect us to smash every game I feel sorry for. Must be awful being them. Never going to enjoy it, are they?  Yesterday was a pretty humbling experience but I'd fancy us to go to Hillsborough in a fortnight and get ourselves straight back in the mix.

Archived