What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

Thorne needs to be playing regular football. Can do all the training in the world but he needs to get out there in match situations and almost relearn what he can do.  Andy Murray has said similar on his return to tennis. We are not in a position to throw Thorne in and see how he does. Maybe even a loan to someone like Burton.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to loan Thorne out, just until January. He needs to show he can still be ‘that’ player we all remember. If he does, he comes back and fights for his place, if not, well let’s cross that bridge at the time. 

Having Thorne back to his best would be epic in this side... 

This is nothing more than complete speculation but I wonder if there's a possibility of George going to Reading on loan? We're bringing in a player in his position for a very cheap fee, meaning we're gaining one more in GT's position, and Reading are losing one. Part of the deal could be that we loan Thorne to them for the season.

He'd be going back to work with Clement, where he managed the majority of the season injury free. Complete guess, but it wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've missed your intelligent posts...where have they been hiding?

You said exactly what I would say about him.

His passing is the saddest part of his demise. Last season his few attempts at creative passing were easily cut out and all of a sudden he went into this ultra safe and defensive mode. Was horrible to see.

Maybe some of it will come back with game time? 

Just he's not going to be afforded that luxury here. We can't have 25 games of him stood holding Keogh's hand while making passes Keogh could make and then having to sit deep so he's not done on the counter. The old Thorne used to back up the play didn't he? Used to have a lot of shots for a DM. Has he been in the opposing half since 2014? 

Right now he's Huddlestone without the passing. 

39 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Maybe some of it will come back with game time? 

Just he's not going to be afforded that luxury here. We can't have 25 games of him stood holding Keogh's hand while making passes Keogh could make and then having to sit deep so he's not done on the counter. The old Thorne used to back up the play didn't he? Used to have a lot of shots for a DM. Has he been in the opposing half since 2014? 

Right now he's Huddlestone without the passing. 

Last season was definitely left wondering if it was Rowett's style of play hampering him or if has just lost the talents he once had, unfortunately I feel it is the latter. 

17 hours ago, Coconut said:

Probably quite unfairly (and almost certainly complete balls) I've always thought he seems to have quite of a weak constitution, he always seemed to have the sniffles in interviews and I imagine him to have been quite a sickly child!

I'd say he's been desperately unlucky, and he has, but it just feels  like, if any player was going to pick up an infection from surgery for a broken leg, well it would be Thorne wouldn't it? Again, grossly unfair, but... ?

Why is Thorne's recovery always blighted by minor niggles? Why wasn't Forsyth's?

It's just.... aaarrrrggghhh.

It could be said that infections and complications from surgery are more likely if the patient doesn't constantly work on their rehab. I would imagine that Fozzy would have stuck to it, the hard worker he is

24 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

It could be said that infections and complications from surgery are more likely if the patient doesn't constantly work on their rehab. I would imagine that Fozzy would have stuck to it, the hard worker he is

Really? I'm not sure you have any medical basis for that...

Infections are generally just bad luck - Like a cold - You can take all the precautions in the world and still get them - And Thorne had come back from 2 bad injuries already - He'd know the routine, how to go about it and what to do

I actually worry more than last season was the fear setting in - 3 bad injuries now and the last one was probably more down to his lack of fear than anything else - Like Barker with his final Derby injury they're both players who put everything into a game and left everything out on the pitch - Every half-ball was challenged for - I wonder if Thorne has the fear now of playing that way and it's making him over-cautious in his approach to everything...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Infections are generally just bad luck - Like a cold - You can take all the precautions in the world and still get them - And Thorne had come back from 2 bad injuries already - He'd know the routine, how to go about it and what to do

I actually worry more than last season was the fear setting in - 3 bad injuries now and the last one was probably more down to his lack of fear than anything else - Like Barker with his final Derby injury they're both players who put everything into a game and left everything out on the pitch - Every half-ball was challenged for - I wonder if Thorne has the fear now of playing that way and it's making him over-cautious in his approach to everything...

I agree i think more than anything the mental side of x3 major injuries has really taken its toll.iv heard he had put some weight on last season and was not taking care of himself and struggling with his mind set. Injuries like he has had can have such a huge affect on the players mentality.i would imagine that it can be a real struggle to stay motivated 

I  think with this morning's signing of his namesake, this must spell the end of Gorgeous George as a Ram.  Which hurts big time because, as we all know, on his day he's the complete midfielder at this level. 

Oh how much different things could've been had he managed to pull out that challenge from Douglas... ?

9 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Infection missed because of excess swelling caused by not performing exercises to reduce swelling? Poor nutrition, obesity and smoking also. Maybe not keeping the surgical area clean

I did say it *could* be said. I'm not claiming itk. But George is a languid individual

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

Infection missed because of excess swelling caused by not performing exercises to reduce swelling? Poor nutrition, obesity and smoking also. Maybe not keeping the surgical area clean

I did say it *could* be said. I'm not claiming itk. But George is a languid individual

What evidence do you have for this?

Sith Happens
19 hours ago, ck- said:

TV

19 hours ago, ck- said:

TV ghhg

18 hours ago, Bigfella said:

We’ll thats fully explained the GT situation 

Im just glad he (or she) elaborated on the first post or i would have been confused too.

Archived